small black particles in new Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was doing an oil change today (at -20C!) and after having poured most of a brand new, sealed 4.4 liter container of Castrol GTX 5W-30 into my car, I happened to look inside the container and noticed that there was a fair amount of small black particles at the bottom of the white plastic container. They range in size from just big enough to see to ~1mm in length. The larger particles are long and thin, very much like 1mm long pieces of human hair. As far as I could tell, they're mostly clinging loosely to the bottom of the container- there don't seem to be many/any particles suspended in the oil.

Has anyone out there ever seen this type of thing in new oil before? Any guesses as what it's likely to be? I called Castrol customer service and asked the same questions and was told to drain the oil and replace it, without even taking a guess as to what it might be. Replacing the oil at this point means an hour walk in -20C weather, which obviously is something I'd rather avoid if this is likely to either be nothing important or something the filter will pick up. I just can't recall seeing this in any of my previous couple hundred oil changes.

Thanks!

Have never seen anything like that and no idea what they would be.
That being said, an hour walk in the cold carrying a new jug of oil, or just use the car with that oil? I would be driving that thing, 100%.

Pictures of the sample bottle please and then post it to Castrol for a rebate, although you might try the shop first. If you don't post pictures we will assume you are selling oil for Mobil or even Amsoil.

I found goo like that in a bottle of pz LL 15w40. Posted pics here forever ago and we decided it was the moly and other adds and a good thing.

Fair enough- I'm trying to figure out how to take a decent digital pic in the bottom of this container, but in the meantime you indirectly touched on something my cynical mind was thinking. Castrol would like me to send the entire bottle back to them for analysis- once it's out of my hands, how will I ever know for sure what was actually in the oil?

Case in point- years ago I found some fluffy white crud in the bottom of a bottle of beer. I sent it back to them , they "sent it to the lab" and concluded "it was nothing to worry about." Well, that's what they _would_ say, isn't it? This is why I'm looking for some unbiased opinions here. I figure if anywhere on the internet would have the answer, it would be here!

I just want to be reasonably assured that I won't wreck my engine by leaving this oil in there.

Last edited:
Just for the record, it was NEW oil right? Sometimes people return used oil for a refund at the customer service desk. I.E Wal-Marts.

Well, this is about the best I can do with my camera, 2 hands, and 3 things to hold. I managed to catch one of the bigger particles - it's circled in red. That is a led flashlight underneath the bottle, so I guess the individual LED gives you an idea of size. Most of the particles are alot smaller than that, and I'm afraid my camera can't pick them up under these circumstances. Maybe I'll have more luck with my wife's camera later on.

edit: maybe someone can suggest a better way for me to attach this image- I'm not sure whether you'll be able to see anything without downloading it and blowing it up...

oil.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Just for the record, it was NEW oil right? Sometimes people return used oil for a refund at the customer service desk. I.E Wal-Marts.

Yes, brand new, seal intact.

Okay.^^ (at least that was ruled out) Unfortunately I cant see anything in that picture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I found goo like that in a bottle of pz LL 15w40. Posted pics here forever ago and we decided it was the moly and other adds and a good thing.

OH NO! Moly?! Skyship, do you have anything to say about this business of MOLY in the OIL?!

I had some gritty/sandy looking stuff in the bottom of a Valvoline 10W40 5 quart jug one time,and a layer of what looked like craked dried mud at the bottom of some Pennzoil Platinum 5W50 quarts.

Originally Posted By: fisher83
GTX is known to have a sodium based add pack like Valvoline, right? Maybe they added pepper to the mix...? :)

33.gif

Originally Posted By: fisher83
GTX is known to have a sodium based add pack like Valvoline, right? Maybe they added pepper to the mix...?
smile.gif

Wouldn't that make it run hot?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I had some gritty/sandy looking stuff in the bottom of a Valvoline 10W40 5 quart jug one time,and a layer of what looked like craked dried mud at the bottom of some Pennzoil Platinum 5W50 quarts.

Ugh...just shake it up I guess.
lol.gif

That was just the mad cleaning powaz of PP eating the bottle material and piling it on the bottom while it waited to be unleashed on the crud in your engine
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: pentode
Well, this is about the best I can do with my camera, 2 hands, and 3 things to hold. I managed to catch one of the bigger particles - it's circled in red. That is a led flashlight underneath the bottle, so I guess the individual LED gives you an idea of size. Most of the particles are alot smaller than that, and I'm afraid my camera can't pick them up under these circumstances. Maybe I'll have more luck with my wife's camera later on.

edit: maybe someone can suggest a better way for me to attach this image- I'm not sure whether you'll be able to see anything without downloading it and blowing it up...

oil.JPG

Looks a bit dark for fresh oil. I'm thinking someone didn't break the seals on a few bottles when they opened them and suddenly thoughts of a free oil change popped into their head.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That was just the mad cleaning powaz of PP eating the bottle material and piling it on the bottom while it waited to be unleashed on the crud in your engine
smirk.gif

Hahahaha!! ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back