Wheel cleaner: are they really worth the money??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bought many brands of wheel cleaner over the years, and none of them seem to work well. None has ever been just spray and rinse. have to clean the wheels with a brush usually.

Is there a brand that works or are most a waste of money?

you should check out Sonax wheel cleaner. works well and not much scrubbing is needed. the key is to let it dwell for a bit.

Last edited:
There is no wheel cleaner that doesn't require some sort of agitation.

The only real difference among cleaners is whether or not they're harmful to the finish (especially chrome or unfinished aluminum). Sonax, as matrass mentioned, is very mild but still very effective.

I'm curious if there are any adverse effects to the environment with wheel cleaner products. The last time I looked at a bottle it had bromine componds in it. Or am I needlessly concerned?

I mention this because as a bunch, we seem to be concerned with coolant and used oil dumped on the ground. Wheel cleaner is another chemical that is dumped on the ground.

I rarely use wheel cleaners as soap usually cleans well enough. I used to use Eagle One a lot....until it ruined the clear coat on my wheels. Now less is best - use it only on real dirty wheels and keep your wheels waxed.

With that in mind, you would be surprised how well Windex and Spray-9 work.

50/50 Purple Power and Water.

5qt jug of Purple Power is $6 at walmart

Ends up being equivilant to 16 20oz bottles of Mother wheel cleaner for $6.

Works perfect.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439

Works perfect.

well i happen to have a bottle that is 50/50 right now. i use it to clean engines.

Sure it won't mess up aluminum wheels?

All wheel cleaners require agitation, including the very expensive Sonax. Even acidic cleaners, the best for cleaning but not safe on all finishes, need some agitation. There are two that I recommend: Eagle One and my new favorite Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner. The Griot's will turn reddish like Sonax when it comes in contact with metallic brake dust but is a lot cheaper if you buy a gallon for $40 from Advanced Auto with the 20% coupon. Also, it is safe on all finishes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Capa
All wheel cleaners require agitation, including the very expensive Sonax. Even acidic cleaners, the best for cleaning but not safe on all finishes, need some agitation. There are two that I recommend: Eagle One and my new favorite Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner. The Griot's will turn reddish like Sonax when it comes in contact with metallic brake dust but is a lot cheaper if you buy a gallon for $40 from Advanced Auto with the 20% coupon. Also, it is safe on all finishes.

Even though my wheels are kept clean by frequent washings with plain soap and water....when I need to use a wheel cleaner, Griot's is what I use. It's a nice safe product.

Sonax works with very little agitation. I have heard flash royal brown is good, but have not used it. Griots heavy duty is good, much powerful than Griots wheel cleaner (regular)

Originally Posted By: WhyMe

Works perfect.

well i happen to have a bottle that is 50/50 right now. i use it to clean engines.

I've been using 50 % Purple on Borbet (German) alloy wheels for years. They are well painted. Be sure to rinse it well.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe

Works perfect.

On uncoated or polished aluminum i would dilute it to 4:1. But the 50/50 even works well on plastidip too.

Quote:
#N21 MAG WHEEL PLUS

Mag Wheel Plus is a powerful and highly effective formula that removes baked on brake dust and road grime without scrubbing. It's safe on most factory wheels and all coated wheels but is too aggressive for uncoated aluminum. This is the ideal formula for wheels with hard to reach crevices and grooves. Just spray it on and hose it off. (Gals. - 4 per case, 5s, 32s, 55s)
Note: Mag Wheel Plus contains Ammonium Hydrogendifluoride as the active ingredient and should be treated as an acid product.

http://www.pssales.com/news.html

P&S makes pretty good chemicals from my limited experience, but I have not tried their wheel cleaner. It sounds like this product may be strong enough for you.

I will typically use the soapy water from the wash after I am done with the car. For jobs that are really tough I use Zep Orange degreaser. Works wonders and can be diluted. I put it in a spray pump and soak the tires/wheels while I am drying the car then scrub them down.

+1 on Sonax, used it before and works wonders. With the amount of cars I do it was too much $$ for my budget...

I've found Mothers with the acid to work very well. Only thing I use. I may have to use a brush here-or-there but only on the fronts.

Never heard of Sonax...interesting.

Makes me kind of regret buying clearcoat aluminum wheels. alot of products are too abrasive or acidic for the finish. I have tried many products. most dont clean well without agitation. This year im going to give the wheels a couple coats of good wax, and continue to use armor all wheel protectant after cleaning wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back