Jump Packs/Starters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 3311
I built a 150' set of jumper cables as part of very large battery pack we made for a customer last year to jump start tanks, apc's, trucks etc... coming back from Iraq on ships. I used in these from Napa in conjuntion with NATO plugs and they were very good clamps.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7825268_0006384240

I wonder how many of these vehicles burned out their alternators trying to charge up a dead battery.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I just keep jumper cables in the car and I don't worry about it. Then again, I have a voltmeter gauge in my dash.

In reality that is the best answer.

In most cases you use the cables for someone else, not yourself.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I built a 150' set of jumper cables as part of very large battery pack we made for a customer last year to jump start tanks, apc's, trucks etc... coming back from Iraq on ships. I used in these from Napa in conjuntion with NATO plugs and they were very good clamps.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7825268_0006384240

I wonder how many of these vehicles burned out their alternators trying to charge up a dead battery.
Read the post you quoted. The cables were part of an industrial battery booster pack I built. The only alternator involved is the jumpstarted vehicle/equipment. There was no 150' vehcle to vehicle connections, alough it could be done, they are 24 volt systems so voltage drop is somwhat less of an issue.

Read the post you quoted. The cables were part of an industrial battery booster pack I built. The only alternator involved is the jumpstarted vehicle/equipment. There was no 150' vehcle to vehicle connections, alough it could be done, they are 24 volt systems so voltage drop is somwhat less of an issue.

My point was an alternator should not be used to recharge a dead battery only to keep it charged. So once the vehicle was started, it would try and recharge the dead battery, which would take awhile and its not designed to do, at least not on normal cars and trucks.

My point was an alternator should not be used to recharge a dead battery only to keep it charged. So once the vehicle was started, it would try and recharge the dead battery, which would take awhile and its not designed to do, at least not on normal cars and trucks.
cheers3.gif
They don't care about alternators in this application. They just want to get the ship unloaded. It's a bit of demolition derby from what I understand.

Any truth to giving a jump start being bad for electonics, alternators and such on modern cars? I know people who refuse to give a jumpstart.

Originally Posted By: coolbird101
Any truth to giving a jump start being bad for electonics, alternators and such on modern cars? I know people who refuse to give a jumpstart.

Given its DC and each vehicle has a battery to act as a voltage sink, I do not think you are going to get any kind of a voltage spike, it may go from 10V to 14V, but there is no way it can go past around 14V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back