Any automotive uses for Vaseline and GOJO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and I know that GOJO is good for exhaust hanver rubbers pieces, but does anyone know of any uses automotive wise for Vaseline? Just curious as never thought of it but you never know.

adam

Packing the oil pump with Vasaline was the OEM procedure when repairing/replacing the pump in Buick engines with the oil pump gears in the timing cover.

It can be used on any oil pump for a quicker prime. It was also good on leather carb pump seals and rebuildable mechanical fuel pumps but thats going back a ways when i first started.

Vaseline is an acceptable alternative to automatic transmission assembly gel (for o-rings, and for packing the pump, as Trav mentioned for engines).

Vaseline for when you go to the dealer and..
whistle.gif
. Trav, that was some good examples. I had long forgoten about them, good memory.

I never liked vaseline for battery terminals as it seemed the heat can melt and evaporate it off.

Gojo is good when you work at a car dealer and get greasy.
Vaseline is good when you take your car in then get the bill.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
Vasaline for battery terminals. Stops them from corroding. slap some on, let the heat melt it in and flow

Only think to add is that I heard Vaseline is NOT water-absorbant.. ? ..unsure how important that is.

Vaseline is petroleum jelly, right?

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Originally Posted By: WhyMe
Vasaline for battery terminals. Stops them from corroding. slap some on, let the heat melt it in and flow

Only think to add is that I heard Vaseline is NOT water-absorbant.. ? ..unsure how important that is.

Vaseline is petroleum jelly, right?

Why does it matter that it's not water absorbant?....

Yes, petroleum jelly

If I recall correctly, Vaseline was first "discovered" around oil well seals in PA. It is a waxy oil-derived goop that comes naturally from some petroleums. It is not manufactured but collected (at least it used to be). As such, it is water insoluble and dissolves in oil.

An old joke...

Did you hear about the newly weds that did not know the difference betwenn glazing compound and Vaseline?

All the glass in their windows fell out!

Last edited:
I believe GOJO will remove rust and polish chrome from what I have been told. I have not tried it myself, but the stuff is very similar in texture to the good chrome polishes I used a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Vaseline is an acceptable alternative to automatic transmission assembly gel (for o-rings, and for packing the pump, as Trav mentioned for engines).

And holding check balls in tranny/valvebody. I.e. doing shift kit with tranny installed.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Vaseline for the injector o-rings.

Yes it works fine but Super Lube grease with teflon has real staying power making them easy to remove even years later.
Its also O2 safe.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

I've got a somewhat funny story about petroleum jelly that happened to me about 4-5 years ago. I was in a large WM looking for petroleum jelly. I knew where it used to be, but this store had just recently remodeled and they had moved everything around. Obviously their "associates" were trained to be extra helpful because one young lady came right over to me and asked if I needed help. Without going into any extra details whatsoever, I told her that I was looking for the petroleum jelly. She looked down at my crotch for a good 3-4 seconds and said that while petroleum jelly is used by a lot of people, she recommended that I buy KY Jelly instead. I busted up laughing and told her that I was doing some mechanic work and that I wanted petroleum jelly to hold some pieces together during the transmission assembly. She had a confused look on her face, but she then directed me to the area that sold petroleum jelly.

I have been putting Vaseline (white petroleum jelly) on my batteries since about 1980. It really does work to reduce or even eliminate corrosion. I have a very old can that came out of an abandoned fallout shelter. Interesting that the government thought it was needed there (actually, probably for burns).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back