Mobil 1 vs Liqui Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Mobil 1 for many years but have recently been seeing Liqui Moly motor oil on store shelves. Liqui Moly is advertised as a German motor oil. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Liqui Moly or how it compares to Mobil 1.

Liqui Moly are the biggest engine oil company in Germany in terms of total sales to private customers, Castrol are a close second and Mobil third.
I have been using Synthoil High Tech 5/40 for some time and my UOA results are very good so far, although Castrol have cut their prices so I will change to Edge TD 5/40 next to see how it compares.
The only way to compare the different oils would be to do a few UOA's, as I don't think there are any posted showing a change from one oil to the other.

It's pretty hard to compare two huge oil companies as a whole. If you had a specific type of Mobil and Liqui-Moly oils it might be easier for people to comment.

Pretty strange name for a German company. Sounds like the kind of mousemilk sticker you used to see on Indy cars, next to the MOTOR MEDIC decal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
Liqui Moly are the biggest engine oil company in Germany in terms of total sales to private customers, Castrol are a close second and Mobil third.

Really??? I have seen Liqui Moly here more and more on selves but I never thought they were that big in Germany. For some reason I had impression that Aral would be bigger than LM - just an impression.

He said Liqui Moly is the biggest "engine oil" company in Germany in terms of sales to private customers. It is not the biggest oil company in Germany nor is it the best. Here in the US, Taco Bell is the largest "pseudo Mexican" fast food chain but not the best nor the largest fast food chain.

Liqui Moly is not a factory fill for any vehicles made in Germany.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It's pretty hard to compare two huge oil companies as a whole. If you had a specific type of Mobil and Liqui-Moly oils it might be easier for people to comment.

Exactly.
That said, M1 0W-40 is superior to LM's 0W/5W-40 offerings.
LM does have some interesting 30wt oils including a 0W-30.

They are only the biggest for private sales, FUCHS are no 1 for commercial engine oils.
LM and Castrol are way ahead of the other engine oil companies in Germany as can be seen in this section:
LM market share
They are also a big snake oil producer although most of their additives are sold to farmers or Russians who want to use cheap bulk oil that they already have for their cars.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 has Always been my Favorite, but Lately I have been thinking Exotic. LiquiMoly, Pentosin and Motul have been in My Mind for 4 or 5 months now, Lately alot More.

I dont have any LiquiMoly, Pentosin or Motul. Maby thats why. Wait, I do have 1 Lone quart of LiquiMoly 5w-40 Vintage 2002 or 2003 that I got from Jerrys Auto supply here in Wenatchee, WA. Now this same oil is at nearly every NAPA around here. I want to get some of the LiquiMoly 0w-30 and 0w-40 Fully Synthetic. Four 5 Liter Jugs of each would be nice.

Got any proof, like averaged out UOA results. The BMW forum averaged out results for a 5K OCI showed Castrol Edge 5/40 was better than M1 0/40 and a recent UOA result in this forum showed the same.

Last edited:
The proof is on Mobil's web site. The Mobil1 0w40 is factory filled for many vehicles whereas the Castrol Edge is not. That is solid evidence and not some anecdotal UOAs on the internet.

Go to the European oil forum and check out the initial opinions on Castrol 0W-40.

Liqui/Lubro Moly does seem enticing esp the 5W-30 with an ACEA A3/B4 and VW 502 spec. These are sold at NAPA for around $40 per 5 liter jugs - yes, that's liters.

Providing factory fill oil is just one part of the engine oil business, it does not mean that Mobil make the best oil, it just means they are a cheaper source of good quality oil from the manufacturers point of view. It's very much a business decision as to whether to chase factory fill contracts or not. Liqui Moly for example don't get involved in that part of the business but concentrate on the private market. Fuchs do provide some factory fill oils and fluids but don't bother much with the private market. Different companies specialize in different sectors of the engine oil market.
I still havn't seen any evidence as to why M1 0/40 is thought by it's fans to be better than other synthetic oils.

Liqui-Moly's Synthoil Energy 0w40 is a decent oil -- very similar specs to Mobil 1 0w40. Only problem is that it costs more.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Providing factory fill oil is just one part of the engine oil business, it does not mean that Mobil make the best oil, it just means they are a cheaper source of good quality oil from the manufacturers point of view.

This is why you don't have a clue. Do you think Mercedes AMG, Porsche, Bently, Aston Martin, McLaren, etc. were looking for a cheap source of good quality oil for their vehicles? Even when their total productions is only a few hundreds per year? Sheeeesshh, you are losing it man.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
The proof is on Mobil's web site. The Mobil1 0w40 is factory filled for many vehicles whereas the Castrol Edge is not. That is solid evidence and not some anecdotal UOAs on the internet.

So what does that mean exactly? That Mobil has either paid for such a distinction or its a marketing measure.
Factory fill doesn't mean much.
That being said I like the whole liqui-moly line of products. Their additives actually live up to the advertising and their oils look good on paper.
I've got 20 liters of the 0w-40,5 liters of the 10w-40 with mos2 already in the mix,a few random quarts of 5w or 0w-20(can't remember),5 cans of cera-tec,a few cans of motor oil saver and a few cans of mos2 in my stockpile.
Not much is in the M1 0w-40 league though. It's one of the most certified oils on the planet,but I would take red line over it any day of the week.
Liqui-moly may have to prove its worth here in the North American market since (according to skunkship,for whatever his word is worth) it already has in Europe. And since that where they get the best oils(sarcasm) it must be great stuff.
Right skunkship.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

So what does that mean exactly? That Mobil has either paid for such a distinction or its a marketing measure.
Factory fill doesn't mean much.

Tell me another manufacturer approved street legal oil that is advertised to be also race ready besides Mobil 0w40. Why do manufacturers of several hundred thousand dollars vehicles with horse power north of 600+ want cheap oil in their cars under warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back