Dumb things people say about cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: tom slick
"GMC trucks are built heavier duty and have thicker sheet metal than a Chevy."

Ooooh, I really like this one. Can just imagine the salesman's self-satisfaction level when the customer swallowed that one!
Saab actually stamped the competition rally versions of their 96's out of heavier sheet metal.

I read somewhere that the Trollhatten made Epsilon chassis 9-3s were substantially stronger in rollovers than their G6/Malibu/Vectra sister cars

Don't know if it's true or just another dumb edition to the dumb things that people say but I would like to believe it is.
Kinda' makes up for the once a year or so that my step-mother's 9-3 just would not start until it got towed into the dealer. Then it started perfectly.

Last edited:
My buddies uncle told me this, "I run synthetic oil and don't have to change it because the molecules keeping getting rounder and rounder as time goes on." I guess the oil is a lifetime fill haha

I had a acquaintance tell me this one. He took his early-90s Chev K2500 with the 350, car shopping. When it came time to discuss trade-in on the truck the salesmen told him it has an oil leak. (A 350 with an oil leak. Never would have guessed!) He told them he knew about that. They went on to tell him they would have to fix it ([censored]), and that since that engine isnt made anymore, parts are hard to come by.
I started laughing hysterically.

berninicaco3 said:
I had a moron at Drippy Lube tell me my Camry didn't have a differential, it had a "transaxle". I asked "how does it go around corners?"

Technically he's right. A tranny and diff together are, in deed, called a transaxle.

another one..."when did you buy that car?" "last week, why" "just make sure you wait 30 days to wax it, the paint is still wet." *****

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
another one..."when did you buy that car?" "last week, why" "just make sure you wait 30 days to wax it, the paint is still wet." *****

I think that may have been true back in the day of lacquer paints--look a long time for the (essentially paint thinner?) to finish evaporating out.

But they haven't used lacquer in a while...

Had a friend of mine tell me his Grand Cherokee with AWD was terrible in the snow. I told him that it might be because of his bald highway tires or original brakes at 120k miles. He disagreed and still to this day drives around in vehicles with bald tires. He will spend thousands modifying the engine, but the tires will be so bald you can't tell what the tread pattern was. He drove around on tires for so long on his truck that one of them actually popped. I refuse to drive with him.

"I will not use Quaker State because I drive a sports car." My GF told me today while at AAP. Her car was a 2005 Mazda 6. I told her that I used it with no problems. She said "Well you have a truck, that's different." So I picked up a quart Pennzoil instead to keep her quiet. Never bothered to tell her that QS and Pennzoil are made by the same company.

Last edited:
I know a mechanic and he worked on my old cars few times on little things and I thought he had decent knowledge about modern cars.

My opinion of him quickly changed after he told me that I should use premium gas in my cars, that required regular gas btw, if I want my catalytic converters to last. I was about 20 then and even then I knew he was speaking out of his behind. I asked him what was his reasoning for it, but he couldn’t come up with one other than "trust me I know what I'm talking about, I've been working on cars when you were in diapers" sort of explanation.

Needless to say I stopped going to his shop after that conversation. This worked out pretty well, as he started charging premium dollar shortly after and many of his clients left and he ended up closing his shop.

Originally Posted By: RobertISaar
i've washed paint off before.... GM had issues with certain colors in the late 80s-late 90s... i believe it had something to do with water based primer not reacting well with the base coat and clear coat?

either way, the clear tends to flake off, then the basecoat soon after, in hilariously large chunks. sometimes you can get the clear and color to come off at the same time, so you don't even expect it.

As you said, that was a result of poor painting methods more than your washing. My mom had a silver '79 Nova,and the paint on the top surfaces really peeled as the years wore on. The trunk had to be repainted twice.

i've washed paint off before.... GM had issues with certain colors in the late 80s-late 90s...

Not just GM.

Originally Posted By: css9450
i've washed paint off before.... GM had issues with certain colors in the late 80s-late 90s...

Not just GM.
I remember the days when I'd see (and still do
frown.gif
) white Chrysler minivans and Chevy trucks and Lumina's with the paint flapping in the wind, literally coming off in sheets LOL.

Another story. Not my story, but I still liked it so much that I remember it to this day.

Lady brought her then fairly new Ford Falcon to her mechanic. "This thing gets terrible gas mileage."

The mechanic checks point gap, dwell, wires, cap, rotor, plugs, air filter, carburetor...everything checks out. He even goes as far as to disconnect the fuel pump from the tank and run a line to a glass jar so he can observe the fuel consumption. The 144 just sips gas at a miserly rate. So he gives it a clean bill of health.

She comes back in later that week still complaining that it's still using too much gas. She insists that she is very easy on the gas pedal. So he decides to take a ride with her to see for himself.

She gets into the car pulls out the choke lever and hangs her pocketbook on it.

Fuel consumption problem solved. Pocketbook storage problem created.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: dwcopple

I think that may have been true back in the day of lacquer paints--look a long time for the (essentially paint thinner?) to finish evaporating out.

But they haven't used lacquer in a while...

When I had my Caddy painted (not with laquer), the guy that painted it told me not to wax it for at least a week to make sure the clearcoat cured completely.

Originally Posted By: Racerjk
Everybody tell me I'm going to wash the paint off my cars. I have to grit my teeth and bite my tongue every time one of my neighbors says that to me. It drives me up the wall! Leave me alone and MYOB!! Your car isn't next either!

I haven't talked to my neighbor in a few weeks due to it being cold. He doesn't come outside much in the winter. I haven't hand washed a car in close to a month due to the weather. First thing out of the neighbors mouth is "It's too cold to wash the car. You're going to wash the paint off that thing. You wash that car every day don't you?"

ARRRGGGGGHHHHH! Has anyone ever successfully washed the paint off a car?? I wish my wife and I had moved to where we have WAY less neighbors than now. She doesn't go outside much so she never has to listen to this [censored]. She also grew up with neighbors all around her unlike me.

I always try to be nice,but I'm about sick of the comments. I guess I'm going to have to resort to washing my vehicles inside the garage with waterless or rinseless washes so I don't have to listen to this mess anymore.

YES-there was a guy in the apt building I lived in NJ who had an 87 Cougar he incessently washed-took the painted pin stripes first, then the paint. It was silver in color

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you want some sadness/ ignorance look at a craigslist ad.

"Needs wheel barons" (Imagine a verbal diagnosis report by a New England mechanic.)

altinator, cadillac convertor, tire thread, all exist in unicorn land.
Grammer and spelling are lost arts with this crew but they ALL know exactly who should be President. Yuuuuup.

Try reading the posts on mazdas247.com. Someone has a raddle in their dash, another unfortunate needs to fix the squeek in his break peddle, and elsewhere a member needs to know how to remove the front bumber.

I look at ebay alot and the spelling is atrocious! One of my favorites is duel exhaust, or duel carbs. As in I challenge you to a duel??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back