Milky Color Under Oil Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cleaning under the hood today and took off my oil cap to reveal this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Car is a 2011 VW Jetta SE.

Engine is a 2.5L inline 5 cylinder with 19,200 miles on it.

OCI is 10K per VW manual.

A little research tells me this is normal in lower temperatures and is condensation. I should have nothing to worry about. Just wipe it off and drive.

The car is under warranty, so should I take it to the dealer and see what they recommend?

I've never seen that on an oil cap. If the car isn't a lease, I'd suggest cutting your OCI's in half.

Edit*
I'm interested to see other responses from people who have seen this before.

Last edited:
Do you have a plan to take it on the interstate for a 20 min. drive at least once a week? If not, you are not boiling off the condensation that is a biproduct of the combustion process. This is pretty much a normal condition you are observing with your VW. FWIW--Oldtommy

Read my signature.

Also I have seen this in many Chrysler Hemi engines. It really does not effect engine longevity. This seems to be a issues in oil fill neck design.

Originally Posted By: cobos06GT
I've never seen that on an oil cap. If the car isn't a lease, I'd suggest cutting your OCI's in half.

Edit*
I'm interested to see other responses from people who have seen this before.

live in the north you will.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its common to see this condensation in cold weather on mostly short trip engines. No problem.

I guess being from Florida, and doing a lot of driving, that's probably why I've never seen this.

I've seen that from old engines short tripping in winter, but it looks worse than normal and I've never seen it on a modern engine using a good oil. Is it only on the cap??
If the car is under warranty take pics and send them along with a letter to the dealer, just in case this turns out to be the start of more serious failure.
Do you know what the dealer is using for oil??

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer

The car is under warranty, so should I take it to the dealer and see what they recommend?

Definitely. It's much better to have someone else wipe it off with a filthy rag and tell you it's normal than to wipe it off yourself.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

Definitely. It's much better to have someone else wipe it off with a filthy rag and tell you it's normal than to wipe it off yourself.

Since I have been car shopping when I see that I get a little on my finger and taste it. Sweet is bad oily is good. I have tasted 3 bad head gaskets this month.
laugh.gif

+1 on cold weather causing this.
But... Don't wipe off, take to dealer and let them wipe off. Ask them to note this in your service file.
I would also ask exactly what kind of oil they are using.

I have a 2006 Chev Colorado with 2.8 engine. I have the same thing going on. Its called short tripping (2.5 miles) in cold weather. Condensation. I try to do a 20 mile highway trip every two weeks just to burn off the moisture.

A little research tells me this is normal in lower temperatures and is condensation. I should have nothing to worry about. Just wipe it off and drive.

It's possibly normal, given your winters. I'd simply NOT wipe it, and take it for a nice, long run and see what happens. When my PCV was bad in the F-150, I got it a lot, even with long (100 mile plus) drives. PCV change fixed it. Short tripping in the Infiniti did it once, and with a longer trip, it disappeared on its own, even though it was still terribly cold.

Originally Posted By: cobos06GT
I've never seen that on an oil cap.

In Tampa, I should hope not.

+1 Garak, I agree I would have the PCV changed, very cheap part. Doesn't matter if car is new or not, PCV can fall like anything else, sometimes sooner rather than later.

Absolutely, Topo. As I've mentioned in other threads, the PCV on the truck passed all the normal tests, but it obviously wasn't working. I replaced it with an OEM one for next to nothing in money and time, and the problem disappeared. Of course, the G was another matter, with actual short trips and terribly cold weather (i.e. -30 C and colder). It cleared up on its own with one long trip. The old truck, however, never, ever had short trips, with 100 miles being the absolute minimum trip, yet still having milky residue everywhere. The PCV switch fixed it basically immediately.

I'd just reiterate the OP should try a longer trip and see what happens

My friends F150's thermostat went bad triggering the CEL (t-stat stuck open p0178 I believe) and his oil filler cap looked like that.

Short tripping like others said will do that too but that seems to be a lot of condensation butter for short tripping, I could be wrong. I agree with others to have the dealer document it in your service file.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back