bearing noise on Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
When slowing down in my Jeep I hear a noise that sounds like a jet engine winding down. If I use the brake to slow down it seems to amplify the noise. I assume its a front wheel bearing.

sounds like it. also could be tires. jack up the f/e and check for looseness. You can also hear a noisy bearing by spinning the wheel. If its really bad you will be able to feel the difference.

Jack up the front end and in neutral spin both front tires. If its a bearing you will hear it. If you have a stethoscope put that on the wheel hub. Re-torque your lug nuts on each wheel with the majority of the weight off the tire. Check tire pressure and add 2 psi over the sticker on the door. With the car jacked up run your hand over the tread while you spin each wheel and feel for any abnormalities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Cooper Discovery M&S

Those will be fairly loud. They are great tires, and my dad had them on his '99 Grand Cherokee. They made the thing unstoppable in snow, but they were noisy, especially once they had some miles on them.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Donald
Cooper Discovery M&S

Those will be fairly loud. They are great tires, and my dad had them on his '99 Grand Cherokee. They made the thing unstoppable in snow, but they were noisy, especially once they had some miles on them.

+1 They are pretty aggressive tires from a tread standpoint.

a wheel bearing installed will cost more than that. If its any kind of differential and/or final drive issues, its significantly more than that.

Last edited:
Well it turned out to be the rear universal joints. The mechanic said they were "dry". But I supplied him with new Moog greasable u-joints so they were installed.

I forgot to ask if the old ones were greasable or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back