New: Shell Rotella 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The PDS says it is 1.0% ash, which is pretty high to be claiming low SAPS.

There seems to be a difference in what's considered low SAPS between HDEOs and PCMOs. Plenty of PCMOs have ash under 1.0%, low SAPS or not. Most HDEOs advertised as such are at or just below the 1.0% mark.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Oooo. I'd switch over to that if Wal-Mart sold gallons.

Bought 3 individual gallons of RT6 5W40 at WalMart last night for my 5.9 Cummins. 0/40 should be on the shelves soon enough. Cost was $22.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its SN so it will not have the ZZDP levels of T6 5w40 right?

No reason to assume that. They're both 40-weight oils, so they are both allowed the same phosphorous levels.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

No reason to ASSume that. They're both 40-weight oils, so they are both allowed the same phosphorous levels.

Sure. However they are meant to be used with DPF and whatever special diesel exhausts,so I'll bet the additive levels are identical.

Very thin for a HDEO 40-weight.

....I wonder if the thicker 5W-40 will still be made as an option, or is this replacing it?

Hi,
Xstang - Shell's HDEOs are amongst the very best available. It has been this way for well over 60 years. They have a huge Worldwide Commercial Customer base

Any new HDEO product from Shell will continue their tradition

Use it with confidence according to its specification

I used to think that, but one of the new Delvac CJ4 DPF oils had over 1000 ppm of Zinc, so it seems they have found a new way of adding more Zinc without it fouling the exhaust. It would be real good to see a VOA for this new oils content.

Last edited:
CJ-4 ZDDP limits are 1,200PPM, skyship. I also briefly searched for the Delvac you're referring to and found it contained neither more then 1,200PPM of ZDDP, nor API SN certification.

Last edited:
Thanks for that as I thought CJ 4 had a 1000 ppm limit, but for some reason most of the CJ4 oils are just below 1000 ppm. The Delvac had 1130 after 5K miles, so I was thinking it might have had a VOA figure of around 1K and it lists CJ4 in the specs. So I am wrong in thinking there is one of more than 1K ppm listed, as I was looking at a UOA not a VOA by mistake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Specs seems excellent, except the TBN, hope it is low due its strong retaining ability (pure speculation)! NOACK & VI values are not given...

If a gallon can be had around 35bux, I say watch out M1 0W40!

Why "watch out M1 0W40"?
M1 0W40 has a much higher TBN.
Incidentally I pay $32/gal for Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 (TBN 16, VI 172, etc etc.)

Charlie

M1 has a very high Calcium detergent content and if you take the Fe results from a UOA and multiply by the VOA Ca figure divided by 2750 ppm it will give you roughly the new Fe figures, BUT that's just a German housewifes tale. High TBN is only part of a complex story and you should add the Magnesium to the Calcium figure for the new generation full synthetics to be fair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back