How does this block heater work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had one in my 05 Tacoma. V6 had a "cavity" in the engine block that was surrounded by coolant on the other side. Heater heated the walls of the cavity, which, in turn, heated the fluid. I loved it. Very easy to install (under 30 min), do not have to mess with freeze plugs or add coolant. Heater set comes with a packet of dielectric grease to coat the heater cartridge. It prevents dirt from building up in the cavity and helps with heat transfer. Worked just as well a freeze-plug heater in my Isuzu.

The little clip on the side snaps onto the block and holds the cartridge in place. It took longer to route the wire than installing the cartridge. The wire disconnects from the cartridge itself, so install is easier, wire is a regular 3-prong heater wire, so it is very easy to replace, if you need to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rcy
http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails.aspx?CollectionID=25&ProductID=191&SortIndex=14

It's for certain Toyota/Lexus models. The instructions indicate that it does not go in the coolant, but rather into a hole in the block.

Does this make sense? Any pros/cons to this style of heater over one that actually sits in the coolant?

I installed that same one on my 08 Corolla last Fall. Had to order it from Canada though.

It was super easy to install. Took me around 30 minutes. Came with the thermal grease and snapped right into a recess in the engine block.

Works like a champ and helps greatly in -20F.

I think I paid 49 bucks for it online through a Toy dealer.

http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails.aspx?CollectionID=25&ProductID=191&SortIndex=14

It's for certain Toyota/Lexus models. The instructions indicate that it does not go in the coolant, but rather into a hole in the block.

Does this make sense? Any pros/cons to this style of heater over one that actually sits in the coolant?

Yeah, that is called a block heater.

One of the freeze plugs is removed and this installed in its place... and yes this actually sits in the coolant.

Originally Posted By: Paul56

One of the freeze plugs is removed and this installed in its place... and yes this actually sits in the coolant.

It doesn't touch coolant and there is no plug to remove to install this. I just did this not too long ago on a brand new Toyota.

There is a void in the casting of the engine block and it is smooth like a long cylinder. This simply gets greased up with thermal grease and slid into this until it bottoms out and snaps into place. It transfers heat to the aluminum of the engine block.

Not to be rude, but did you actually read my post, or look at the link provided?

Specifically this part from the link - "Does not require removal of any freeze plugs, engine block is ready-made for this accessory."

This particular block heater does not sit in the coolant.

Last edited:

Not to be rude, but did you actually read my post, or look at the link provided?

Specifically this part from the link - "Does not require removal of any freeze plugs, engine block is ready-made for this accessory."

Exactly! It merely heats up the air in the void it sits in and the heat energy is absorbed into the aluminum and spreads around the entire block overnight.

And it works like a champ in the winter in my Corolla!

Oh well, as it turns out, this is not the block heater for my vehicle. I was so hoping that I wouldn't have to drain my coolant. Apparently, the correct part for my vehicle, is the traditional in coolant block heater.

Thanks for the replies.

Now now... no need to get fiesty since it was me who was the goofball here. :)

I would expect a block heater that actually sits in the coolant to be more effective... particularly with the kind of winter temperatures I'm dealing with.

I would expect a block heater that actually sits in the coolant to be more effective... particularly with the kind of winter temperatures I'm dealing with.

Worked great at 30F below up her in AK.

[/quote]

Umm..yeah. Sorry, I was kind of short with my reply.

I would tend to agree with you regarding an immersion type heater to be more effective, but a lot of the responses indicate that the conductive type heater works quite well.

Umm..yeah. Sorry, I was kind of short with my reply.

I would tend to agree with you regarding an immersion type heater to be more effective, but a lot of the responses indicate that the conductive type heater works quite well.
[/quote]

I have the actual product listed and put it in a brand new car. My car saw temps with it installed of -10F frequently with some -20F and even some -25F temps thrown in.

I touched the block in -25F and it was luke-warm, thus, the heater did its job.

These heaters are commnonly put on Toyotas in Canada. In fact, you will seldom find them in the US or any dealers willing to obtain you one. I had to search high and low to find one.

My other car, a 2000 Saturn SL1 4 cylinder has a block heater installed on it and it is factory part. It also is NOT immersed in cooolant and just sits on a clip next to the engine block. It works well in the same temps as above.

Just because the heater is not installed directly into an engine plug doesn't mean it is not effective.

Last edited:

You blew it.
lol.gif
You could have merely said that the two other gentlemen, although totally correct in what they were describing, were mistaken for the type of heater that the OP needed.
lol.gif

I had the style of block heater described in this thread (non-immersed, heater element in a bore, adjacent to coolant passage) installed when we bought our 2010 Prius, in November 2010. It recently shorted out, and I removed it. There's supposedly a special thermal transfer grease applied to the heater element before it's inserted, but when I extracted mine I found the element dry, and very clean.

My first thought was that the dealership-installed block heater never had the grease applied. Or maybe it was, but had baked off over the years?

I purchased a replacement, and installed it myself this time. The grease pack supplied with the block heater is labelled "NSCG silicone grease G-624". I'm thinking to check it in about 6 months, see how it's holding up, and would like to have a tube of the proper grease on hand, just in case it needs replenishment.

To find an appropriate grease, so far I've:

1. Asked dealership parts department (no luck),

2. Posted questions on Amazon (one in particular that seems promising: "SuperLube 91003 3 oz. Tube Silicone Hi-Dielectric & Vacuum Grease"). Someone mentioned that it had been used by GM for a high temp application.

3. Talked to manufacturer of a similar third party block heater (Kats): they recommend to use "SCG silicone grease G-624", but don't supply it with their products, and couldn't give me a source.

4. Attempted to contact Novagard (regarding their "Versilube G-624"); no response so far.

My sense, it's a silicone grease, maybe with additives to help conduct heat better, and it (hopefully...) stays stable in the high temps of a block heater application.

I'd really appreciate ideas, recommendations, a grease that'd work in this case. Or comments on the products mentioned above.

Last edited:
Maybe even:

Napa 7651346 SIL Glyde Silicone Lubricating Compound Tube, 8 oz.

high film strength, stays put and water repellent
Applications: brake pads, calipers, rubber boots, fan belts, v-belts, weather stripping, trunk seals and bumpers
This is a Napa private branding of american grease stick company (ags) sil-glyde sg-8
Chemical Working Temperatures: -20 To 500 Deg. F.

Originally Posted by Mendel_Leisk
My sense, it's a silicone grease, maybe with additives to help conduct heat better, and it (hopefully...) stays stable in the high temps of a block heater application.

I'd really appreciate ideas, recommendations, a grease that'd work in this case. Or comments on the products mentioned above.

NSCG stands for Novagard Silicone Compounds and Grease company. They are now known as Novagard Solutions. They manufacture at least 17 different silicone greases: https://www.novagard.com/versilube/product-list/

You have a specific recommendation to use their Versilube G-624 instead of their other 16 products. The G-661 is their general purpose silicone grease recommended for brake caliper pins and spark plug boots ("maybe" similar to 3M/Superlube/SilGlyde????).

Are you suggesting that you can determine/guess that other off-the-shelf common silicone greases like 3M, SuperLube, or Sil Glyde meet the technical application of the G624?? Impossible.

Order the recommended G-624 or assume the risk that any other product will work. Purchase options: https://www.google.com/search?q=Ver...bJED3QQ_AUIMigA&biw=1920&bih=944

EDIT: Dow Corning DC4 meets the same military spec. MIL-S-8660C/SAE AS-8660 ... another option ... https://www.novagard.com/versilube/g624-offset-replacement-dow-corning-dc4/

https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-...&hvtargid=pla-523961530260&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back