Treadwear Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently noticed that most of the trendwear warranty now will drop by half if your vehicle has a staggered (different fron/rear) setup. It started sometimes in 2011 or 2012, so a tire that once upon a time was warrantied for 60k miles is now only 30k miles.

Boooo.....

I'm guessing that's because you can't rotate front-to-back when you have a staggered setup, and without rotation the tires on the drive axle will wear out sooner. It sucks though because it's not always true. For example, my wife's car has a staggered setup, but distributes power almost evenly between front and back, so the tires wear fairly evenly, even though they're not being rotated.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm guessing that's because you can't rotate front-to-back when you have a staggered setup, and without rotation the tires on the drive axle will wear out sooner. It sucks though because it's not always true. For example, my wife's car has a staggered setup, but distributes power almost evenly between front and back, so the tires wear fairly evenly, even though they're not being rotated.

Yup, that's the reason.

Some manufactures (Continental I think) will half them only for the rear, while others (Kumho) will half them for both front and the rear.

Consider IS250 have the front wear out much faster than the rear in a staggered setup, I know which tire brand I'll buy and which one I will not buy.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Consider IS250 have the front wear out much faster than the rear in a staggered setup,

Isn't it an RWD car?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Consider IS250 have the front wear out much faster than the rear in a staggered setup,

Isn't it an RWD car?

Yes, but low power for the rear tire size (255/40-18). Braking and front toe out wears the front much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back