Frog Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just did 2 pistols with it (one stainless, one blued) so we will see. It is pretty amazing what it cleans off of a clean pistol.

Smells pretty good too...

I have tested frog lube out myself, I wasn't impressed at all. First off it is not compatible with any other gun care product. The initial application process is silly, degrease all metal parts, heat metal and then apply...Stupid. In my cold weather test, it failed miserably. I put a dab of frog lube on a spoon and put it in the freezer... frozen like a rock over night. In corrosion testing it was easily beaten by break free CLP, corrosion x and barricade. As far as cleaning goes, I found ballistol as well as other more traditional gun cleaners to work better.
All of this is not mention the stuff is outrageously expensive and usually only available on the internet.
My advice is to avoid frog lube all together. It is a poor jack of all trades and master of none. It doesn't work in extreme cold and is too expensive.
Better offerings, depending on what you are looking for, include ballistol, corrosion x or super lube grease.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Any links to your corrosion test?

I do like Barricade/Sheath.

No, sorry. I didn't put the test on line anywhere. I don't bother with this because people online will always argue with my results or question my processes. That being said, just do the test yourself and then you will have your own data.
I buy a piece of sheet steel from the hardware store, sand it with 400 grit, thoroughly degrease and then section off the metal with electrical tape. I then apply the different oils with q-tips, following whatever application instructions and then set the plate in my basement and mist it with seawater in a spray bottle every 12 hours.
A lot of people have done similar tests and the results usually are about the same if the test is conducted fairly. Here are a few links to other people's testing that show frog lube not being all that great.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103924 basic corrosion test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKkSRLQN_A results at 19:35

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/578960_Frog_Lube.html&page=1 lots of different tests here

Frog lube is in all the gun stores around here, and the counter guys tell me how wonderful it is...but you're right, the price is crazy.

I've got a pint of CLP in a spray bottle, a pint of Ballistol, a couple of 4 oz bottles of Remington oil, and a couple 4 oz bottles of Hoppe's oil...in other words, enough dedicated gun oil to wipe down/lube my guns for years...and that's before we get into my 150+ QT stash of synthetic motor oil...

I won't be buying Frog Lube any time soon...

Last edited:
Quote:
The initial application process is silly, degrease all metal parts, heat metal and then apply...Stupid.

01.gif

I don't find the application process "stupid". Since we know it isn't compatible with petroleum based products it seems reasonable to remove the previously used product. Heating (or seasoning) isn't a new concept either - MILITEC-1 uses it and people sometimes do it with oils particularly on parkerized firearms.

Interesting threads, I should have known that I could find something at M4. I'm a bit confused by the "oil" and "grease" descriptions though. I thought there are paste and liquid and they are the same product in different forms? Most of the pictures are gone from the ARF thread.

I'm struggling too with the differing results people are getting, there are a couple of other corrosion test that frog lube performed quite well in, it appears that those did not use salt spray.

I'm struggling too with what freezing the bottled product proves other than that bottled product freezes. When one applies the product to a warm metal it dissolves and dissipates (at least that appears to be what is going on). At any rate the two pistols seem to hand cycle fine at fairly low temperatures. (near freezing).

I did not notice a miraculous "slickness" that is mentioned in some videos in either pistol.

I found it to be a pretty good cleaner.

It is pretty expensive.

Has anyone seen any evidence one way or another concerning the lubricating properties?

Anybody know what FL actually is?

Persoannaly, I'm using Royco CLP. At $75 a gallon it's a great deal cheaper than any of the 'miracle lubes' and it works.

BSW

The fact that frog lube is NOT compatible with other gun care products and would need an "application process" is the "silly" part.... all of this is not mention the price! For the asking price of frog lube, it should be compatible with any other gun care product and maybe even "apply" itself! lol

I digress... In the test on m4.net he is referring to the frog lube liquid and paste forms, he just worded it oil and grease.

The fact that frog lube freezes is bad news! It freezes in the bottle and in your gun no differently. If you bring your gun in sub zero temperatures and you over applied frog lube, it is going to be frozen shut, regardless of how you apply it. It does not dissipate at all, sorry but you are way off with that.

Anecdotal information has said that frog lube is mostly P.A.O. with a few other "plant based" ingredients. This is another huge problem with frog lube in my book. The company is shrouding the mixture and its properties in complete mystery. This shows me they have something to hide. Drop point, flash point, viscosity information.... not a single word is mentioned in their MSDS. Why, you ask? Because the results aren't that great and in fact frog lube's performance is easily beaten by products costing half as much. Sure it is slippery and makes your gun nice and smooth, but so don't most paste type lubricants I have tried.

Sorry guys, I don't normally go and rant about things like this but Frog Lube really screams "over priced snake oil" to me. I really have tested frog lube myself and wanted to like it but the only good things I can say about it are that it smells like tooth paste and it is a unique product.

I gave up a long time ago on the high priced exotic gun oils and gun greases and gun pastes that are supposed to be so incredible. I tried all kinds of different stuff and I wish I had the money back that I spent on all of the exotic stuff.

The one special lube that maybe is good is WeaponShield, but it apparently contains clorinated parrafins and I don't like that.

I like the research that you did AMC. What I am using now on my gun is Breakfree and Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil. Too bad the Breakfree is probably not as good as it was in the past. I think the Brichwood Casey gun oil makes up for the decline of the Breakfree somewhat. I still have not tried CorrosionX but I will eventually get some.

Originally Posted By: AMC
...Drop point, flash point, viscosity information.... ...

That was the sort of thing I was hoping someone here might have.

Quote:
Heating (or seasoning) isn't a new concept either - MILITEC-1 uses it and people sometimes do it with oils particularly on parkerized firearms.

Just as dumb with Militec as there is no reason to heat a gun with a hairdrier.....

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
Heating (or seasoning) isn't a new concept either - MILITEC-1 uses it and people sometimes do it with oils particularly on parkerized firearms.

Just as dumb with Militec as there is no reason to heat a gun with a hairdrier.....

Thank you for your insightful, fact based and valuable post.

I expected better of you guys.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Thank you for your insightful, fact based and valuable post.

I expected better of you guys.
mad.gif

What exactly are you after?? There is absolutely NO reason to heat Militec with a hairdrier or the sun prior to or after applying the junk. It's pure marketing hype to make the stuff seem special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back