Oil for 1994 4A-FE engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil should I use in a 1994 geo prizm (Toyota corolla) with a 1.6 liter engine (4A-FE) and a 5 speed manual transmission? The engine rarely sees more than 4000 rpm and I try to rev match when possible. I drive it to and from school mostly, so I occasionally have to drive 70 to get to class on time, but I typically drive 30% highway driving at 45 mph, 50% freeway driving at 55 mph, and 20% city driving at 40 mph with about 16 stoplights round trip to and from home. I drive the car hard somewhat when I am running late and need to time the lights, but otherwise I try to drive it easy. I live in ojai, lowest temperature I see is 20 F with the highest being 110 F, college is in Ventura with temperatures rarely going above 90F or below 40 F.
The engine is out of a 1995 model, I am burning minimal oil between changes even though the odometer is at 250k, the seller claims that the engine has less than 100k on it.
Recommended oil is API service SH SAE 10W-30 for temperatures 32 F and up, 5W-30 for temperatures 50 F and down. Recommended oil change is every 7500 miles unless severe driving conditions, than it is 3750 miles.
I'm running the walmart brand of conventional 10W-30 oil in it right now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Sounds like Rotella T6 weather.

More like Rotella T5 10w30 would be my choice. I would split the difference and change at 5000

Last edited:
Any good 5W30 would be my choice . I don't like to see anything over 5W? when the engine has an OHC , you want the oil to get up to it ASAP on cool mornings and you have had some in CA of late so I understand . The "5" is the important part of that for those who still don't get it .

I just sold my 2nd Geo Prizm. Exact same car as yours - mine at 208k on it.

This engine will run forever, and isn't very hard on oil. Stick to 5k changes and whatever special you can get your hands on; monitor levels, and worry about bigger issues in life....

If it starts to use oil, experiment with any of the HM conventional oils.

Originally Posted By: HMan
I pulled the dipstick after 500 miles, it was right at the full mark. Would 0W-30 be a bad idea?

Not at all . I'm running German Castrol 0W30 in my 07
fusion with DOHC . With the cold weather up here getting oil flowing ASAP is important .

Back in the 70's when the OHC Pinto was popular and 10W30 Dino motor oil was about all that was available we had cams going out of those 2.3 engines all the time . I guess some testing in near zero temps showed it took over 5 minutes before oil was getting to the cam bearings .

Any SL-M-N 5 or 10W-30 @ 5K intervals will be fine.

That's hardly severe service, IMHO. NexGen MaxLife (almost FAR) immediately springs to my mind...

Cheers!

Would I see any benefit from synthetic in this engine? I get 35 to the gallon on conventional 10W-30 and the engine burns no oil.
Is it agreed that I should run 5W-30 year round to deal with starting wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back