Treadwear Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some tires have them, some don't. Is there a relation between a warranty and tire quality? I found Uniroyals with 70k warranty for $93 and Michelins, Bridgestone, and Pirelli tires with no warranty that are significantly higher in price. Don't know what to make of this. Are the Uniroyals better because they are backed up with a warranty. Tire purchase will be for a 2008 Ford Focus.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
Some tires have them, some don't. Is there a relation between a warranty and tire quality?......

No. Treadwear warranties are for those tires where it becomes a competitive situation. You will find that max traction tires don't have treadwear warranties - because treadwear is not a consideration.

.... I found Uniroyals with 70k warranty for $93 and Michelins, Bridgestone, and Pirelli tires with no warranty that are significantly higher in price. Don't know what to make of this. Are the Uniroyals better because they are backed up with a warranty. Tire purchase will be for a 2008 Ford Focus.

Look at the UTQG ratings. Tires with high treadwear numbers have warranties - and tires with low treadwear numbers and high traction ratings generally don't.

What do you mean when you say "I found Uniroyals with 70k warranty for $93 and Michelins, Bridgestone, and Pirelli tires with no warranty..." Don't most the tires have treadwear warranty for x amount of miles? their websites seem to say so

What CapriRacer said...some of the performance/track/racing tires don't have treadware warranty

Last edited:
I saw Michelin Pilot tires on Walmart website, but no treads are warranty was listed. Thanks for the posted links

I didn't mean to imply that no Michelin or Bridgestone tires had warranties, but only some their models.

I didn't mean to imply that no Michelin or Bridgestone tires had warranties, but only some their models.

Didn't take it that way, was just curious on if it was some specific store or website that said those brands didn't have warranty, but yeah some tires don't have tread warranty and they are usually more expensive because they are performance or track/racing tires.

I saw Michelin Pilot tires on Walmart website, but no treads are warranty was listed. Thanks for the posted links

Most of the Pilots don't have a treadwear warranty because they are performance tires that Michelin knows will be driven hard. Plus the compound is generally soft, and it would look funny to put a 5,000 or 10,000 mile warranty on a tire that costs $350+ each.

The warranty is an indicator of the quality in a roundabout sort of way. Same thing with batteries.

If they offer a very long warranty, that shows they have faith in the quality. However, a pro-rated warranty is not really that awesome. That's why I try to buy a battery with the longest "full replacement" warranty.

Pro-Rated warranties for tires are a joke. You will most likely hear: "Ok sir for your 60,000 mile tire that you paid $200 each for and still has 73% of the tread left before it failed we will give you $12 toward the purchase of a new set."
smirk.gif

Then you may hear: "I'm really sorry sir but that is all the manufacturer will allow...no I can't do that sir I don't think a tire will fit up there"
13.gif

Here in all-year-'round summer Florida on highways made of crushed shells getting anywhere near the estimated tire wear is highly unlikely...so getting tires with a pro-rated "warranty" has gotten me several replacement sets @ half-price.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The warranty is an indicator of the quality in a roundabout sort of way. Same thing with batteries.

If they offer a very long warranty, that shows they have faith in the quality. However, a pro-rated warranty is not really that awesome. That's why I try to buy a battery with the longest "full replacement" warranty.

Costco states the warranty clearly on their batteries:
1-36 months: free replacement
37-45 months: 60%
46-55 months: 50%
91-100 months: 5%

I don't know the pro-rate warranty allowed from others.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Pro-Rated warranties for tires are a joke. You will most likely hear: "Ok sir for your 60,000 mile tire that you paid $200 each for and still has 73% of the tread left before it failed we will give you $12 toward the purchase of a new set."
smirk.gif

Then you may hear: "I'm really sorry sir but that is all the manufacturer will allow...no I can't do that sir I don't think a tire will fit up there"
13.gif

AT gave me good pro-rated for the tires I bought from DTD and installed at AT without mileage record. I got $30 each for Continental DWS with 3/32" - 4/32" left after 27-28k miles.

The terms of the pro-rated warranty are often not what you expect.

In some cases you get a pro-rated credit against the price you paid, usually a discount, to be used only against a list price replacement. And the warranty continues from the original product, not starting anew.

Originally Posted By: djb
The terms of the pro-rated warranty are often not what you expect.

In some cases you get a pro-rated credit against the price you paid, usually a discount, to be used only against a list price replacement. And the warranty continues from the original product, not starting anew.

This is usually the case with "Free Replacement" period, but not with pro-rated.

According to the service advisors at Costco, the pro-rated is applied to current sale price of the battery/tire ... And you're still eligible for the rebate(s).

Last edited:
Right. If it's an 80k warranty and it lasts 40k,within the warranty period,then you get a 50% credit toward the new set of tires.

I once got the stock Contis on an Escape replaced at 18k miles. They gave me a credit based on proration but allowed me to apply it to the upgraded CrossContact LX tire. That was nice. I don't remember if the warranty on the new tires started from 0.

Treadwear warranties:

In theory, if a claim for treadwear warranty is accepted and there is a prorated adjustment, the transaction is over.

Put another way, you have been compensated for what you didn't get and the next set of tires starts the process over.

Example: Your first set of tires achieves only 50% of the warranty mileage, so you get a 50% discount on the next set of tires. That transaction completely resolves any issues - except what happens to the set going on - which will be dealt with when you get there.

Also, I want to point out that OE tires - that is, the tires that come on a new car from the assembly plant do NOT have a treadwear warranty - even if the tire is advertised for sale with one. That's because the vehicle manufacturers only buy the tire and not the treadwear warranty coverage - where the tire is sold on the open market has the treadwear warranty cost rolled into the purchase price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back