Paper women shot by police by mistaken ident

Status
Not open for further replies.
This shooting of the two women, 50 rounds? The chief said sadly it was "mistaken identification"...
1) 2 old Spanish women look like a 300 pound black guy?
2) Where was the "threat"?

Here in OC we had 5 unarmed guys shot in 6 months. Shot for reaching to the waist. And every-time it's justified.

Not just in the getto, that kid who lived in Ladera Ranch who speed away from the cop. No record except tickets.
The cop knew where he lived and waited at his house. Shot 4 times to the torso for a "reach to the waist". They never find a gun so I don't know what all these guys are reaching for.
As a father I think enough is enough. Could be my son one day.

I'm not anti police and could care less about the gang-banger shot in the back(a shotgun was found near him) but as a father I think enough is enough. Could be my son one day.

Just for the sake of argument, can I...with a permit shoot someone for a reach or will I go to jail

This really sounds like it's getting to be a regional thing:
Go to Canadia and someone may try to buy you a beer.
Go to New Jersey and someone may solicit a bribe.
Go to Florida and someone may be drunk and run you over.
Go to California and a cop may shoot you dead for no reason.

It's not necessarily going to happen, you just hear about it a lot.

Here in south FL cops carry a 'throw down gun' which is a black plastic toy gun so they can cover their butt if they shoot an unarmed person.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Just for the sake of argument, can I...with a permit shoot someone for a reach or will I go to jail

You would go to jail and more than likely be convicted of murder.

The way things are now a days the police are paranoid, the best place (first movement) your hands should go with police involved is straight up in the air...

Well, on the flip side, Dorner now knows if he wants to hunt another person on his "list", he should come disguised as a paper delivery guy.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Here in south FL cops carry a 'throw down gun' which is a black plastic toy gun so they can cover their butt if they shoot an unarmed person.

Ex-New Orleans cops testified that cops routinely carried "ham sandwiches" ie paper bags with illegal guns with wiped prints. They planted them if unarmed people were shot.

You better hope the bad guy did in fact have gun in his waistband and did pose a threat to you or your family.
The normal citizen even with a gun permit does not have the same powers as a cop.
Somebody breaks into my house, they are a threat because they "broke into" my house. To me I can use lethal force to stop them from going any further. The cops aren't going to be there to stop them. But with all the stupid laws who knows.
Thats where the saying "Judged by 12 before carried by 6" would come into play.

The rest of us know to identify what we are shooting and so should the cops. .I hope the ones that can't tell a Hispanic female in a blue Toyota from a 300 lb black man in a grey Titan get prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
This shooting of the two women, 50 rounds? The chief said sadly it was "mistaken identification"...
1) 2 old Spanish women look like a 300 pound black guy?
2) Where was the "threat"?

The truck was blue Tacoma vs dark-gray Titan.
The elderly woman was shot in the back.

Makes you thing, Hm?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/2-innocent-women-shot-during-074000139.html

EDIT: didn't see Chris' post when I posted.

Last edited:
They also tried to kill a white guy with a surf board who they mistook for 300 lb black guy. I guess they rammed his truck and started shooting after he passed through a check point.

Cops need some accountability. It isn't just OC, Chicago is struggling with the same police problems.

The cops were a protection detail (a bit more sensitive to the unknown and those not properly responding to commands), it was in the wee hours of the morning (low light situation), the truck was driving without headlights on, and they tried to get the truck to stop before opening fire. And 50 rounds is not unseasonable. Cops are trained to put bullets down range. Despite the 50 shots, I believe there were a total of 3 hits.

I'm not saying the cops involved are innocent, but I think they should get the benefit of the doubt. And I think the women should receive some form of financial compensation, but not the $10 million they are likely to try for.

Our cops are really good. I have no reason to feel uncomfortable or distrust them. But stories like this are just crazy.

And the paranoia of protection that drives this kind of thing is just way too much.

But aren't these police the most highly trained gun users?

Hardly calm in a dangerous situation when the public is relying on them to protect them are they?

Originally Posted By: FoxS
But aren't these police the most highly trained gun users?

Hardly calm in a dangerous situation when the public is relying on them to protect them are they?

Funny, we had on reruns of criminal minds tv show on tonight while folding laundry, and the nerd guy said that statistically police have as high a chance of being criminals or murderers as any other segment of the population.

Just a TV show, but I imagine they are at least spewing wikipedia-grade info... To a great extent this sounds more like craziness than jitters...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
the nerd guy said that statistically police have as high a chance of being criminals or murderers as any other segment of the population.

I would say higher, as police job surely attracts sadists and some other aggressive types (no disrespect to the honest police persons).

Our cops are really good. I have no reason to feel uncomfortable or distrust them. But stories like this are just crazy.

And the paranoia of protection that drives this kind of thing is just way too much.

+1
We have.. um.. aggressive cops in Chicago, but once you get outside the city they are ok.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
the nerd guy said that statistically police have as high a chance of being criminals or murderers as any other segment of the population.

I would say higher, as police job surely attracts sadists and some other aggressive types (no disrespect to the honest police persons).

Thank you for that last bit. Too many people seem to have the "throw the baby out with the bath water" mentality when it comes to peace officers.

I'm not a cop, but at one time considered such (pays too little), but I know many good cops. My friend's father was a highway patrol officer in Los Angeles and my friend's mom said that many, if not most, cops are crooked, but there are still plenty of good guys out there.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
The cops were a protection detail (a bit more sensitive to the unknown and those not properly responding to commands), it was in the wee hours of the morning (low light situation), the truck was driving without headlights on, and they tried to get the truck to stop before opening fire. And 50 rounds is not unseasonable. Cops are trained to put bullets down range. Despite the 50 shots, I believe there were a total of 3 hits.

I'm not saying the cops involved are innocent, but I think they should get the benefit of the doubt. And I think the women should receive some form of financial compensation, but not the $10 million they are likely to try for.

did you read the same article I did?

the 2 hispanic women were delivering papers.. they never said anything to them.

the guy with the surfboard was turning around at a police checkpoint as directed when police who were responding to the shooting of the 2 hispanic women.. rammed their car into the surfer turning around and opened fire on him...

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

That might be a big part of the problem right there. If the local culture allows for a guy to decide that a cop job is a good deal that's easy to get, then you're going to get a bunch of bad cops.

Every cop I know has a job. I don't know even one cop who became a cop because he needed a job. The decision is that that this is what they want to be not what they want to do for a living. When you have a culture where being a police officer is something to be proud of you tend to get good cops.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Only might work if they killed both women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back