CR-V AWD during a snow storm. Tell us stories...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to try and come up with a title to attract reviews on the CR-V AWD.

I am looking into buying a 2013 CR-V AWD in the Spring, and was wondering if current owners are happy with the AWD performance during this very bad snow storm.

Up here in Montreal, AWD is the way to go, as we get quite a bit of snow and ice.

Anyway, I was looking into Subarus, and I like their AWD systems, but I am not a fan of their engines. If I had a brand new Subie and when the temps plummet to -25 C, if I heard piston slap I'd go insane. But that's just me.

I love the Honda resale values, they are fantastic. I have a hard time deciding if I should keep the Fit and give it to my wife and we sell her 2010 Mazda 3, but I am thinking we'd loose a ton of cash. But we both enjoy the Honda Fit more (more fun), even our daughter wants to go into "Daddys car" all the time.

But that is another issue to agonize over.

What I am looking for is stories, rants, and raves over your CR-V AWD during this storm if you ventured out.

P.S. I intend to own the car, so this is a long term purchase. Also, we may have another kid so this vehicle would need to accommodate a larger family in the near future.

Last edited:
My 2005 with good tires virtually never even uses the extra traction in snow. I really have to push it to break it loose.

When needed, it engages nicely and propels me wherever, quickly.

Haven't yet been able to use the AWD of our CR-V on snow yet, but playing around in dirt and on ice a little bit, it appears to be very effective. I follow CR-V message boards some and don't see any complaints about it. If you high-center it, and try to drive on a fresh 24" snow, of course you'll stick it. But when mindful of its moderate ground clearance, it works well.

Never had a problem, but I drive reasonably when the roads are snow covered. The only time I had trouble is when I decided to pull over the hump created by the plow to get to my spot. It went over fine, but the snow was deep enough on the other side that it held the body up and the tires were barely hitting the ground. Couple shovels under the car and it pulled the rest of the way in. We only get a handful of serious snows here a year too.

ref

We have the 09 CRV with 25,000 miles on it. It came with cheap bridgestone tires on it can't remember the model number but were replaced at 23,000 miles. They were not aggressive tires and in deep snow 12 inches you would be hard pressed to get it into AWD and then for only a second or two. The current tires are Michelin Defenders which are a lot nicer. So when you buy the 2013 check out what kind of tires are on it so you don't get stuck replacing them after about 20,000 miles.

I have an 09 CRV and would buy another one in a heartbeat. I have only seen the AWD light come on twice for a few seconds in almost 4 winters. I have never slid or lost control with the car, it always seems to be in control. I had not so good continentals on the car when I bought it and the car still performed fine. to the OP I think your title is perfect to attract the reviews you are looking for.

Last edited:
Vehicles today with what I call "instant on AWD" are not as capable as an AWD with a constant split of power but they will do fine for light snow/rain and such.

I had a 97 Bravada "Smart Trac" AWD that was split 60/40 at all times and could shift 100% of the power to where it was needed instantly. Great system..then in 98 GM changed the transfer case to an 0/100% system that only kicked in when needed and usually an instant too late. This also effected the Astro/Safaris 1998+. I hated the new style...better having 4WD in motion BEFORE you need it than only when trouble hits. Plus, AWD as intended 100% gives safer all around driving in rain and such as its active all the time.

I love that my 2006 Sierra Denali AWD is a split system too with AWD always working.

But - with that little CRV being FWD mainly, I think it will do ok with the delayed AWD as long as the snow is not deep.

I have a 2002 CR-V with the AWD. I currently have inexpensive Firestone snows on it. On Thursday, I was caught in a significant storm and had to drive approximately 45 miles on snow covered, rural two lane roads. On the way to my destination, I counted six cars in ditches. Meanwhile, the CR-V performed perfectly. There was one to six inches of snow on the road and a layer of ice underneath; it truly felt like I was driving on dry pavement. I'm still amazed. I bought this car over two years ago and there have been very few opportunities to check the stability of the vehicle in the snow. The CR-V with the snow tires saved my butt. I'm very, very pleased and would purchase another CR-V in a heartbeat.

If piston slap is a concern then you may not be completely devoid of it in cold weather with the k24, at least that is the general consensus. My Accord has a relatively prolonged "clack" when cold until the block is warm (10 minutes), then, smooth as silk. I know Hokie has a similar issue, and could better speak to the CRV specific noise. That said, UOA's come back fine and there appears to be no issue with regard to engine longevity.

Piston slap in our 2008 CR-V is *significantly* reduced when using M1's AFE oils. I've used 0W-20 in it before and was quite happy with it. I'm using 0W-30 in it right now out of curiosity, but both are very quiet in the engine. The engine was by far the loudest on SOPUS synthetics. I normally defer to SOPUS oil, so this isn't an M1 fanboy speaking. In fact, I've had loud engines before on Mobil 1, so it was to my surprise that they run the quietest in both of our Honda engines. I will continue to use them, in either grade.

I look forward to when Walmart starts consistently stocking the 0W-20 in 5-quart jugs. It's beyond me why almost all of them stock 0W-30 (which is not an OEM-recommended oil in anything in the US that I know of), yet very few stock the 0W-20, which has quite a few OEM recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Also, we may have another kid so this vehicle would need to accommodate a larger family in the near future.

