castrol gtx or pennzoil yb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the same boat as you...can't descide between those oils,but im also considering valvoline white bottle.
As far as i read, pennzoil yellow bottle is the favorite one in this forum.

Most will tell you that they both are great oils.

Both are proven and should do well with 5K OCI.

That is a generalization. It will depend on your car's engine, mileage, and factory recommended OCI.

Both good.
Have seen extended UOA's on both and both held up well.
I would say it depends on your circumstances but you don't list any of those.

I have seen Both used for so many thousands of miles (up to 35,000 miles)without Top-off that they turn to 299w Sludge, and still keep the engine from seizing.

Pennzoil is well respected here and they have two of the best synthetics that are fairly priced. I'd go that route myself, but likely either will be great.

Originally Posted By: dslofti
Between these 2 oils which is better? Any long milege stories with these?

Whichever you can get most easily and most cheaply will be better. They're both fantastic oils. I've used both quite a bit, with a lot of GTX many years back. My old LTD from years ago was totalled with 500,000 km on it. About half of that usage was with GTX, the first half with QS.

Up here at least, GTX is always a good choice because of pricing.

Look at the ads and buy the cheapest on sale at the time They are both fine in most applications for recommended OCI

Which would be the most common used. I know alot of dealers have pennzoil or mobil.

Originally Posted By: dslofti
Which would be the most common used. I know alot of dealers have pennzoil or mobil.

I would say that Pennzoil is by far the most used Dino oil on the market from information I have gathered( Didn't say best, but it does go to show how well respected the oil is). But on the other hand, You can get Castrol at Walmart and Autozone is always pushing this oil and has it on sale as we speak in many locations.

Last edited:
I vote for pennzoil. It is available anywhere here and for a fair price. GTX is good too but it is usually twice the price down here at most places. Fred's had a sale on GTX, $2.50 per quart. Don't know if it is still going on or not. PYB was $2 per quart in the same sale. Check your local Fred's, they usually have some great oil and filter prices. I don't know if it was a national sale or just local.

Originally Posted By: salv
Mobil Super 5000. Cheaper than both, and as good, if not better than both.

I rather buy a house brand than to buy a XOM product, but there is nothing wrong with a XOM oil.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: salv
Mobil Super 5000. Cheaper than both, and as good, if not better than both.

I rather buy a house brand than to buy a XOM product, but there is nothing wrong with a XOM oil.

Care to share why? I am curious. Most rave over XOM.

I have had a bias against XOM for quite a while. But I agree it is a personal bias and that XOM is a leader in the oil industry I just choose to not endorse nor use their products. You could do a lot worse than use Mobil oil.

Originally Posted By: vtecboy
I'm in the same boat as you...can't descide between those oils,but im also considering valvoline white bottle.
As far as i read, pennzoil yellow bottle is the favorite one in this forum.

GTX,VWB,and PYB. My three fave dinos! Tough choice indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back