Recommended oils? 2.8 Audi A6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I'm new here and I'll try and put in as much info I can to help you help me, but I'll probably miss something so just let me know!

She is a 1998 Audi A6 quattro with the 2.8 v6, automatic, and 173k miles. I've had the car for about 2500 miles (about 4 and a half months).It currently has Castrol conventional in it just reaching 4000 miles, I'm going to be doing an oil change this week and want to know which way to go. I live in Minnesota, so winters can be HARSH. I do most of my driving to and from work, it is about a 10-13 minute drive (about 3 1/2 miles), in the mornings at 530 when I go to work and make all the lights it only takes about 7ish minutes. My coolant temp hardly moves by the time I get to work, my oil temp is at about 175 when I get to work. My driving is in the suburban back streets and highways. Very rarely do I drive any more then 15 miles. I will be taking an occasional road trip here and there, but maybe once or twice a year. I do not beat on this car, it rarely sees above 3500 rpms. Being that it has been pretty cold I let it sit and idle for about 10ish minutes before I head to work. In the winter I sometimes do valet work at the club house and I shuttle the valets to and from the parking lot, so in a span of 20 minutes I might start it multiple times for those short shuttles. Being so I was considering going with a synthetic oil for the winter, and conventional in the summer. I don't drive it as much in the summer as I have my firebird for the nice days and only do the valet work in the winter.

So which synthetic oil and filter would you recommend for winter use, and which conventional oil and filter would you recommend for the summer? Should I stick with conventional year round? I will not use synthetic in the summer.

Last edited:
That engine is really easy on oil. We have a 32v version 2000 A6 and have been running either maxlife or nexgen 5-30 in winter and usually 10-30 in the summer.

Car is at 190,000 miles and has no issues. With your trips I'd just change it 3x/year.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about what oil to use in this car. Just figured I'd get on here and see what ya'll said.

My buddy has a 2001 2.8 quattro with 280,000 miles on it. At 260,000 he accidentally went over a speed bump too fast and cracked the pan. Drove it about 10 miles to work with the oil leaking out until the oil light came on a minute from his work, he just punched it and got to work and watched the rest of the oil leak out. Put a new pan and gasket on and 20,000 miles later engine runs just fine. He puts in the cheapest conventional oil he can get his hands on.

Thanks for the recommendation antonmnster. If anyone else has any info please chime in! The more the merrier.

Last edited:
My mom has a 99 A6 Quattro with the same motor, it's running QSUD 5w30 and a PureOne right now for the winter. When I change it for the warmer months it gets M1 5w40. She does all easy highway miles (20 miles each way to town), so it's definitely not abused or anything.

As for my 95 A6 Quattro with the 12v engine, I just run 10w40 NextGen I got nearly free from the close the loop rebates, it does use a decent amount of oil though so I don't bother with synthetic. Before NextGen I just ran regular Maxlife 10w40.

These cars seem to like the heavier 40 weight oil, but as cold as it gets up there you're probably fine running a 30 weight oil, might want to consider a 40 weight for the summers though.

Originally Posted By: FormulaJoe
Being so I was considering going with a synthetic oil for the winter, and conventional in the summer.

I'm not one to generally recommend synthetics, but if it were me, I'd likely be using Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, M1 0w-40, GC 0w-30, or something similar year round.

Used to have a 2.8 Audi in the family, And I'd agree with Garak. The oils he said and also Rotella 5W-40 were the ones i'd use depending on price and availability along with with OE Mann/Mahle filters. I'd run for 5k-10k depending on how much makeup she used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back