Air grinder vs dremel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I was interested when reading recently about some tire shops using a grinder to remove rust on hubs and rotors to bare metal.

It got me thinking. Grinders take a lot of air... Why not use a dremel or an electric one. Does air just give a lot more torque or speed?

air die grinders dont need that much air. plus they are cheap. Only down side IMO is they are noisy.

plus air is more convenient for a tire shop.

They always have air,electrical extension cords usually arent lying around.Plus air tools are lighter and cooler to the touch.

A Dremel is EXTREME light duty.

An angle grinder would work but you have to consider it has no track record for safe use in such an application.

An electric motor may have an unpredictable torque and kick back like mad. Also, the rope wheel on an angle grinder is much heavier but still 30k rpm. This is just plain dangerous with the instant torque nature of an electric tool.

An air die grinder has far less torque so it slows a bit and has a very natural feel. And would never overheat. And are dirt cheap. And the rope brush attachments are cheap and easy to find.

I have both. Dremel is great - easy to handle, light in weight, but no power...you can use it on anything......you could cut through a steel safe...if you have all day...

My die grinder will cut through a bolt at least 10 times faster because of its greater power/torque, but you've got the hose.

Delicate work vs. grunt work.

My air powered die grinders use a lot of air.

We had an air powered setup on our tire machine with a wire wheel to clean beads with, and another die grinder with a rounded buffing wheel to clean inner tire surfaces for patches.

Dremels are about useless for something like tire/rim work, expensive to. I grab die grinders at Harbor freight for $8 a piece on special. Wear them out, and toss them. I don't have the heart to use my good Snap-on grinders when throwaways are that cheap.

EDIT: I just looked at the large 1/4" electric die grinders and they run minimum $100US for anything half decent. Figure also they are mainly for two handed use. The only time I have seen electric die grinders used in any capacity is use for head porting or block detailing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back