Cruise Ship Adrift...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least they're getting all their money back this time, including "expenses." Seems in the past all they've gotten are discounted future trips.

Biggest downside is Carnival is going to fly those 3,000 passengers from a tiny Yucatan city (Merida) back to the states. Unless they charter in about 20 737s, it's going to take days to get all those passengers back to the states.

They have generator power....so as long as they refund your $$ and comp all the free drinks....ITS PARTY TIME BABY!!
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I still don't understand the point of cruises. This makes it even harder to understand.

Cruising is economical and we have enjoyed it. I would argue that if you have to travel to board the ship much of the benefit is negated.

Living in Houston we can just hire a car to take use to the cruise terminal 30 miles away in Galveston. This puts my mind at ease as I don’t want either of our cars parked in a lot or garage for a week. Nor do I want then parked right by the salt water…

We took a seven day to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Granted it is touristy and much focus is placed on shopping but it is relaxing. I enjoy the sea days more than the ports. There is much to do, eat, and drink and it is all included except the booze and the sodas.

If you don’t get carried away with drink, shore excursions, and shopping it is cheaper than spending a week driving, eating out, and staying at hotels. It is also cheaper than flying to a destination and staying a full week or so. This last time we splurged and got a suite with a balcony, Jacuzzi tube, etc. and still only spent just over two grand…

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I still don't understand the point of cruises. This makes it even harder to understand.

Cruising is economical and we have enjoyed it. I would argue that if you have to travel to board the ship much of the benefit is negated.

Living in Houston we can just hire a car to take use to the cruise terminal 30 miles away in Galveston. This puts my mind at ease as I don’t want either of our cars parked in a lot or garage for a week. Nor do I want then parked right by the salt water…

We took a seven day to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Granted it is touristy and much focus is placed on shopping but it is relaxing. I enjoy the sea days more than the ports. There is much to do, eat, and drink and it is all included except the booze and the sodas.

If you don’t get carried away with drink, shore excursions, and shopping it is cheaper than spending a week driving, eating out, and staying at hotels. It is also cheaper than flying to a destination and staying a full week or so. This last time we splurged and got a suite with a balcony, Jacuzzi tube, etc. and still only spent just over two grand…

X2, cruises are an amazingly great value.

We took our first cruise on that ship back in September. I think it was scheduled to be put into dry dock this month and completely upgraded.I guess that timeline will be moved up a bit.

The Coast Guard needs to push these companies for more redundancy that actually works. If it was bad weather, being adrift and not being able to steer into a wave would be a disaster.

They are international companies operating in international waters. There is little the U.S. Coast Guard, or any other country's Coast Guard can enforce.

I've been on one. It was alright. A learning experience.
I've also read more than one story about an elderly person becoming ill, or falling down stairs, and the "Doctor" the cruise line had on board was more of a 3rd world nurse. Long story short, days pass, the old folks are not evacuated, and they slip into a coma and die.

Personally, after the Costa Concordia, I'm not going near one again. One fool can kill a lot of people.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
They are international companies operating in international waters. There is little the U.S. Coast Guard, or any other country's Coast Guard can enforce.

This is incorrect. I work in the commercial marine industry. All internationally-trading ships are heavily regulated by independent "classification societies", all of which enforce the regulations of the International Maritime Organization as well as their own harmonized standards, and those of the state to which the ship is registered if any.

You can be sure a debilitating engine room fire like this is a result of a catastrophic mechanical failure of some kind.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The Coast Guard needs to push these companies for more redundancy that actually works. If it was bad weather, being adrift and not being able to steer into a wave would be a disaster.

A ship that size is at little risk of capsizing due to waves, though it would be very uncomfortable for the crew.

The electrical distribution system does have redundancy to keep critical systems up an running in the event of an engine room fire. It's a completely separate "emergency generator" and appears to be up and running on the Triumph. Very few ships worldwide have completely separate and redundant engine rooms. It's prohibitively expensive.

Made several "cruise's" while on active duty in the Navy. They were all done on Spruance class destroyers and Aegis cruisers. No more for me!

I don't get the point of a floating hotel burning 500,000 gallons of Bunker C fuel each trip (about as environmentally unfriendly as you can get) so that everyone on board can eat and drink themselves silly. Plenty of good hotels on land you can do that in with no Bunker C fuel.

Originally Posted By: kam327

Biggest downside is Carnival is going to fly those 3,000 passengers from a tiny Yucatan city (Merida) back to the states. Unless they charter in about 20 737s, it's going to take days to get all those passengers back to the states.

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. When we took our Panama Canal cruise in 2003 the ship we were on (Celebrity) had some catastrophic engine failure and they couldn't get us back safely. They put us up ina hotel in Acapulco for a couple days and chartered a bunch of planes to get us back to the states. From what I remember they were flying people pretty much non stop for a couple days.

It sucked as I ended up with a stomach bug while there, had to see the hotel "Doctor" and felt like [censored] for a couple days. And all we got was a few hundred $$ for another cruise.

I know a couple of people that think cruises are the greatest value there is. I have a friend though that retired from the Navy that took his wife on a cruise and hated it. For me I did enough of the floating in the ocean going from Charleston to Ha,Australia and Guam. I read enough stories about passengers getting sick from food and the like and just plain don't have any desire to go anywhere that I have to fly or float.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back