10W30 in Air Compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys Ive been using 10W30 in my 60 gallon air compressor for a while now. Wondering if anybody else does this?? Thinking about switching it to a 15W40 because Ive got a bunch of it

No never would just run top notch compressor fluid I run Amsoil PCK ISO 100 fluid this is for my 7.5HP 80 Gal compressor.

Is the compressor fluid synthetic?

Most in the big box stores are not. Like said Amsoil PCK I think is one of the best.

My Quincy calls for SAE40 compressor oil. I put amsoil SAE30/40 oil in it and it won't start when it's cold out. I'd like to go to a 0wxxor 5wxx oil but it has all kinds of warnings about not using car oil in it.

I've been running 30w hdeo in my 5hp 60 gal compressor for many years. Had the thing for 20 years now. No problems. Mine calls for 30 or 40 non detergent but it's not easy to find.

Thats what I figured. oil is oil. For an air compressor any 30wt would be fine. Like I said, ive been using supertech in mine for a while now. No problems

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My Quincy calls for SAE40 compressor oil. I put amsoil SAE30/40 oil in it and it won't start when it's cold out. I'd like to go to a 0wxxor 5wxx oil but it has all kinds of warnings about not using car oil in it.

How cold is cold mine runs and starts up fine at temps well below 20F running Amsoil PCK dont think oil is the problem.

I've seen manuals call for both M1 10w-30 and genuine ISO 68 air compressor oil, all in the same manual for the same compressor. These products are decidedly not identical. So, your guess is as good as mine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: Chris142

How cold is cold mine runs and starts up fine at temps well below 20F running Amsoil PCK dont think oil is the problem.
Anything below about 40F. One night it was 10F then it warmed up to 33F and it would not start. It smoked the belt instead.

Most common lubricants have pour points around the -30 to -40ºF mark. The cheaper they are - the more wax content that is in them - and the higher the chance your compressor won't crank in the cold.

I wouldn't recommend an automotive oil in your air compressor. Air compressor lubricants have their additive packages formulated for the needs of air compressors. Not only that - but automotive lubricants are usually lower grade.

There are tons of great air compressor fluids on the market. If your compressor is kind of old and you've been running cheap fluid in it - I'd suggest a diester base since it will help dissolve deposits a little more readily than a standard refined mineral oil fluid will. Don't be afraid to get a gallon of boutique oil - it will last for quite some time and give you superior performance from your equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back