Ford 7.3 High pressure oil pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
02 power stroke 7.3 very low mileage with rotella T5 10-30

Does anyone change the oil in the HP oil pump for the injectors ? I was talking with a Ford tec and he said that 3 qts are up in the pump and a regular oil change does not drain that oil. He went on to say that that oil gets very little circulation and ends up pretty dirty and can cause injector problems and or shortened life.

He went on to tell me how to change the oil in the HP pump.

What is anyone's thoughts on this and does anyone do this HP pump oil change with any regularity.

I've changed the HPOP oil in my truck a few times. I have a little hand pump like you put on a quart sized jug to pump that out and I use that to pump out the hpop reservoir. I don't change it every oil change but I will once every couple. I like the idea of changing out all of the used oil that you can. The reservoir itself takes less than 1 quart but you also have about a quart in each of the cylinder head rails so it adds up to about 3 quarts. Changing that oil would be a little more involved though as to get it all, you'd have to remove the valve covers and the drain plugs under there.

That's why you just start it up and then siphon it out again and it should get 90 percent after that which is good enough considering nobody even bothers to ever do this.

Originally Posted By: Durangoboy
02 power stroke 7.3 very low mileage with rotella T5 10-30

Does anyone change the oil in the HP oil pump for the injectors ? I was talking with a Ford tec and he said that 3 qts are up in the pump and a regular oil change does not drain that oil. He went on to say that that oil gets very little circulation and ends up pretty dirty and can cause injector problems and or shortened life.

He went on to tell me how to change the oil in the HP pump.

What is anyone's thoughts on this and does anyone do this HP pump oil change with any regularity.

A fairly hotly debated item on PSD forums is whether or not you should change the HPOP res oil.

Personally in about 300k of driving 7.3 PSDs I have never touched the HPOP oil and never had a problem so if it ain't broke why monkey with it. The LPOP feeds the HPOP res and there is a valve in the HPOP res that keeps it from draining when there is no oil pressure so you don't have to re-prime the system every oil change and engine shut down.

If it makes you feel better go for it but I fail to see the need IMHO.

Is it going to hurt? Probably not.
It is going to help significantly? Progably not.

I presume this would be targeted towards two things:
1) wear reduction
2) HEUI failure avoidance

Why not run some experiments and see for yourself?

First, take a few successive UOAs and find out if your rig is within the typical UOA variation levels; probably is, but you need to check first. Do this while leaving the HPOP buttoned up for the OCIs.

Then run some experiements by siphoning out the HPOP and then taking more samples. To be completely validated and statsitically sound, you'll need 30 OCI samples to develop true averages and sigma levels. Which is why we don't see this done often; most folks don't have the patience and money to do this correctly.

Now - we can look at the huge number of 7.3L PSDs still running fine, and draw some inferences, but not full conclusions. Hence - see my first statements above. Is there conclusive evidence that failures of the HEUI system or excessive engine wear are directly due to not changing oil in the HPOP? Of the units in the field that did fail or have high wear, what conclusive evidence would exist that shows changing the HPOP oil would have saved the engine from that problem? For that matter, we'd have to anaylze if the failure more was directly attributable to the potential shift in volume of "clean" oil now in the HPOP. IOW - because the oil is shared throughout the entire engine, but by differening percent of pressure system, what quanity of failures could either be blamed or pardoned due to HPOP "dirty oil" volume?

When you get right down to it, there is no practical manner to prove such theory, for any common BITOGer. We don't have the money, time, or even variety of vehicles and conditions to prove this one way or another. So it's up to some "bench racing" so-called experts to say yes or no. In that manner, any one opinion is as good (or bad) as another. In short, can anyone who does change their HPOP oil, show conclusive evidence that they reduced wear in a statisically significant manner, or point toward a failure avoided that was otherwise an assurance?

So I stand on my soap box and state this to be emphatically true:
it may or may not help, and even if you experience a failure relating to lube, you'd have no practical way of know if the alternative maintenance program would have saved the failure from happening. We do know that many hundreds of thousands of PSD owners do not change the HPOP oil, and yet see good, long, safe operation.

Do as you see fit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Durangoboy
Three dirty quarts out of my engine at oil change time definitely will make me feel better

Remember you can only get 1 quart out of the HPOP...the other two quarts will be left in the rails. So if getting one more dirty quart of oil out makes you a happy camper...go for it. Just my two cents.

In a properly running 7.3 the HEUI system changes the oil in the HPO system roughly 20 times a minute, if it didnt it would destroy the injectors. I can change the oil in just my crankcase and start the truck and let it run for about a min, then shut it down and open up the HPOP reservoir and the oil is a brand new golden brown. The oil left in the system during a crankcase drain is mostly sheared, after dilution it is fairly negligible. International designed the T444E (7.3) to last a long time, something like a 350k mile half life in our 4700 at work with just crankcase changes, so even with the higher revving and different tuning of the our powerstroke versions I imagine you will be fine without changing the HPOP reservoir for many hundreds of thousands of miles, the key is using good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back