4-New tire time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the GF's work vehicle, 2010 accent has 3 nearly bald factory tires and a used tigerpaw.

She is on her winter tires currently (michelin xice xi2)

When its time for the winter tires to come off I need to have new tires mounted and ready to go.

anyone know of any upcoming deals by apr 1st or so?

Top of my list are
Hankook h727
Cooper CS4-T rated
michelin defender

would consider other highly rated/liked tires.

theoretically they dont need to be all season but in ohio I'd rather have all-seasons even with dedicated winter tires.

edit: tire size is 185/65R14, 195/65r14's will fit but I'll be staying oem unless the upsize is cheaper.

Last edited:
Your list of the three tires Hankook H727, Cooper CS4, Michelin Defender are all good. You may like to add this tire to your list to compare: Yokohama AVID Touring-S.

The Accent is not a performance car so your GF should look for a good ride/quiet tire that performs well on wet and light snow. All 4 above will do well.

I had the same choices for my sportage v6. Went with General altimax rt. great dry and wet weather, with more and more consistant reviews versus cooper CS4

Originally Posted By: bourne
Dunlop Signature II

One of the MOST underrated tires in the market. Rides nice, works well in rain and doesnt make alot of noise. Price seems excellent as well.

This works, or the CS4.

On a cost basis?

Starfire RS-C 2.0

Made in USA. (Cooper private label) You are running winter tires so snow traction is not an issue. Overall reviews are pretty good with treadlife being the consistant shortcoming. (at $50 odd dollars a tire that's forgivable)

The General Altimax HP would be my choice in that size.

It has the proper speed rating and a very reputable track record.

Even though the Defender or Defender XT would have the lowest cost per mile, it is not the proper tire for the application and a knowledgeable, professional tire shop would not install it on this car.

I second the Yoko Avid Touring S suggestion. Currently on second set on a Civic, first set got ~68k likely could have stretched a bit longer. Good riding/wearing tire at a value price. As a bonus, the Avid Touring is made in the USA.

As for speed rating, based on my experience with the Civic I'd have not one concern about going with an S or T rated tire on the Accent. First set of Avid Touring suggested and sold by DT were then S rated, and they were excellent, no issues.

Second choice would be General Altimax HP which was the set of tires on the Civic between the Avid Touring/S. Satisfied with HP's too, but they won't get the tread wear that the Avid Touring S will, and more expensive.

I, too, would recommend sticking with the OEM size and speed rating. You never know when a change like that could jump up and bite you. Say you get into an accident and a prosecuting attorney notes that you have tires on your car that don't have the speed rating that the OEM tires did. Is there REALLY a braking difference between most T- and H-rated tires in this size? Not likely. That said, there's little reason in my opinion to open yourself up to that kind of risk.

The General Altimax HP is a good tire here, but do note that it's a directional tire, which means that it limits your tire rotation options somewhat. You cannot cross-rotate them, as is likely recommended in the owner's manual. You can only rotate front-to-back, at least without dismounting the tires.

The Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max is also a good tire, and it's not a directional tire, which means that you can rotate it however you like.

I also like one of the OEM Kumho options, the Solus KH16. It doesn't provide super winter traction, but you have winter rubber for that anyway. And the Solus KH16 is noted to be a quiet and capable touring tire.

Bridgestone/Firestone has some deals now. Potenza G019 Grids and Primewell PZ 900 for 20% off. 3 others for $70 cash back or $100 Firestone service card. Plus another $50 off if finance on Firestone card.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The General Altimax HP would be my choice in that size.

It has the proper speed rating and a very reputable track record.

Even though the Defender or Defender XT would have the lowest cost per mile, it is not the proper tire for the application and a knowledgeable, professional tire shop would not install it on this car.

where are you getting that it requires an H rated tire from?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I, too, would recommend sticking with the OEM size and speed rating. You never know when a change like that could jump up and bite you. Say you get into an accident and a prosecuting attorney notes that you have tires on your car that don't have the speed rating that the OEM tires did. Is there REALLY a braking difference between most T- and H-rated tires in this size? Not likely. That said, there's little reason in my opinion to open yourself up to that kind of risk.

The General Altimax HP is a good tire here, but do note that it's a directional tire, which means that it limits your tire rotation options somewhat. You cannot cross-rotate them, as is likely recommended in the owner's manual. You can only rotate front-to-back, at least without dismounting the tires.

The Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max is also a good tire, and it's not a directional tire, which means that you can rotate it however you like.

