I'm not happy with these tires. (pic included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I bought 4 brand new Falken tires for my truck. I got them from America's tire and out the door they were $1000.00. They have about 8000 miles on them.

I use the truck to take prospecting stuff, ATV's Etc out into the desert, far away from people. These tires and the BFG's have a 3 ply sidewall and I felt that I needed a HD sidewall to cope with the sharp rocks and cactus spines that ruin skinny sidewalls.

I got these instead of the BFG's because they were $200 cheaper. Looks like my trying to save cost me more.
mad.gif

All 4 of these tires are cracking and splitting between the tread blocks. I stopped at America's tire yesterday and they said that this was common on these tires and not to worry about it.

But I am worried. If this was just a go to the dump truck I'd not worry but being 50 miles from anywhere with no cell service on cracked tires has me concerned.

Here is a pic. The crack is about 1.50 inches long.

0202131104.jpg

Thoughts?

Discount Tire gave me a free replacement tire one time because I hit a curb and ended up with a bubbled sidewall. They didn`t have a Kumho replacement,so they gave me a Falken. TOTAL piece of junk tire imo. It has a ton of road noise,rides rough,etc. I`d NEVER buy Falkens!

Last edited:
The warranty should cover premature weather cracking. Have you read it carefully? For a work truck I wouldn't be concerned. Just carry a full size spare and a good hydraulic jack with you. Assuming you're physically capable of changing a tire in the desert. Now on my family suv that my wife drives, I am concerned with the cracking on those tires and the possibility of her getting a blowout with the kids inside.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Discount Tire gave me a free replacement tire one time because I hit a curb and ended up with a bubbled sidewall. They didn`t have a Kumho replacement,so they gave me a Falken. TOTAL piece of junk tire imo. It has a ton of road noise,rides rough,etc. I`d NEVER buy Falkens!
These are actully very quiet and seem to handle ok on pavement. are a little squirrely on dirt but nothing I cant handle.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
It almost looks like a puncture from road debris than cracking. I'm no expert though.
I thought so too but every tire is doing it. I cant see every tire getting damaged in the same place.

It may look worse to be because it's so zoomed in, but I am sorta thinking that crack is not too big... ???

I dunno, I have seen stuff like that occasionally on my tires, never have a problem with them. Usually not at just 1 year though, usually after a few years.

I have those exact same Falkens on my Ram. So far I've put about 7k miles on them (off-road, highway-city usage) and they still look new (no cracks). I also have to disagree with another poster...I think the ride is smooth and quiet.

Regardless, cracking like that on all 4 tires...the tire shop should have been a little more concerned than just "Oh they do that. Its ok."...I'd raise some [censored]!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why don't you contact America's Tire, they may replace these tires with minimum cost to you.
Originally Posted By: Chris142

All 4 of these tires are cracking and splitting between the tread blocks. I stopped at America's tire yesterday and they said that this was common on these tires and not to worry about it.

I guess I'll go to a 2nd store thats way out of my way and see how they handle it.

I'm sorry I missed that.

My local America's Tire is very good in term of customer services.
I bought tires from DTD, had it installed by WM, they put on 2 tires then they found that didn't have stick on balance at that time, so I went to AT to install the last 2 tires and balance the 2 WM installed.

For some reasons they forgot to enter the mileage at that time, 6 months later I went there for rotation and the mileage was entered into the system for the first time.

Forward to 2 months ago, the tread went down to 3/32" and they gave me some prorate even I didn't buy these tires from them and no document show mileage when first installed.

For this reason, I think AT should replace your tires at minimum cost to you. If the first AT store didn't then try another. Good luck.

Also, get a CB with a good antenna. If you do break down 50 miles from no where scan through all the channels for a local active channel and ask for help. If you can't raise a response in the day time, turn it off to save the battery and wait for night. A CB will reach out hundreds of miles at night. Channel 19 is the common channel for truckers, so try that one first if you can't find any local active channels.

If you don't have the room in the dash or under the dash, get an emergency help CB that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Last edited:
$1000 buck for 4 tires! (glad there is no inflation
37.gif
)

I'd get those replaced personally. They will only get worst and up where you are at it does not exactly stay in the low 70s all year around. (have had family members live there (and Lucerne Valley for decades)

Go back to the place you bought them and get another set. If those do the same thing I'd go with a different setup.

Bill

PS: And I was ticked I payed out $600 for my 4 tires on my truck.. Actually still am...

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Also, get a CB with a good antenna. If you do break down 50 miles from no where scan through all the channels for a local active channel and ask for help. If you can't raise a response in the day time, turn it off to save the battery and wait for night. A CB will reach out hundreds of miles at night. Channel 19 is the common channel for truckers, so try that one first if you can't find any local active channels.

If you don't have the room in the dash or under the dash, get an emergency help CB that plugs into the cigarette lighter.
Already got that and I'm putting out about 400 * the legal power limitr

I would email your pic and info to Falken and see what they say. Just a guess, but I'm doubting they'll say not to worry about it. You could also try emailing it to AT.

Also, what are the date codes on the tires?

If they say it is a problem, print out the email and take it back to AT for your warranty replacements.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I would email your pic and info to Falken and see what they say. Just a guess, but I'm doubting they'll say not to worry about it. You could also try emailing it to AT.

Also, what are the date codes on the tires?

If they say it is a problem, print out the email and take it back to AT for your warranty replacements.

Do this ^^^^^ no one in their right mind will take responsibility for the 'good' condition of these tires-----in writing I sure as heck wouldn't too much of a liability vs replacing them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back