Another crazy person shooting at a courthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not a random act here it seems, but also is contrary to the assessment that crazies and criminals dont go shooting at places where there is a known contingent of armed people...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201302...s_reported.html

In a country of 300 million, it is my belief there will be someone on a nearly daily basis doing something like this and there probably has been for quite some time. Gun related issues are at the forefront of the media these days and this is why we are being inundated with examples--especially those that help fuel the agenda.

It does however go right along with a criminal justice system that is lenient on sentencing and even more lenient on early release of people who do commit crimes.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
It does however go right along with a criminal justice system that is lenient on sentencing and even more lenient on early release of people who do commit crimes.

We have more incarcerated people than most anywhere else in the free world.

And your point is? Stay on track. A criminal receives a slap on the wrist for a crime of international kidnapping. He is released early. The system knows he has problems.
You want to tie it to your anti gun agenda saying people will go to places where there are armed officials.
I'll more logically tie it to a system that has failed to protect it's citizens from people who DESERVE to be incarcerated.
The number of people incarcerated means nothing to your argument.

We had a shooter loose in one of our courthouses last Spring - roamed around the courthouse with a .223, shot one court assistant and was then gunned down on the lawn outside.

I don't think it even made the news. It was in fly over country, so who cares, and there was no active anti gun agenda to be promoted.

Courthouses are dangerous and always will be due to the nature of what goes on in them.

People don't fear going to jail/prison in this country. In a lot of countries, they do.

As to go the gun debate, there is no evidence to support owning guns will make us safer. All the evidence points to the contrary (nations with the strongest gun laws being the safest from gun related crime).

"And your point is? Stay on track."

Actually, it's a valid point. If we are filling up our jails, we will at some point be overcrowded and cannot keep them all without charging the taxpayers far more money. But you knew that, instead trying to ignore his very good point.

There are always so many different ways to break down cultural issues like this. The way we glorify shootings certainly isn't doing us any good is my take. The focus from the shootings should have been on treating the root cause which is usually mental health (caused by other factors like bullying and things we can do better to control). The gun issue should be raised, but it isn't the main one to be focused on. If you want to kill people, you can use any number of readily available objects. Don't make it easier by giving them guns, but that's all we hear about.

My solution in conversations with my friends whenever there was a school shooting was simple...hold parents accountable for anything their kid does wrong. You can't force people to parent properly, but we should take steps to do something about it.

CUjobob, actually I agree with you a lot more than you think. Accountability for one's, and your kids, own actions is probably the biggest issue facing our country today. Mental health issues, and I have a child with these, are a huge issue. I wish I could get my child help as easily as I could buy a gun.
However, overcrowding of jails, and the costs associated with it (price one F-16 lately?) are a non issue if you continually let it be a revolving door where light sentencing is the norm.

Not a random act here it seems,

Which is exactly why it was done in an area with other armed people. It appears this has been going on for years and the guy snapped and wanted his revenge.

Quote:
All the evidence points to the contrary (nations with the strongest gun laws being the safest from gun related crime).

Can you please provide this evidence?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

In a country of 300 million, it is my belief there will be someone on a nearly daily basis doing something like this and there probably has been for quite some time...

I would add that having a current nationwide inventory of roughly one firearm per person means that the risk of misuse is going to be proportional also.

The reason? Turn on your TV tonight and count the number of prime time shows and movies with gun violence. This is our national violence training program. By the time a child is 18 he/she has seen over 1000 murders on Television. So, kids are numb to the concept by the time they reach adulthood.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Not a random act here it seems,

Which is exactly why it was done in an area with other armed people. It appears this has been going on for years and the guy snapped and wanted his revenge.

yeah but it is against the basis that people are too scared to go where others are armed, and that they only make targets in places where they wont get shot back at.

I agree with Doog, there is a horrible amount of violence protrayed on TV, video games, movies, etc., that almost certainly has an effect on some.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Hollywood is teflon in this discussion. Could it be campaign contributions at work?

Probably. Entertainers have a lot of influence...

Originally Posted By: Doog
The reason? Turn on your TV tonight and count the number of prime time shows and movies with gun violence. This is our national violence training program. By the time a child is 18 he/she has seen over 1000 murders on Television. So, kids are numb to the concept by the time they reach adulthood.

I dunno. Lots of kids grew up watching Wiley Coyote being bashed over the head with an anvil--yet they weren't unfazed. Maybe because it was completely unrealistic? And the realistic violence today is more believable? [Disregarding stuff like the hero/heroine being shot 3 times and yet can go back for more.] At the same time I wonder how many kids have any idea where their chicken McNuggets come from. Friends of ours raise chickens, and the kids still keep naming the chickens...

What I dislike is how many actors can be against guns yet have no problem collecting a check for acting in an action flick. I guess it's acting, and they can dissasociate themselves from it (I could too, with enough money I guess) but it strikes me as hypocritical.

Personally, I've lost my taste for action flicks. Used to love them, now I don't care for them. Don't know why. I'd like to think it was maturity, and not wanting to be entertained by mindless violence, but that's probably not it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back