Am I Crazy to Replace These Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is used by my wife to cart the kids around. 40,000 miles and 3 1/2 years on the tires. Couple of gouges in the sidewall. Doesn't appear to dig deep into the white underlayer, but still a little concerning. Of bigger concern is the weather cracking around the entire perimeter at the tread/sidewall interface. A tread separation concern?

Leaning towards replacing them with Destination LE2's while I still have some bonus money left over but it kinda kills me since they still have 6 to 7/32nds tread left. Could probably wait until next year's bonus to replace them but also want to make the family car as safe as possible. I'm in Florida so wet traction is the main concern.

What do y'all think? Replace to be safe or give 'em another year?

SIDEWALL GOUGE
IMG_0574a_zps66a6381b.jpg

WEATHER CRACK AROUND PERIMETER
IMG_0577a_zps1195936a.jpg

GENERAL SHABBINESS
IMG_0576a_zps57e55859.jpg

I think if it were me, and this is just me, I would probably leave them until next season like you suggested. The cracking is really not that bad yet, and that gouge is probably not going to get any worse.

I'd keep an eye on them and replace when the weather checking gets worst. I'm not concerned with the sidewalls.

Bill

I am on the fence too. The little cracks don't bother me but the gouge does. Do you have a good tire shop like Discout to give you an opinion. They have always shot straight with me.

They look good. If you pulled them the tire shop would sell them to someone else who could be in the next lane over from you on the highway.

Do you park in a car port? They actually look pretty good as far as not getting UV/ cracks/ etc in the hot sun.

Thanks for the feedback all. Looks like we're leaning towards keeping them. That's my gut feeling too as much as I'd love to put a set of pretty new tires on.

I haven't asked a tire store for their opinion. Not expecting to get an objective answer from them and I trust your opinions as much as I'd trust theirs.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They look good. If you pulled them the tire shop would sell them to someone else who could be in the next lane over from you on the highway.

Do you park in a car port? They actually look pretty good as far as not getting UV/ cracks/ etc in the hot sun.

Yep it's been parked in a garage at home and work since bought. But I'm really disappointed with the cracking, especially given that. My neighbor's '04 Expedition still has the original ContiTracs on it, around 60k miles, and the cracking is no worse than these 3 1/2 year old tires. And they park it outside all day.

Those cracks are fairly minor. I wouldnt give them more than say another year, but it is a good indicator to start saving for new ones.

The chip doesnt look bad, but Id just watch it. Any signs of bubbles in the sidewall or loss of air and Id be swapping them.

Not sure I'd worry about it. My OEM Michelin Primacys were cracked worse than that at 30k and what I gathered was it was no safety issue, just a cosmetic issue as it was mainly on the sidewall. Took the car to FL last summer on those tires and was not worried in the least bit.

I just replaced them Friday at 51k as the tread was 4/32 and they were downright dangerous in the snow. If it were summer I'd juast have run them bald but almost crashing twice the previous snowfall made me want to get rid of them ASAP.

We had a small knick like you show and then a few weeks latter a bubble in our Conti DWS.

Not sure how long my wife drove 70-80MPH(her commute I495) on that tire.

I would check it constantly based on my experience and maybe after 3-6 months sleep well personally.

You might want to dab something like black silicone sealer on the sidewall gouge. Not so much to repair the sidewall but to keep water out of there.

I suspect moisture in between those layers might lead to separation.

I'd wait to do it until you've made a nice long highway run in dry conditions to evacuate some of the moisture so you won't trap much inside.

Last edited:
The chip is only into the while wall which is NOT anything deep.

The real sidewall is under that white wall.

The chip is a non player IMO

They look fairly typical for their age and mileage. The gouge would worry me more than the cracking. but even then it;s only superficial and shouldn't affect remaining tire life.

My Michelins did the cracking thing around 30K. Tire guy said they crack because of where thicker tread goes to thinner sidewall. He showed me some trade-ins, all had same cracking.
Sidewall nick, to me not that bad to worry about.

Great feedback guys, thanks so much. This site is awesome - only 1 response so far on the Explorer forums....

Originally Posted By: suspiciousmind
You might want to dab something like black silicone sealer on the sidewall gouge. Not so much to repair the sidewall but to keep water out of there.

I suspect moisture in between those layers might lead to separation.

I'd wait to do it until you've made a nice long highway run in dry conditions to evacuate some of the moisture so you won't trap much inside.

Great idea, I will do that. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Those cracks are fairly minor. I wouldnt give them more than say another year, but it is a good indicator to start saving for new ones.

The chip doesnt look bad, but Id just watch it. Any signs of bubbles in the sidewall or loss of air and Id be swapping them.

This would be my answer, too. The original BFGs on our Mountaineer were much worse than those with respect to the cracking, and I never had a problem with them right down to the wearbars. Now, if they start to crack right above the bead area then you should look to replace them sooner than later. The chip is just cosmetic, but it's still a good idea to monitor it.

Are the tires more than standard load? If so, the sidewall chip is even less of a concern with the extra sidewall plies.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Are the tires more than standard load? If so, the sidewall chip is even less of a concern with the extra sidewall plies.

No I think they're the 104 LI tires listed as replacements for the Explorer on tirerack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back