VQ30 flow rate and Wix 51182

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Napa/Wix 1334 canister is the same height as the stock Honda oil filter(blue filter in pic's) for the Honda S2000 but the Napa/Wix is about 3/16" less in diameter. The Napa filter inside of the canister is a good bit smaller than the stock Honda filter.
But with the oversize Wix 51182, I would think that the filter inside would be at least twice as large as the Honda oil filter.

ROD

Today I got tired of trying to pass a mini game on Zelda and decided to trial fit my NG 1182 filter.

I had to remove some material with my Chraftsman angle die grinder. After removing some aluminum from above the pan rail gasket area it barely scrapes just enough to remove some paint from the can.

1182b_zpsa1732d8b.jpg

I then applied some of my daughters paint to the filter gasket and installed the filter. Sealing area looks great to me.

1182d_zpsd13f9f19.jpg

1182c_zps2f2c0c34.jpg

Luckily I was over full 1/2 a quart so removing and reinstalling the filter was not a big issue. All grinding was done with the small filter in place and then sprayed with brake cleaner and then air prior to removing the filter again. The car was not run with the 1182 filter, that will wait until the oil change in about 1.5K.

Last edited:
I went ahead and changed the oil 641 miles early today. Startup was as quiet as any other startup after an oil change.

The reason for the larger filter is two-fold. Both reasons are related to the extra oil capacity.
1 I like the idea of using the whole 5qt jug rather than having extra oil take up space in my small garage.
2 I feel better about stretching the OCI to 5K+ with the extra .75qt.

As far as being a dead ringer, the bypass is 24 rather than 8-11, but with the larger media I believe the pressure differential will be close to the same.

Ok not so good news. Napa 1182 + 49* X 3000RPM = rattling.

Next I will try a 1347 with 8-11psi bypass.

Ok not so good news. Napa 1182 + 49* X 3000RPM = rattling.
Next I will try a 1347 with 8-11psi bypass.

Edit
I went ahead and installed a 1347.

Here's the Oil Filter's specs:
Part Number: 51347
Media: Paper
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20

Burst Pressure-PSI: 325
Max Flow 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

I would call this filter a dead ringer.

Borrowed this pic from my 350z

OilFilterComparison-sidebyside.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rrounds
I have ran both the B7042 and B202 oil filters from Baldwin on my Honda S2000 and will not go back to the stock filter ever. Have over 65k miles on these oil filters with no complaints from me or the engine.

If you want to try the larger oil filter from Baldwin its not much money and free shipping
http://www.drillspot.com/products/551219/baldwin_filters_b202_spin-on_full-flow_lube_filter

The filter I picked up was only 7.77 regular price.

The bypass valve setting is to high for my taste, I learned that lesson.
Quote:
Anti-Drainback Valve and 20PSID By-Pass Valve

Last edited:
Just because the filter's bypass valve setting is high doesn't mean it's a bad thing. The bypass setting is more based on the design of the filter - ie, what's the expected viscosity and flow rate of the oil, and the media area which dictates holding capacity. All those factors come into play when the designer sets the filter bypass setting. IMO, it's more about the filter's design than the car the filter goes on to. I doubt your rattling noise at 3000 RPM at not so cold temperatures had nothing to do with the bypass setting. That filter is so huge that it would probably never go into bypass mode.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Just because the filter's bypass valve setting is high doesn't mean it's a bad thing. The bypass setting is more based on the design of the filter - ie, what's the expected viscosity and flow rate of the oil, and the media area which dictates holding capacity. All those factors come into play when the designer sets the filter bypass setting. IMO, it's more about the filter's design than the car the filter goes on to. I doubt your rattling noise at 3000 RPM at not so cold temperatures had nothing to do with the bypass setting. That filter is so huge that it would probably never go into bypass mode.

This was my thinking as well, but something about the filter caused rattling where it never did before.

Originally Posted By: asand1

This was my thinking as well, but something about the filter caused rattling where it never did before.

Maybe the gigantic volume of the filter acts like a big damper to oil flow and pressure, and messes up the flow to the engine - wouldn't seem possible, but who knows. Seems strange your engine would do that.

My guess its the lower flow rate and higher bypass setting. At any rate, the new filter is spot on with all the important specs.

+1 I just went up to Truckee,CA in my S2000 and the temp. was 7*F when we stopped for food and some shopping. With the Baldwin B202 oil filter and the low temp's, we had no noise(other than from my wallet) come from our engine on start up even after 2 1/2 hours of the wife shopping. LOL
The large Baldwin filters will flow more oil than my engine will ever need, even when its cold.
Top down all day.
http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/ad338/rrounds/Cold Drive/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back