Motul 300V Trophy 0w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent some Motul 300V Trophy 0w40 oil for a VOA. You can see the results here.

Moly and Silicone are high, but everything else is pretty normal. Not too much Calcium. I'll be doing a UOA at my next oil change to see how it holds up.

MI/HR on Oil
UNIT / LOCATION AVERAGES
MI/HR on Unit 135,000
Sample Date 01/23/13
Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ALUMINUM 0
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 0
COPPER 0
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 656
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 17
SILICON 12
SODIUM 5
CALCIUM 2418
MAGNESIUM 9
PHOSPHORUS 975
ZINC 1121
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 68.8 65-75
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 12.63 11.6-14.5
Flashpoint in °F 440 >410
Fuel % - Antifreeze % - 0.0
Water % 0.0 Insolubles % 0.0 TBN 7.5 >1.0
TAN
ISO Code

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Does this mean M1 0w-40 has a viable competitor?

I would say no since 300V doesn't have any manufacturer, API, or ACEA approvals/certfications.

Thanks for doing this. I was going to do a voa as well but got lazy. Maybe I'll send one in to OAI anyway just for a comparison.

-Dennis

MOTUL-012313.jpg

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

I would say no since 300V doesn't have any manufacturer, API, or ACEA approvals/certfications.

Thanks for doing this. I was going to do a voa as well but got lazy. Maybe I'll send one in to OAI anyway just for a comparison.

-Dennis

You're quite welcome, and yes, any comparison would be great. I'm still trying to decide if I'd like to continue on with this oil or switch to PU. Motul's pretty pricey, though 0w40 PU isn't too cheap either, and it's not that easy to find.

Quattro Pete,thanks for getting the report to show. How do you do that?

Also, being new to OAs, how can you tell that it isn't too much thicker than a 30 weight?

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Barely over a 30wt.

Moly similar to Redline.

Interesting.

But, but, but, the Liqui-Moly salesman from Germany said that moly is not supposed to be there in top of the line oils????????

Interesting because Blackstone puts the range @ 11.6-14.5

OK...I see on the report the ("values should be" column), which I thought gave the range for a 40 weight oil, but now after reading that this is for my individual sample, I'm thinking that this is just a plus or minus range for my sample. So, the actual viscosity is somewhere between these values. Do they give which percentage confidence interval this is (95%, 90%, etc.)

Am I reading this correctly?

Last edited:

No. Compare the cost of this vs. M1 sale price.

Thanks for posting this. The following is the Motul PDS:

http://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/51786/300V%20Trophy%200W-40%20(GB).pdf?1329125458

The BlackStone 12.63cSt KV100 value is considerably lower than the 13.6cSt spec' that Motul have published. I would bring this to B'Stone's attention and ask that they retest. It's too bad that you didn't request a KV40 test as well as this would tell us if that figure is off as well. If the Motul KV40 spec' is correct and the B'Stone KV100 stands then the VI of this oil is only 167.
BTW we found the same problem when pdarm had the Sustina 0W-50 tested by B'Stone. See below:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2816079#Post2816079

Anyway, I do like the high moly and phosphorus levels of this oil.
If the B'Stone KV100 spec' turns out to be incorrect and the Motul spec' is indeed correct then yes I would prefer this oil to M1 0W-40, is it wasn't for the high price.
If B'Stone is correct then Motul has some explaining to do.

Good thread. Please followup with Blackstone -- perhaps they have enough left to retest KV@100 and do the KV@40.

I would also give Joey @ Motul USA a call and ask about this.

Originally Posted By: wally21
Interesting because Blackstone puts the range @ 11.6-14.5

Yes, Blackstone seems to have a bigger fudge-factor on oil weights. As CATERHAM mentioned, my 0w50 came back as a 0w40 but Blackstone said "nah that's still a 0w50, they sometimes run a bit thin"...which doesn't make sense iMO.

OK. I had them retest.

The KV100 value came up to 13.197. Maybe this is the actual value, or maybe it is even higher?

KV40 read 77.253

MOTUL-012313%2520v2.jpg

Last edited:
13.2 vs 13.6 and 77.3 vs 75.7 are about 10% off. Not that bad. I would say the spec sheet is pretty close.

Those give a VI of 174.

We're obsessing over numbers. Let's see how it does in service.

174 is not too bad a V.I., but i wish it were higher.

I forgot what Joey claimed was the spec V.I., but if I remember correctly, the claimed/spec HTHSV was 3.9

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
174 is not too bad a V.I., but i wish it were higher.

I forgot what Joey claimed was the spec V.I., but if I remember correctly, the claimed/spec HTHSV was 3.9

Correct. Spec sheet claims 186 VI and 3.9 HTHSV.

But like I said, those are just numbers. Try it and see how it performs in service. I suspect it will do quite well.

I will be doing a UOA after I put 3-5k on the oil. I'm just over 2k now.

I have no complaints so far with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back