BITOG app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck, we could post when stuff is on sale when in store. Maybe members would be more apt to post pics etc.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
That would be cool

+1

Would make it much easier to navigate on my smartphone. Laptop's down for the moment (one of the kids stepped on it and obliterated the screen) and it's sometimes a pain to get around the site.

My iPhone 5 handles the site with ease in regular desktop view. Everything is fully functional.

My previous HTC EVO 4G also didn't have a problem navigating the site.

Of course to post a picture I need the laptop in order to resize the photo and unload it to photobucket. Doing all of this from the store would be a headache on the smart phone.

This site has worked perfectly on both my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. I use the photo bucket app to post pictures, as it directly gives me the IMG code.

The last thing I want is an app for every last forum that I go to visit.

What would you get from an app that you can't get just by accessing the site from a web browser of your phone? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What would you get from an app that you can't get just by accessing the site from a web browser of your phone? Just curious.

Careful asking.. You may be labeled one of those "bitog senior citizens brigade against change" from someone who has no clue on what things it takes to keep this site running much less have time and money for new things.

Amazing..
06.gif

For those that wouldnt want to use the app, then dont use it. Pretty simple. I'll bet it would increase membership just having it out on android or Iphone app stores. Or at a minimum it would create awareness that may cross promote to desktops/laptops. Just throwing it out there.

Seriously, what do these apps do that make them so much better than using the regular browser on my phone, which works perfect?

Maybe some folks have castrated "smart phones"?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
This site has worked perfectly on both my iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. I use the photo bucket app to post pictures, as it directly gives me the IMG code.

The last thing I want is an app for every last forum that I go to visit.

There are plenty of apps already out there that would work--i.e. tap-a-talk for example. I have many of my forums loaded in this app. Although the BITOG site works on my Android (and my iPhone when I had one) it is not formatted for mobile devices and so it is harder to navigate versus using a PC.

Seriously, what do these apps do that make them so much better than using the regular browser on my phone, which works perfect?

Quite a number of the forum software producers have "app" versions for their boards. They aren't as much a function of the site, but rather the software running it. Considering this board is built on a pretty broadly supported piece of software, it is quite likely that making a "BITOG" app would be a simple customization and implementation of this.

I don't use forum apps either, so I'm a bit ignorant to this, but supposedly using the app uses less data and gives a more smartphone friendly interface.
21.gif

Looks and works fine with my Nexus 4 and my old Sony Xperia arc S.

Looked okay with my wife's ex-iphone 3gs.

Maybe we start a fund for those who want one to contribute to the cost/design and maintenance for the app?

I don't think it as much about looking good or working good on smartphones as it is possibly acccesibility to new members, exposure, ease of access, site promotion etc. The site works fine on my phone also, although it is a bit cumbersome to navigate compared to my PC. There are some members on here a heck of a lot smarter than I am that could bring up many other benfits. As far as a way to finance it, would other sponsers be more likely to advetise here if we had an app?

For example, if we wanted to use Tap-a-talk on here, somebody would have to purchase the plug-in for the forum and then it would need to be integrated.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Careful asking.. You may be labeled one of those "bitog senior citizens brigade against change" from someone who has no clue on what things it takes to keep this site running much less have time and money for new things.

Amazing..
06.gif

Im aware it costs a good chunk of change to keep the site going. I also know that it would cost alot to make an app across multiple platforms.

Im sure if you put the word out that more cash is needed in order to make a mobile app, i bet donations would come in faster than ever.

I just like to be updated on post that i contribute to or just really find interesting. Also it would be great to not have to refresh my browser if i minimize it on my desktop or mobile device. And it could really be a asset to members who PM each other constantly for specific help.

The reason for my brigade remark is that i sense a major opposition to change from regular members , not MODS . These members are against the idea of site redesign, mobile friendly site, and a stand alone app regardless of the financial cost or the sites ability to afford it.

With all due respect, your taking my comment way to personal. No one will leave the site die to a lack of a mobile app , even if the site is unchanged 10 years from now.

Last edited:
Im aware it costs a good chunk of change to keep the site going. I also know that it would cost alot to make an app across multiple platforms.

Im sure if you put the word out that more cash is needed in order to make a mobile app, i bet donations would come in faster than ever.

I just like to be updated on post that i contribute to or just really find interesting. Also it would be great to not have to refresh my browser if i minimize it on my desktop or mobile device. And it could really be a asset to members who PM each other constantly for specific help.

The reason for my brigade remark is that i sense a major opposition to change from regular members , not MODS . These members are against the idea of site redesign, mobile friendly site, and a stand alone app regardless of the financial cost or the sites ability to afford it.

With all due respect, your taking my comment way to personal. No one will leave the site , even if the site is unchanged 10 years from now.

Agree^^^

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
For example, if we wanted to use Tap-a-talk on here, somebody would have to purchase the plug-in for the forum and then it would need to be integrated.

True and TapaTalk does not seem to have a native plug-in for UBB Threads so that would mean developing an API unless (by chance) one of the other plug-ins would work (http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php).

There are other forum apps out there, and it seems that UBB Threads has a new version coming out, not sure if BITOG gets the upgrade for free or if it will include mobility modules, but one can hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back