Pirelli P Zero Nero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get me a set of these for summer, my Michelin MXM's are almost bald.
grin.gif

Anyone ever use these? Any experiences? Did my research and these seemed to be the best rated Pirelli's I could find. Thoughts or recommendations for other Pirelli tires? Thanks!

When I bought my Subaru these tires were on it. They seemed good in the wet and dry but with only about 30% left I cant really give an accurate review.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Is the tire for the Corolla ?

Yep! 225-45-17/XL for my 17 inch OZ mags.

Pirelli P Zero Nero ranked fairly low at 13 in consumer survey for Max Performance Summer tires, while Michelin Pilot Super Sport is first for $25 more per tire.

I had Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on my S2000, it was very good on dry and so so on wet, fairly quiet at highway speed upward 80-90 MPH.

If you don't mind paying $100 more for 4 tires then Michelin Pilot Super Sport is much better choice. If you like to spend a little less then Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 is better.

I'm on my 2nd set of P-Zero Neros on my CTS. I love them, they are all season and do dry and wet very well. They are quiet and look nice on the wheel. Only negatives are treadwear, but Discount Tire warrantied my first set so I stuck with them and I am allready at the wear bars on this set. I do drive a little aggressively,however. I get about 35k miles out of them, but I know a guy with a Camaro SS and he has 40k on his and still a lot left in them.

I can recommend these tires with confidence. I was so glad to get the OEM Michelins off my car!

My Stang came with them from the factory. To sum them up in one word: horrible. Absolutely terrible in the wet stuff, almost to the point of being dangerous. Dry traction was mediocre at best. Tread wear was underwhelming as well - I got 22k out of the set with my wife logging most of those miles.

+1 to the Pilot Sport A/S Plus (but they are expensive). They were great on my car and will most likely be my next set. I also had Yokohama S.Drive on it for a couple of years and they were SUPERB at everything but tread wear. My current set of Sumitomos are probably the best all around tires I've had on this car so far, especially considering the price.

Last edited:
which mxm4? the pilots?

michelin has a new primacy mxm4 that came out last year.. should be a good match for a corolla.

only reason im getting pirelli's is because i get a great promo on them.
otherwise i wouldnt be looking at pirelli's. its only on a corolla so i no real aggresive driving. the michelins i had before are mxm4 pilots. i bought them used but they are done!! if you think the p zero nero's are no good any other pirelli tires you would recommend ?

Pirelli P Zero Nero ranked fairly low at 13 in consumer survey for Max Performance Summer tires, while Michelin Pilot Super Sport is first for $25 more per tire.

Of all consumer surveys, the surveys for tires are probably the least reliable; in fact, generally, they are contrary. With the extended mileage of modern tires, few cars get more than two sets of tires in their lifetime, so the consumer usually is rating a new OEM tire (which -- performance cars excluded -- are usually cheap compromise tires within the tire maker's line) on a car that he or she has just started to drive vs. the worn-out tires on an older car that was traded in for the new car, or is rating a brand-new replacement tire vs. a spent OEM tire that probably had been worn down to the wear bars. Moreover, individual consumers have wildly different criteria for what makes a tire "good." Treadwear probably is the top criterion for more consumers than any other, for instance, but it is a low criterion for me personally, for whom wet braking is the top criterion. For some consumers, tread noise (which, in almost all tires, varies over the life of the tire) is the only quality of a tire that is important. So consumer surveys of tires are random noise themselves, more chaff than wheat, and no way to sort out valid opinions from blather.

I had Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on my S2000, it was very good on dry and so so on wet, fairly quiet at highway speed upward 80-90 MPH.

If you don't mind paying $100 more for 4 tires then Michelin Pilot Super Sport is much better choice. If you like to spend a little less then Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 is better.

We have run both Pirelli P Zero Nero and Ventus V12 evo K110 tires on our Mazda6 -- for a while, both together, with a pair of the directional V12s at the front and a pair of the asymmetrical 'Neros at the rear. I concur that the Hankooks were surprisingly better than the Pirellis for my criteria; I had great expectations for the Pirellis, based upon earlier Pirellis that we had run, but the Hankooks were superior for our application.

However, the tires that we are running now, Dunlop SP Sport MAXX TT, are really good for wet braking, handling, and road noise, and may be the best tires that we have ever had fitted to any car. They are better in those respects than even the Hankook V12s were.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
if you think the p zero nero's are no good any other pirelli tires you would recommend ?

I think Nero is the best summer tire that Pirelli currently offers.

However, there are several Nero versions available... summer, all-season, M&S. I'm assuming you wanted the summer ones.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
if you think the p zero nero's are no good any other pirelli tires you would recommend ?

I think Nero is the best summer tire that Pirelli currently offers.

However, there are several Nero versions available... summer, all-season, M&S. I'm assuming you wanted the summer ones.

Good point, I was looking at the PZERO NERO ALL SEASON MODEL. 45000 mile treadwear warranty, rated 400- AA-A 225/45R/17 XL size

The all season model seemed to be the best rated of all Pirelli's.

The caviat to TireRack's reviews is that they cannot be compared across different categories. So the fact that the all-season version gets higher marks than the summer one does not necessarily mean that the all-season one is better.

In terms of dry grip and steering response, I would expect the summer version to be better. But you haven't really told us what you're looking for in a tire, so I have no idea if these qualities are important to you or if you value treadlife or comfy ride more.

The caviat to TireRack's reviews is that they cannot be compared across different categories. So the fact that the all-season version gets higher marks than the summer one does not necessarily mean that the all-season one is better.

In terms of dry grip and steering response, I would expect the summer version to be better. But you haven't really told us what you're looking for in a tire, so I have no idea if these qualities are important to you or if you value treadlife or comfy ride more.

Dont care about ride, treadwear as I put about 20 000 miles per season on them, and definitely wet handling. I guess a well balanced tire. Comfort, treadwear and decent wet handling. Not a fast car so I wont be driving too crazy.

80000 miles a year? that brings new meaning to having a

summer set and a winter set of tires :p

With such high miles and considering that it's a Corolla, I'd be looking at something with a long treadwear warranty, for example Cinturato P7 A/S Plus.

Those Neros may be down to wear bars after one season. I know my Bridgestones only gave me 25K miles of life despite being rated 400 for treadwear.

Originally Posted By: Rand
80000 miles a year? that brings new meaning to having a

summer set and a winter set of tires :p

LOL I meant 20, 000 combined for spring, summer and fall..

With such high miles and considering that it's a Corolla, I'd be looking at something with a long treadwear warranty, for example Cinturato P7 A/S Plus.

Those Neros may be down to wear bars after one season. I know my Bridgestones only gave me 25K miles of life despite being rated 400 for treadwear.

I will look into those, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back