2010 BMW X5 35d-M1 ESP 5w40 Formula M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my 1st report using M1 ESP 5w40 Formula M. 1qt makeup. Seems about average for this engine to me.

Miles on Oil: 9627
Total miles on engine:67127
Aluminum: 14
Chromium: 3
Iron: 64
Copper: 8
Lead: 1
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 80
Nickel: 1
Manganese: 2
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 11
Boron: 94
Silicon: 3
Sodium: 3
Calcium: 1127
Magnesium: 9
Phosphorus: 681
Zinc: 824
Barium: 0
SUS viscosity @210F: 67.7
cSt viscosity @100c: 12.34
Flashpoint F: 445
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0
Water: 0
Insolubles: .5
TBN: 2.0

Is this car still under warranty? If so, why have you decided to use this oil? It doesn't meet BMW ll-04 spec. M1 ESP 5w-30 does though.

Not that I think that this oil would cause you any issues, but just to CYA...

I guess with 67K miles, it's probably past warranty...

Iron seems a bit high, but I don't know if that's normal for this engine.

Are you following the OLM or just doing 10K mile oil changes?

Do you have a set of universal averages for this engine?? The Aluminium seems too high and the other figures like the Iron are not so good either. The Pb is real low, so this is top end wear, but without some averages for comparison it is only the Aluminium that stands out.
With the TBN at 2 and the wear metals starting to increase I think you have reached your max OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is this car still under warranty? If so, why have you decided to use this oil? It doesn't meet BMW ll-04 spec. M1 ESP 5w-30 does though.

Hi Pete,
No its not under warranty anymore and yes I know this oil wasn't tested by BMW. I think I'm going to stick with this and do 10k changes. Every BMW I've ever owned had iron at this level. My UOA of whatever the BMW dealer used last time is basically the same; it was probably Castrol SLX. Here's the previous oil change numbers.

Miles on Oil: 9000
Total Miles: 57500
Aluminum: 16
Chromium: 3
Iron: 62
Copper: 7
Lead: 2
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 0
Nickel: 1
Manganese: 2
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 13
Boron: 1
Silicon: 3
Sodium: 2
Calcium: 2058
Magnesium: 10
Phosphorus: 750
Zinc: 836
Barium: 0
SUS Viscosity @210F: 63.5
cSt Viscosity @100c: 11.2
Flashpoint: 380
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0
Water: 0
Insolubles: .4
Iron 62

Originally Posted By: 45PSI
Every BMW I've ever owned had iron at this level.

Which other BMW engines have you owned?

Mine doesn't produce anywhere as much iron, even after 10K miles.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Do you have a set of universal averages for this engine?? The Aluminium seems too high and the other figures like the Iron are not so good either. The Pb is real low, so this is top end wear, but without some averages for comparison it is only the Aluminium that stands out.
With the TBN at 2 and the wear metals starting to increase I think you have reached your max OCI.

I agree Aluminum is higher than the universal averages but I attribute this to the short runs this vehicle does. Probably rarely gets fully up to operating temp. Grocery Getter!
This is Blackstones Universal Avg's: Order is same as above

Hi Pete,
No its not under warranty anymore and yes I know this oil wasn't tested by BMW. I think I'm going to stick with this and do 10k changes.

That seems about right, but I'd do a couple more UOA's at that interval to make sure.

I agree, it's the VW TDI's that shed Iron, not the BMW's.

Actually I used to have a 335d and based on my own experience, and tracking uoa's on the 335d forum, the BMW's do shed iron - - more than this uoa - -the avg at 10-12k oci's being 70-90 ppm iron; Al could be up there too - - by that I mean more than a gasser; 14 Al is not bad at all.

Why did you depart from the 5w30 BMW diesel oil? Why do we think we know more than the factory?

Originally Posted By: m6pwr

Why did you depart from the 5w30 BMW diesel oil? Why do we think we know more than the factory?

I didn't say that. In fact, I used the 5w30 for over 50k miles. It's a case of wanting an oil I can obtain easily, and be used on 3 vehicles(04 ML500, 09 TDI, 10 x5 35d). For the 13b-rew I will still purchase a separate oil. 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

I agree, it's the VW TDI's that shed Iron, not the BMW's.

You guys could have me here. I don't actually remember the Fe numbers from my previous gasser x5 and 3 series.

Originally Posted By: m6pwr

I didn't say that. In fact, I used the 5w30 for over 50k miles. It's a case of wanting an oil I can obtain easily, and be used on 3 vehicles(04 ML500, 09 TDI, 10 x5 35d). For the 13b-rew I will still purchase a separate oil. 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

If this is the M57TU2 engine LM list a variety of 0 or 5/30's and 5/40's. If BMW use a 5/30 full synthetic then when considering the low power settings in the US I would use a 5/30 until the oil consumption starts to creep up.

If BMW use a 5/30 full synthetic then when considering the low power settings in the US I would use a 5/30 until the oil consumption starts to creep up.

But it's not just any 5w-30. It's a thick 5w-30 with HT/HS of 3.5cP minimum.

If BMW use a 5/30 full synthetic then when considering the low power settings in the US I would use a 5/30 until the oil consumption starts to creep up.

Good point, I forgot that BMW are selling their own oil, so that comparison is important.

Good point, I forgot that BMW are selling their own oil, so that comparison is important.

Yup, made by BP.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yup, made by BP.

Do the BMW specs match any of the Castrol Edge products? BP effectively own Castrol, but they do market some oils like Super Visco under their own label. BP are also the main shareholder in Aral, who also market expensive engine oils.
(In 2000, Veba Oel, a long-time shareholder in Aral, bought the company outright and assumed the Aral name. Then in 2002, BP acquired Veba Oel. Aral became a subsidiary of BP’s German business)

BMW recommend the following oils for top up:
BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:
•Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
•Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
•Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
•Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

Last edited:
IIRC, the oil says "Made by Castrol" or something to that effect on it. I don't believe it has a Castrol-bottled equivalent.

Quote:
I don't believe it has a Castrol-bottled equivalent.

Yeah, none of the current Edge products available at retail in the US meet BMW LL-04 spec which the OP's car calls for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back