Harbor freight aluminum jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Was helping a friend today with some car work, and he had gotten a 1.5 ton aluminum HF jack.

As everyone knows, I'm not a fan of made in China when an easily sourced option can be found and bought. HF perpetuates the theft of us manufacturing jobs and putting workers on to unemployment payrolls that we must then pay.

Still, people buy from there, and they do have some things that are half decent.

I have to say, this jack is a nice looking jack.

Now, the handle comes in two parts. The spring loaded button that locks the two parts together was so poorly made that it didn't work, so we had to remove it and fix the steel so that it had any action at all.,

The jack was coated in grease in a few spots, very messy.

But it is far sturdier than the little 1.5 ton mini trolley jacks that most places sell cheap, and it is super light. While I'm sure the bigger models are even sturdier and more capable, the lightness of this was impressive. The finish of the jack was also great, very nicely done. I think the price was $59 on a coupon.

I have my doubts about its rating. We were trying to lift the front of a 3200-3500ish lb car up, both wheels at once. The jack strained and I was uncomfortable pushing it anymore to actually get the wheels off of the ground. I ended up lugging out my hefty hein Warner 2 ton from my trunk that lifted it with ease.

Doing only one corner of a car made it an easy task. The jack is low slung, pumps easy, etc. not bad.

But I do think that it can't maintain it's height for very long, and slowly sinks. So that is a concern. My hein Warner never sags under weight.

But it's portability is awesome if its reliability is sound.

Is there a made in USA equivalent?

Is it possible to refit a jack like this with a higher quality piston that can actually handle and support its rated weight? Or are these meant to be throw away when the hydraulics fail?

I've been looking for a good price on a USA made low profile 2 ton jack for my lowered cars forever, haven't found a price I like yet.

Does aluminum really make that much of a difference weight wise? For some reason I ahve never trusted aluminum lift or load bearing devices.

Last edited:
Quote:
Does aluminum really make that much of a difference weight wise? For some reason I have never trusted aluminum lift or load bearing devices.

Have you ever flown on an airplane? The airframe and landing gear struts on commercial aircraft are all aluminum. Its plenty strong and the weight difference is pretty significant.

Originally Posted By: Darren270
Quote:
Does aluminum really make that much of a difference weight wise? For some reason I have never trusted aluminum lift or load bearing devices.

Have you ever flown on an airplane? The airframe and landing gear struts on commercial aircraft are all aluminum. Its plenty strong and the weight difference is pretty significant.
I have infinitly more confidence in aircarft engineering than floor jack engineerin.:)

Quote:
I have infinitly more confidence in aircarft engineering than floor jack engineerin.:)

Hahaha...Fair enough!
laugh.gif

Aluminum can be great, just make sure it has some kind of rating or just buy a steel jack of your choosing, How much is a crushed hand or head worth? Life is a choice.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Aluminum can be great, just make sure it has some kind of rating or just buy a steel jack of your choosing, How much is a crushed hand or head worth? Life is a choice.

I wouldn't trust a made in USA jack alone to hold up a vehicle. Any time I'm under a vehicle, I always have the vehicle supported on a jack stand, with a jack in place to catch it if the jack fails, then I pile up wheels if both of those fail.

Originally Posted By: 3311
Does aluminum really make that much of a difference weight wise? For some reason I ahve never trusted aluminum lift or load bearing devices.

That "1.5 Ton" jack has to be half or even less weight than my Hein Warner 2 ton, which is all cast iron or some other kind of steel. You can easily swing that 1.5 ton jack over your head (if you wanted to) with one arm, whereas the H-W jack is unwieldy with a two-arm lift at wasit level.

Ill bet 50+ lbs different.

As for not trusting it, one should never go under a vehicle lifted by a floor jack to held by hydraulics alone. The vehicle should always be secured and stable.

I personally dont worry about secondary or ternary protections if all Im doing is pulling a wheel and replacing it quickly, never underneath or in the wheelwell area, which is what we were doing yesterday. But my H-W jack is trustworthy. This one did sag under weight, and if that was the case, Id probably at least try to have a piece of 8x8 lumber underneath of a sturdy point.

