Replacement Certs from DT Retail & Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are considering the free tire replacement certificates from Discount Tire, America's Tire or Discount Tire Direct, this is something to take note of.

On both of my recent tire purchases at an America's Tire center, the salesperson offered these certificates with a new tire purchase. I rejected the offer, and he offered to sell me four certificates for the price of three. I declined again, and his final offer was four certificates for the price of two. At that price, I bought them. This happened on two separate visits, at two different locations in different parts of the state.

On my Discount Tire Direct purchase this week, I was again offered the certificates. I tried to push for the four certificates for the price of two deal, but the rep would not bite. The best he was willing to do was four for the price of three.

Regardless, if you are planning to purchase these certificates, the price is clearly negotiable. Whether or not you should purchase them though, is a different discussion that will greatly depend on the price and size of the tires.

Keep in mind that tire purchases from a retail America's Tire or Discount Tire location already include pro-rated road hazard. However, tires purchased from Discount Tire Direct do not include any form of road hazard warranty.

Hopefully this will save someone some money...

Everything's negotiable - you just have to know how to do it and have a sales person who's willing to play ball. It's like the four square sheet that every old-school car salesman wants to use - they make it look like four separate deals going on, but in reality it's just different aspects of them working you over as thoroughly as you'll allow.

I've generally found everything in the DT tire buying experience to be negotiable. Doing your pricing research prior to hitting the ST store is the way to get the best deal.

I've never negotiated on the certs, but it's not surprising they would also negotiate on them too. That said, I find the certs, like any extended warranty, to generally be a poor investment. DT fixes punctures for free, or will get you a prorated price on a tire that is punctured in a non repairable area or a damaged tire. And the certs expire 3 years from purchase, though when I mentioned that to a DT counter salesman during my last purchase, he said they would honor it longer. Based on my experience with DT I don't doubt him. But depending on price, total replacement peace of mind is worth something I suppose.

I do have a question though. Why did you purchase tires from DTD rather than directly from DT/AT? Here, there isn't any tire that DTD sells that DT can't/won't get with a matched/lower price including a DTD no tax price if applicable. Several times I've used the DTD no tax price to negotiate a lowest DT price, and then I also have the DT installation sevices negotiated in the deal.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I do have a question though. Why did you purchase tires from DTD rather than directly from DT/AT? Here, there isn't any tire that DTD sells that DT can't/won't get with a matched/lower price including a DTD no tax price if applicable. Several times I've used the DTD no tax price to negotiate a lowest DT price, and then I also have the DT installation sevices negotiated in the deal.

There were a few reasons, but it was mainly a logistics issue. The tires were for a friend's car that was located at the other end of the state. I was not confident that she would do as well as me with in-person negotiating.

Also, DTD had the advantage of $50 off, lower tire price, and no sales tax. The person at my local America's Tire was hesitant and didn't feel confident that he would be able to match it, so it would be an iffy proposition to send her into her local store to negotiate for this.

On tires purchased from DTD, you do not get any road hazard at all. Tires purchased at retail DT/ATC locations get free pro-rated road hazard. So even though DTD tires usually have no sales tax or disposal fee, you usually end up spending 8-10/tire on the "certs" in order to have some type of road hazard warranty, making the tax savings a wash. Of course, some people do not want road hazard so this may be a moot point.

As it turns out, DTD and ATC ran a $100 off special today. DTD absolutely refused to consider a price adjustment, even though the tires had not shipped. They advised me to cancel the order and order locally.

The local ATC was able to get me the $100 off instantly, save me $8/tire, give me free pro-rated road hazard so I would not need the certs, and get the tires here in 2 days versus 15 days with DTD.

Out the door was $368 installed with lifetime balance and pro-rated road hazard.

With DTD previously, I would've been paying $350 + $43 for road hazard + $52 for Walmart install= $445.

So, I saved $77 by taking care of this today. Even if I had not purchased the certificates, I still would've saved $34 and would have gotten free road hazard.

What are the specific terms of the free prorated road hazard warranty? I could not find specific info at the DT Stores website.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
What are the specific terms of the free prorated road hazard warranty? I could not find specific info at the DT Stores website.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/brochure/tire/certificate.jsp

Thanks for the response, but that link is not for the free standard hazard warranty.

Sorry. I got confused because I don't think DTC offers a free road hazard warranty. I think those are manufacturer's road hazard warranties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back