These are excellent family haulers. They're just big enough in my opinion for most family cargo requirements, but still small enough and light enough to be tossable in corners. Our Acura MDX weighs 4,500 pounds, and it's still lighter than most larger SUVs, but you can tell you're pushing 4,500 pounds around. Our CR-V is closer to 3,500 pounds, and there's a huge difference in vehicle response. It won't slot around like your Fit, but I think you'll feel very much at home in a CR-V if you like how the Fit drives.

Of the many vehicles I've owned (an Olds, a Buick, two Cadillacs, two Toyotas, a Nissan, a Saturn, and three Mopars), the CR-V is my favorite. It offers everything I want in an efficient and reliable package.

AWD/4WD with snow tires really makes a car a monster in the snow. I'm on my second Audi S4 with Blizzak snow tires, and I'm routinely passing people on snow-covered roads. It just feels so confident and connected.

Here in California we have relatively mild weather. During the winter season I sometimes take the family on trips to Reno, NV where it snows. A few years ago while in Reno, NV I drove on a road with black ice and the CRV did a little bit of sliding around. While it was a scary experience, numerous cars were also sliding around me. I felt really lucky that nobody crashed. I recall some lights on the dash lighting up while sliding. I'm not sure which lights lit up but I was able to regain control of the vehicle quite fast and the dash lights went away.

I don't know if the CR-V AWD system is similar to the Ridgeline's VTM-4 setup but I can say the latter gives absolute seamless traction.

Visited my buddies hunting plot in the Northwoods of WI for deer season and he had just purchased a 2008 Honda Ridgeline from an estate sale. He said get in and give it a try. The trail we were on was covered with some heavy snow and about 6" deep. I tried my best w/ wheel locked to right + WOT to purposely cause a fishtail and sadly I was not able to get that pickup to lose control.

What surprised me the most was that he mentioned that the Goodyear silent armors it had on needed to be replaced ASAP because they were at the wear bars. So I was essentially riding around on semi-bald tires and it was handling like a Polaris snowmobile.

My MIL has had no problems with her 2007 in the snow, using only all-season tires.

One Christmas we had 6-8", and she made it with no problems, while my brother's RWD 4Runner got stuck in my neighborhood and we had to push him out. We also had to push him out of the driveway when he left.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Vehicles today with what I call "instant on AWD" are not as capable as an AWD with a constant split of power.
I think the former is what's known as an "on demand" system.

Regarding snow tires: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/winter-tyres-vs-4x4

The 4x4 Skoda Yeti in that video has a Haldex on-demand system, probably the best design of that type.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I recall some lights on the dash lighting up while sliding. I'm not sure which lights lit up but I was able to regain control of the vehicle quite fast and the dash lights went away.

It was likely the stability control light, or in Honda-speak, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA). There is a VSA OFF button on the dash to toggle the system on and off. Default is obviously "on".

Originally Posted By: GenSan
I don't know if the CR-V AWD system is similar to the Ridgeline's VTM-4 setup but I can say the latter gives absolute seamless traction.
[snip]
I tried my best w/ wheel locked to right + WOT to purposely cause a fishtail and sadly I was not able to get that pickup to lose control.

I know what you mean. Our Acura has the same VTM+4 system and even with VSA off (no brake-based traction control), I really can't get it to spin on snow...ice would have been more fun for that. Admittedly, the tires were brand new at the time, so it was at the point in their lives were snow traction is the greatest. Still, especially with VSA on, it would be extremely difficult to get into trouble...it simply stays glued to the surface below.

QC requires winter tires. So reality is the AWD will rarely be needed in a CRV. It cannot touch a candle to ful time Subaru AWD. For the tough stuff it does not have a software "diff" locker RAV4 like the current generation for 4wd mode.(
My experience is observations of who gets stuck and who makes it up across our tough driveway at ski house.

I find the VSA system in my Acura MDX with SH AWD(different) actually gets me stuck in deeper snow. I have to turn it off when conditions are rough so brakes don't go crazy.

The driveway I speak about drifts in 12"-36" with fine powder as it in an exposed field.

Originally Posted By: dparm
AWD/4WD with snow tires really makes a car a monster in the snow. I'm on my second Audi S4 with Blizzak snow tires, and I'm routinely passing people on snow-covered roads. It just feels so confident and connected.

Winter tires are the key thing. I remember passing folks in 12" deep light snow in a low slung 95 Civic Coupe going to mountains in the unplowed highway lane. AWD is a bonus for getting going in deep or steep stuff.

As mentioned they arent AWD, they are FWD with some tourque sensing.

Both my SIL have them, an 07 and a 09 with all the ginger bread.
They both hate them in the snow. They both complain about them, say they dont track straight and fishtail in packed snow. Note they are too cheap to put good tires on them. I would guess the all seasons on them suck in the snow.

One had a Trailblazer with the NV242 transfer case, so she is spoiled coming from a real Full Time 4wd with 50/50 Tq split in full time or lock in part time, both axles get tourque, aint never going loose traction and will track nice and straight.

The other had a Caravan, guess that had better tires becuase she said it was much better in the snow.

Myself I would avoid these half [censored] systems unless you can lock the center diff so you can split the tourque 50/50 or there abouts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back