Nokian Introduces New Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
It sounds like they put a lot of effort into improving the ice traction of the R2, claiming that it stops 10m (33 ft) shorter from 80 km/hr (50mph) than the R.

They do not mention the north American market in their press release, so it is unclear whether the R2 will be available in the US in 2013.

My Hakka R's have a few more seasons left, so I'll wait patiently.

IMO the conti is still competitive.

I liked them better all the other snow tires I've had.

they were abit noisier but the deeper snow traction was better.

and the traction was amazing esp when the tires were slipping.

(think accelerating uphill in 6" snow)

I dont think you can get a much better "snow"tire.

What they are doing now is optimizing for noise, ice, Rolling resistance, treadlife, and fair weather handling

many of which reduce the "snow" traction

That being said the technology "triangle" is constantly growing so you can compromise without losing compared to older designs.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, CR already has a set of R2 Nokians for testing.:

"Our testing includes measuring the distance to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph. Tires with good snow traction need a relatively short distance to get up to speed. The average distance for the performance winter tires was just over 92 feet. All-season tires, collectively, took more than double that distance. One winter-tire standout was the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

Also, Bridgestone told us that its WS70 tire was a "regular" winter tire—not a performance winter version. But we tested it anyway. Turns out it was very impressive, second only to the Nokian.

Our testing showed that all winter models delivered secure grip. It's was a mixed bag among UHP all-season tires, however. Some provided decent grip for casual driving on snow-covered roads, but others just plain disappointed us."

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/201...re-testing.html

I have to say it is pretty disappointing that the tire testers at CR are not aware that the WS70 and R2 are not "performance winters", but are "ice & snow" tires, or "regular" winter tires.

Here are the winter tires they are testing:

Performance winter tires
Brand Model
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70
Cooper WeatherMaster Snow
Dunlop Winter Sport 4D
Hankook i*cept evo
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
Nokian WR G3
Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Series II
Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/201...-tires-uhp.html

I'm a bit disappointed in the Hakka Rs (purchased December 2011) on my '06 Civic. They don't seem to have as much grip in snow as my studded Hakka 2s had ... even towards the end of the old Hakka 2s' life.

Not a bad tire, but not as good as I expected. Ride is quiet and comfortable but I would trade a little hum for more outright grip.

We'll see how long they last, too.

I just couldn't deal with having studded tires on the car for 4 months out of the year. The noise was maddening.

If I was buying today, I'm not sure what I'd get ... maybe Nordman? (old Nokyan design from a couple generations ago) ... maybe R2s.

Surprisingly, CR already has a set of R2 Nokians for testing.:

"Our testing includes measuring the distance to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph. Tires with good snow traction need a relatively short distance to get up to speed. The average distance for the performance winter tires was just over 92 feet. All-season tires, collectively, took more than double that distance. One winter-tire standout was the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

Also, Bridgestone told us that its WS70 tire was a "regular" winter tire—not a performance winter version. But we tested it anyway. Turns out it was very impressive, second only to the Nokian.

Our testing showed that all winter models delivered secure grip. It's was a mixed bag among UHP all-season tires, however. Some provided decent grip for casual driving on snow-covered roads, but others just plain disappointed us."

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/201...re-testing.html

I have to say it is pretty disappointing that the tire testers at CR are not aware that the WS70 and R2 are not "performance winters", but are "ice & snow" tires, or "regular" winter tires.

Here are the winter tires they are testing:

Performance winter tires
Brand Model
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70
Cooper WeatherMaster Snow
Dunlop Winter Sport 4D
Hankook i*cept evo
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2
Nokian WR G3
Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Series II
Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/201...-tires-uhp.html

Those are some tests I'd REALLY like to see, as it includes A LOT of the tires I am interested in for the future.

Did they state which issues of the printed rags these were going to be in??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
.................Those are some tests I'd REALLY like to see, as it includes A LOT of the tires I am interested in for the future.

November 2013.

CR probably just got a bunch of tires available in the BRZ/FR-S size (assuming it's 215/45r17)... which maybe they wanted "performance" H or V speed rated tires... than studless snow/ice, so it doesn't have mushy feel when it's not snowing

Also, maybe CR thought they ordered Blizzk LM-60, which looks identical to the old WS-60 (which the WS-70 replaced), but it has a different compound (no tube-multicell) capable of sustaining the heat generated at 130 mph

Last edited:
http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=32097385&group=1.01&name=Nokian+Hakkapeliitta+R2

Some important details emerge....
innovation-HKPLR2-HKPL8-Cryo-Crystal-Concept.jpg

Quote:
First-class winter grip, more precise handling. Diamond-tough grip particles that have the appearance of a multi-edged crystal have been added to the rubber compound in order to improve grip on ice by grabbing onto the driving surface. The new cryo-silane based winter silica compound works safely across a wide temperature range. The compound creates exceptional grip on ice, snow, and wet roads, and excellent wear resistance.

Some Green Diamond technology!!!
Blizzak WS-70 has so-called Bite Particles as well

Grip Claws (see in between tread blocks)
innovation-HKPLR2-Grip-claws.jpg

Slush Claws
innovation-HKPLR2-Slush-claws.jpg

Nokian is introducing 3 new winter tires, to be available in 2013. There will be a non-studded Hakka R2, a studded Hakka8, and a non-studded Hakka R2-SUV.