But if going under, lifting high enough to get a jackstand or some other heavy weight bearing and stable item under there is all that it takes. Never go under or trust a jack.

What gets me is how brittle aluminum is. If the concrete is rough when the little metal wheels roll forward as the thing is jacking up, that vibration is being transferred to the jack frame.

That said I haven't used one of these jacks. Its light weight would be good for racing or even for a "better" trunk jack one doesn't use every day.

A friend uses his HF alum jack every day in his car restoration business for the 6 years I have known him and it performs graet.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That "1.5 Ton" jack has to be half or even less weight than my Hein Warner 2 ton, which is all cast iron or some other kind of steel. You can easily swing that 1.5 ton jack over your head (if you wanted to) with one arm, whereas the H-W jack is unwieldy with a two-arm lift at wasit level.

Ill bet 50+ lbs different.

As for not trusting it, one should never go under a vehicle lifted by a floor jack to held by hydraulics alone. The vehicle should always be secured and stable.

I personally dont worry about secondary or ternary protections if all Im doing is pulling a wheel and replacing it quickly, never underneath or in the wheelwell area, which is what we were doing yesterday. But my H-W jack is trustworthy. This one did sag under weight, and if that was the case, Id probably at least try to have a piece of 8x8 lumber underneath of a sturdy point.

But if going under, lifting high enough to get a jackstand or some other heavy weight bearing and stable item under there is all that it takes. Never go under or trust a jack.

That's good to know about the weight difference, that is quit bit.

Thanks for the tip about not getting under a vehicle only supported by a jack. I never heard that before.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
A friend uses his HF alum jack every day in his car restoration business for the 6 years I have known him and it performs graet.
Thats good to hear. I'm thinking about picking up a floor jack. I have a forklift I use but that is kind of a pain in the [censored] actually.

Meh, I just use a 2"x12"x12', a cinder block, and my 2nd cousin JoeBubba on the other end. I just give him a box of donuts to keep him sitting long enough for me to git 'r dun...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
What gets me is how brittle aluminum is. If the concrete is rough when the little metal wheels roll forward as the thing is jacking up, that vibration is being transferred to the jack frame.

That said I haven't used one of these jacks. Its light weight would be good for racing or even for a "better" trunk jack one doesn't use every day.

Vibration??? How fast do you think the jack is moving when lifting the car?

We used it on asphalt, and it wasnt really smooth. It rolled along well enough I guess. The turning wheels are pretty small though.

My metal jack wheels have been known to chip the end of my concrete lip where my garage meets the dirt drive.

I've in the past been stuck on dirt, where a pebble catches a jack wheel and the jack angle would rather fold over the rocker pinch weld than pull the wheel over the pebble.

Anyway I slam my jacks around, I'm probably not a good candidate for aluminum.
laugh.gif

I went over and borrowed this jack one night this week to do a snow tire swap. My steel jack was ticked deep away and I was doing this after work with waning daylight.

The jack is kept in a garage, and not outdoors. I'm pretty well aware of what it gets used for since we talk projects.

Found this:

E96D58C1-5A97-4A22-A4FD-503CFFCB0792_zpsgwqlosgf.jpg

156F6899-CC81-483F-BFB7-20F0EE412F37_zpsem4huse9.jpg

0C457ACD-FDBF-4199-8679-F1072C15CF37_zpsbve4oaty.jpg

B6EFA540-301C-411E-971C-79357EAEE031_zpsemfydwub.jpg

When I tried to lift my accord from the rear tow hook center jack point, it couldn't do it. Made some gurgling sounds. Worked ok on one quarter each time. Don't think it's long for the world and don't want to break someone else's thing.

Anyone know of a US made equivalent of this, maybe a little longer? The low weight makes it oh so handy.

How many folks have been crushed using a plastic ramp?

Originally Posted By: jcwit

How many folks have been crushed using a plastic ramp?

Though its unrelated to this thread, do tell.

At 34 lbs this thing is handy if it could be trusted. I prefer ramps however, I just wish mine were nestible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back