question about ester

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Refrigeration esters come in two flavors: a glycol ether ester or a polyol ester.

Neither one has the proper amount or type of additives to use as an additive in engine or gear lubricants.

Viscosity ranges from about 5 cSt to about 12 cSt.

Typical listed viscosity is usually at 100ºC, right? Would A/C oil ever experience that high a temperature?

And don't PAG oils have serious compatibility problems with mineral oils?

Those are the "tested" viscosites at 100 C and yes underhood temps can get to 300 F.

Right, PEGS, PAGS, di-ester and polyol esters don't play together well.

That's a TMP or dipentaerythritol (POE) ester of about 30 weight or 12 cSt. Normally runs about $35/Qt or more.

Still wouldn't try to mix it or use it as an additive.

ok...i figured it was different from other esters. but i hear you guys talk about ester being good and remembered seeing ester on the can. maybe i can think of another ridiculous question to ask later

That's OK>

Mix it with ATF about 50/50 and you'll have a great rust buster and general lube for the shop.

It was a worthwhile question, especially when you have folks like MolaKule to give you a definite answer.

If you are looking for an ester additive you could add some high ester oil like Redline to your mix (not sure MolaKule approves of this, but many have tried it, including me). There should be a number of threads addressing such a mix as well as some UOAs, including one where the guy runs a quart of Redline with the rest Mobil 1.

alright, so i work at an advance auto parts and was looking a bottle of ester oil for r134a a/c systems the other day. is this the same ester found in motor oil and would it work as an additive? if i remember correctly the viscosity is something like 500 at 100 degrees. i could be way off though. ill post exact numbers after i get off work tonight. would it work or is there too much other stuff in there specifically for a/c systems?

Refrigeration esters come in two flavors: a glycol ether ester or a polyol ester.

Neither one has the proper amount or type of additives to use as an additive in engine or gear lubricants.

Viscosity ranges from about 5 cSt to about 12 cSt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back