I also like one of the OEM Kumho options, the Solus KH16. It doesn't provide super winter traction, but you have winter rubber for that anyway. And the Solus KH16 is noted to be a quiet and capable touring tire.

We arent going with any fuel saver type tires, The car already gets bad mileage for a small car.. she likes her traction in the rain more than the 1-2mpg.

The KH16 are about the worst tire out there once half worn.
I had a set on my 2009 elantra touring, her parents have a set on their 2010, and her car came with them.. They hydroplane badly and have very poor wet traction after 1/2 worn, They also only lasted 25k miles and picked up 5 nails(not exactly the tires fault on that one).

I would step up and hand her the 100$ difference if it comes down to it..

I'm looking for good value-highly rated tires.. not necessarily going to go mail order nokians or get primacy mxv4's though.

I will add the dunlop's and generals to my list.. but pricing them they were within 2$ of one of the 3 I listed in the OP.

now if you tell me the dunlops have a 80 rebate with a goodyear card.. I'd probably get them over the others.. etc.

Last edited:
KH16 while having very good specs is a slightly sportier tire and generally does not return mileage as well as some of the other options here. If traction rating and temp grade and important though, it's a good choice. The same can be said for the Grid G019. It's considered a high performance all season and will generally start trading wet traction for a little more dry.

Based on your comments above about wet traction, the hankooks are not a good choice. They sacrifice wet and all season traction for higher mileage. Wet traction is also lower on the Yoko touring S than others as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
where are you getting that it requires an H rated tire from?

The original equipment tires were/are H-rated tires.

I would defer, however, to the decal in the door jamb. The tire information placard will usually indicate the size and service description of the original tires. The service description consists of the load index (85 or similar) and the speed rating (S, T, H, etc). The original tires were H-rated tires, but if the tire information placard doesn't specifically call out an H speed rating, only then would I suggest moving down to a T-rated tire.

On T-rated tires; can a Hyundai Accent even reach 118mph?

I don't know if it will or won't. I do know that I would never go 118mph in an Accent with (Y)rated tires on the Autobahn or a closed race course. It's a reliable enough subcompact but I do not think the suspension and steering are good for 118mph.

In some EU countries, it is illegal to mount a T-rated tire where an H is specified but I suspect they actually have roadways that one could exceed the tire rating on.

FTR: the Starfires I suggested are H-rated.

The door jamb just specifies tires with no speed rating.
this car also had 175/70r14's on some models.
as well as 15" and 16" optionals.

The A traction rating is straight line wet braking at full tread..

therefore it gets cheated on alot. ie half depth sipes etc.

The KH16 are bad from personal experience. I've had/driven 3 cars with them as oem tires.

They fall directly in the the bottom half of mediocre oem tires.
esp. after 10-15000 miles.

not saying they are worse than primewells. IT could also be the non-oem sizes are better, but I'm buyin an oem size.

I really like the defenders but most likely the price premium is too high. And it will end up being the coopers or h727's

The cooper h-rated is about 5/more a tire.. I actually like the tread pattern on the T-rated tires better.

from Actual driving experience on the h727 and coopers they are much better than the kh16 could ever dream of being.

I hear what you are saying with the long treadlife warranty.. and thats true to an extent.. but they are also not low RR tires either.. which seems to affect wet traction more than longer treadlife rating.

ps thank you for reading my book.

Last edited:
A year and a half ago I talked my b-i-l into buying 4 Hankook H727's. From the begining he complained that they were terrible in wet weather but I pointed out the great ratings in TR's surveys. Yesterday I drove the car when the snow first started and it was sliding all over the place. He has about 32K on the tires and they still look like new but I have to agree with him on the wet/light snow traction being TERRIBLE. This is on a 2004 Corolla with over 200K.
Any ideas why the surveys and his experience are so different?

Originally Posted By: pbm
A year and a half ago I talked my b-i-l into buying 4 Hankook H727's. From the begining he complained that they were terrible in wet weather but I pointed out the great ratings in TR's surveys. Yesterday I drove the car when the snow first started and it was sliding all over the place. He has about 32K on the tires and they still look like new but I have to agree with him on the wet/light snow traction being TERRIBLE. This is on a 2004 Corolla with over 200K.
Any ideas why the surveys and his experience are so different?

Never trust surveys too much. I prefer tests (be it Tirerack, CR or ADAC) where results are measured than opinions without baseline.

It may be that most of surveyors (sp?) were comparing old bald tires to new full depth Hankooks. And they were simply better but still terrible. No way to tell.

Krzys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back