I was lucky, bought tires early

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Continental DWS on E430 was down to 3/32" on 2 tires, 4/32" on 1 and 7-8/32" on 1. The one with 7/32 was replaced a year ago after hitting the curb, it was used as spare to replace the brand new original 13 years old spare.

I went to America's Tire on Cyber Monday to order 4 Kumho Escta 4X to replace in spring, got a receipt that says "Lay Away" without deposit, to take advantage of the $50 instant rebate.
I then decided to replace the tires on last day of December totake advantage of the combined online rebate of $125 from AT and Kumho. AT gave $90 prorate for the 3 DWS's.

Went home and look at rebate forms, the rebate was valid until December 15 only. I mailed the copy of the "Lay Away" along with the receipt I paid for the tires on Dec 31, expected that I may have 50-50 chance of getting either rebate but not both.

Today I received both rebates, $50 Visa Card from AT and $75 Master Card from Kumho.

The extra bonus is the same tire is now $118/ea while I paid $100/ea 5 weeks ago. With all the discounts/rebates and price differential I save about $240.

Not surprising. They considered the date that you "bought" them as the lay-away date. That's the date that you committed to buy the tires.

So how do you like the 4X?

My 530i will need new tires this Spring after I take the snow tires off. I haven't decided yet what to get, but I'll probably take the Bridgestone RE970s since I was fairly happy with the 960s before.

I like it better than Continental DWS on both dry and wet surface, especially on wet highway.

It seems the sidewall is a little stiffer than DWS, lateral acceleration is more confidence and very quiet on highway speed.

I don't know how long it will lasted, either the E430 and S2000 eats tires (especially the rear) like hot cake. I will be happy if Kumho lasted about 25-30k on the E430 and 15-20k on the S2000.

Since I paid around $340 for 4 tires for the S2000 and $230 for E430 (after $90 prorate for DWS), there is no better tires for similar amount.

I think Bridgestone RE970 is better than Kumho 4X, but it would costs a lot more than $340-350 installed.

I have 4Xs on my TSX; mounted September '11. ~36k miles. They have been just ok. They have been super sketchy in the wet for the past 15-20k.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
I have 4Xs on my TSX; mounted September '11. ~36k miles. They have been just ok. They have been super sketchy in the wet for the past 15-20k.

I find that surprising mine have amazing traction in the wet.. more than the stock tires had in the dry.

I also got a good rebate deal(triple rebate) on mine.. If they are unsatisfactory after 20-30k I guess I can just replace them again with something else.

Have you ever had an alignment?
56.gif

Yes, both S2000 and E430 had alignment. But both have negative cambers and toe-in. Below is E430 alignment specs, I need to look up the specs for S2000, I had it but misplace it somewhere.

E430 specs:
Front:
Camber = -0.60deg +/- 0.40deg
Toe-in = 0.20deg or 3.0mm
Rear:
Camber = -1.20deg +/- 0.40deg
Toe-in = 0.35deg or 5.0mm

By having +4 PSI front and +2 PSI rear and regular rotation, the tires are wear out evenly on the E430. The S2000 has stagger tires and rear wears out twice as fast as front.

I must admit I don't entirely understand this convoluted deal, but whatever you did sounds like you made a score. Laying away tires at DT/AT, to take advantage of a rebate then, but waiting to buy to take advantage of another rebate later. Plus a $90 prorate on top of it.
crazy2.gif
How you even thought of all that I have no clue. And, getting both rebates after the submission dealine.

But, not really surprised it was AT that you got the max score, and best price. Good folks there.

As for the DWS, hated them. Worse flat spotting I ever experienced, went back to DT after 30 days.

Congrats on the wheeling and dealing score. And yes, a little lucky too.

my kumho 4x have some slight flatspotting but its not bad.

I'm interested to hear more comments about how they are after 1/2 worn.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I must admit I don't entirely understand this convoluted deal, but whatever you did sounds like you made a score. Laying away tires at DT/AT, to take advantage of a rebate then, but waiting to buy to take advantage of another rebate later. Plus a $90 prorate on top of it.
crazy2.gif
How you even thought of all that I have no clue. And, getting both rebates after the submission deadline.

But, not really surprised it was AT that you got the max score, and best price. Good folks there.

As for the DWS, hated them. Worse flat spotting I ever experienced, went back to DT after 30 days.

Congrats on the wheeling and dealing score. And yes, a little lucky too.

The post titled "I was lucky" is exactly like that. I didn't think of all those sequences, it just happened that way. The main reason I decided to change tire earlier was we expect to have more rain this season than the last several years. 2 of the DWS was at 3/32" and one at 4/32", they are not very safe at highway speed if it's raining.

The reason I found that I save more than I thought possible was my BIL needs tires for his BMW, and it happens to be the same size as my E430. I search for him and found out that on top of all rebates and pro-rate for the DWS, I saved another $72(plus tax) since I bought the tires a month earlier than plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back