New OCI VQ30 and Napa Gold 1182

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always changed my dino oil at 3K in my maxima. I will be switching to a MUCH larger filter next OC, and am thinking about extending my OCI.
NAPA11821_zps82404b21.jpg

1182b_zpsa1732d8b.jpg

I drive to work five days a week 46 miles round trip. I plan to make my OCI 6 Months/5,500 Miles. I currently am running ST 5W30 but will be running Castrol GTX next OC. Doubling my OCI, I am willing to pay a little more ($18.00/5qt) for Castrol, QS, Havo/Valvo, etc.

Thoughts, comments?

Carry on! All those lubes mentioned will get you there nicely. I really like what I have seen from the Mobil Super 5k, I think that is around the price range for you at Wallymart. Either way choose what you like.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Carry on! All those lubes mentioned will get you there nicely. I really like what I have seen from the Mobil Super 5k, I think that is around the price range for you at Wallymart. Either way choose what you like.

+1 Mobil super is only 85 cents more per 5qt jug than ST at my walmart.

I saw the Mobil (super) 5000 at Buy Mart where I picked up the Castrol. I thought about it, but went with my old favorite instead.

So does 6mos/5,500Mi Dino sound ok for a car that gets ~50 highway miles a day?
PS, I figure the filter should be OK for another .5-.75 Quart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Maxima97
I would use synthetic for vq30. Doing 7.5k oci.

The weather here is not so extreme here to warrant syn. Winters seldom drop to the high 20s, and summer might hit low 90s, but very rarely. I love my car, but a 17 year old Maxima is not worth the price of synthetic either.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Thats a BIG filter! Go for a 5k OCI on conventional

Are you sure that filter won't affect volume or flow and is the by-pass set the same?
Anyways moving on
You should be fine using gtx at that interval all highway. You will be changing your oil every 3 1/2 months though if that matters to you.
If you'd rather spend less time under the car you can use a syn and lengthen the oci.
Post pics from inside the oil fill cap. We can see if gtx changes anything.
Please

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Thats a BIG filter! Go for a 5k OCI on conventional

You will be changing your oil every 3 1/2 months though if that matters to you.

46miles x 5days a week x 4 weeks a month = 920 Miles.
5,500 Miles / 920 = 5.978 Months.

Post pics from inside the oil fill cap. We can see if gtx changes anything.
Please

When I replaced my valve cover gaskets the heads had a golden brown varnish, no sludge whatsoever.

Are you sure that filter won't affect volume or flow and is the by-pass set the same?

It is lower flow, but should still be well above the flow rate of the oiling system.
The bypass is higher, but with the same efficiency and larger media it should never need to bypass anyway.

Wix 57356 maxima filter
Style:Spin-On Lube
Filter Service:Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.402
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 363
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Wix 51182
Style: Spin-On Lube
Filter service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media:paper
Height: 5.207""
Outer Diameter Top: 3.66"
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 24
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure: 350 PSI
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21

I wouldn't use that filter if it were mine, and certainly not if it were a customer's.

24 psi versus 8 to 11 psi? You'd better hope that engine also has an internal filter bypass valve.

How do you know it doesn't need to open the bypass valve every time it is cold started in cold weather? If it does need to open cold it will be causing unnecessary wear every time. It will be forcing cold oil to be filtered, starving the engine, when what it really needs is a rapid supply of lubrication, filtered or unfiltered.

Maybe switching to a 0w oil would mitigate this, but that would mean using synthetic.

Certainly the stock oil filter will be perfectly adequate for your new OCI, especially since your engine is sludge free.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Originally Posted By: Maxima97
I would use synthetic for vq30. Doing 7.5k oci.

The weather here is not so extreme here to warrant syn. Winters seldom drop to the high 20s, and summer might hit low 90s, but very rarely. I love my car, but a 17 year old Maxima is not worth the price of synthetic either.

My weather is similar to yours. VQ3.0 engine has a high compressive ratio. The previous owner uses dino on this Maxima and leave a coat of brown varnish. I can't undo the varnish but I would use good synthetic just for less deposit. My goal is get this Maxima to 500k. If you insist using dino, get PYB for better cleaning or GTX for better shearing. According to Maxima.org, GTX used to be the favorite 10 years ago before the popularity of synthetic oil. As you can see, I use Valvoline Maxlife on many of my old vehicle. I like Maxlife because it is HTHS (above 3.2 for 5W30 weight and tons of Moly), seal condition and better cleaning.

Last edited:
GTX is good oil, and 5k OCI's would be nothing for your driving style IMO.

Upsizing filters is fun, but if you are upsizing just because of the OCI don't worry about it. Little dinky entry level name brand filters can handle 5k in a clean engine just fine.

Make sure your upsize is a dead ringer match in specs besides size as well.

Pennzoil Ultra just might make some progress on that varnish, but I'd run it at least 7.5k to get some ROI.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Upsizing filters is fun, but if you are upsizing just because of the OCI don't worry about it. Little dinky entry level name brand filters can handle 5k in a clean engine just fine.

Pennzoil Ultra just might make some progress on that varnish, but I'd run it at least 7.5k to get some ROI.

I went ahead and changed the oil 641 miles early today. Startup was as quiet as any other startup after an oil change.

The reason for the larger filter is two-fold. Both reasons are related to the extra oil capacity.
1 I like the idea of using the whole 5qt jug rather than having extra oil take up space in my small garage.
2 I feel better about stretching the OCI to 5K+ with the extra .75qt.

As far as being a dead ringer, the bypass is 24 rather than 8-11, but with the larger media I believe the pressure differential will be close to the same.

Last edited:
Nope had my 9 year old daughter crank the wheel over while I was underneath watching.

Last edited:
Ok not so good news. Napa 1182 + 49* X 3000RPM = rattling.

Next I will try a 1347 with 8-11psi bypass.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I went ahead and changed the oil 641 miles early today. Startup was as quiet as any other startup after an oil change.

The reason for the larger filter is two-fold. Both reasons are related to the extra oil capacity.
1 I like the idea of using the whole 5qt jug rather than having extra oil take up space in my small garage.
2 I feel better about stretching the OCI to 5K+ with the extra .75qt.

As far as being a dead ringer, the bypass is 24 rather than 8-11, but with the larger media I believe the pressure differential will be close to the same.

I would rather under fill than over fill. The VQ3.0 only holds 4.2 qt. But old VQ will burn some oil. I would add 4.2 and save the left for add up half way. I still have the original 9000 series OEM filer which is the best. I also like the Wix or Napa Gold filter. No need to go oversize. The VQ3.0 like to shear the oil bit and left a brownish coat of varnish. I now use PU to clean it up and result is very good. After this I will go back to Maxima.org favorite GTX or Maxlife HM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back