There was no announcement about lowering their prices.
grin2.gif
lol.gif

LOL oh so true!! Definitely want to get a set of Nokians for winter. Currently running studded Semperit Ice grips. Made by Continental apparently.

.................Those are some tests I'd REALLY like to see, as it includes A LOT of the tires I am interested in for the future.

November 2013.

If you are a subscriber to the online version of CR, the tire test results will probably be available in early September. Good timing if you want to see the test results from CR's testing before buying winter tires. Too bad that CR's testing of winter performance is very limited in scope, being confined to acceleration on groomed snow, and braking on ice from 10mph.

November 2013.

If you are a subscriber to the online version of CR, the tire test results will probably be available in early September. Good timing if you want to see the test results from CR's testing before buying winter tires. Too bad that CR's testing of winter performance is very limited in scope, being confined to acceleration on groomed snow, and braking on ice from 10mph.

Yes, I know that is ALWAYS the problem with them, but since Tire Rack flat out REFUSES to sell/carry Nokian products, they are all we have for any evaluation, sadly enough.
frown.gif

One can use google translate and read ADAC tests.
Or German car magazines lie Auto Bild, "Auto, Moto und Sport" and probably others.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
where is this brand manufactured ? tks all

which particular tire?

if this helps .. their generic answer

Quote:
key products are produced in own factories in Nokia, Finland and in Vsevolozhsk, Russia.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
IMO the conti is still competitive..................

The Conti EWC has an asymmetric tread design, while all the newer "ice and snow" tires seem to be going to directional tread designs. I assume this is being done for functional reasons, and not for fashion. My impression is that among the top five or six "ice and snow" tires, the Conti is the only one still using an asymmetric design. Even the latest TS850 Performance Winter from Continental has a directional tread design.

Both the R2 and the WR G3 will be available for purchase in the US in 2013. The Hakka8 will be available in the US in 2014.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/story/2013/03/these-3-tires-are-available-for-next-winter.aspx

"..................The first wave of sizes for the WR G3 are broken out as follows:

Asymmetric -- 25 XL sizes ranging from 205/65R16 99 H through 245/40R18 97V, and two run-flat sizes (205/55R16 91H and 205/45R17 91H).

Directional -- six sizes ranging from175/65R14 82T to 195/55R15 89V XL.

Both WR G3 designs, which Nokian said have "excellent slush and aquaplaning properties," were manufactured with "Silent Sidewall Technology" (less vibration in the bead area)............"

".........The Hakkapeliitta R2 will be available in 55 R-rated sizes ranging from 175/70R13 82R through 255/35R20 97R. Forty-four of the sizes are XL; nine are run-flat, including 245/45R18 100R XL run-flat............."

I really liked my WRG2's on my Sonata. Once worn down I made them my 3 season/summer tires. I must say they got very slippery as they got to 4/32" in the rain. We got snow before I had a chance to put my other winters on (Conti EWC) this season and that was the WORST drive I have ever taken. I know they are good I just can't imagine if I didn't have them but regular all season's.

The new WRG3 and versions look like they are asymmetrical also so you can rotate left right. I know directional is overall better BUT being able to even out that cupping is real nice for longevity.

The price premium hurts. When my Hak SUV's were at six seasons I needed replacement (dry rot not tread wear, truck only gets 7K year, 3 k of winter)I switched. New Nokians were $80 more per tire over Altimax Arctic (old Gislaved 3's). How much better would the Nokians have been? Couldn't tell you but for an extra $320 I wasn't going to find out. Altimax's got me through 2 foot snows easily and always felt good on ice also.

Same deal for the EWC's over new WRG2's. I also wanted full snow and must say the EWC's have been great so far. Very quiet (quieter the WRG2!), a little softer/spongier but makes nice ride comfort. The EWC's seem to grip a little better in dry also.

I've done the Hak 10's studded and non, Hak 1, Hak SUV, WR, RSI, WRG2. All were excellent but at some point comes the how much better for twice price question. It would be great to get Tirerack to test/compare to some of the others.

I always wanted to try the Green Diamond tires and the R2 looks like that might be the way. I talked to somebody that had them and they said they gripped awesome in snow/ice but the retread compound was not great for the wet plus some balance issues. I have one more full season the EWC's and 1-2 on the Altimax Arctics. I'll need to keep watching the test results!

Last edited:
I'm liking what I've heard so far about the Hakka R2s, particularly in terms of improved ice traction. Depending on reviews once they're available and the price gap, I'll be picking up a set of either Blizzak DM-V1s or Hakka R2s for the Jeep in 245/70R16 this coming fall.

I know Nokians are great tires. I almost bought the Hakkas for our X5 this past winter but ended up going with Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtremes.

Reason: Wintracs are an awesome true snow tire (which I can attest to) and are also V speed rated.

Very quiet and absolutely incredible on the snow and ice here in Colorado.

I'm anxious to try the new R2! I've found each Nokian update in the 20 yrs. I've been using them to be a worthwhile & noticeable. I drive about 40K yearly in Central NY and the NE. My 1st AUDI 3 yrs ago had Blizzak REVO's which I found squirmy and replaced with Vredestein Wintrac Extrmeme. They were quieter, handled better and had better snow/ice traction I believe. I'm running Hakka R's now which have slightly better snow/ice traction than Wintracs but are noisier and don't handle quite as well in the dry. Overall much choice would be Wintrac's if you're not in serious snow/ice & R's if you value snow/ice capability above all. I will be going to Hakka R@ when they are available in proper size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back