Advantages of Synthetic Base Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Art_Vandelay - It can only really be determined by a trended UOA programme.

However, going by the Euro Manufacturer's OCI experience over the last couple of decades I would suggest around 50% for modern synthetic and semi-synthetic lubricants

That said, todays API and ACEA rated mineral lubricants are great performers when used according to their specification and in their intended application

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
So in this case the Fleet’s economics were well enhanced by using a synthtetic lubricant

Stop making so much sense, Doug. Solid data has no place in the battle. Or at least tell us you sleep better at night knowing you use Delvac 1.
wink.gif

I prefer a bit of sugar in mine, Doug. But hey, whatever gets the colour right. Does natural sugar and Delvac 1 create a synthetic blend, or should I use aspartame?
wink.gif
I know, I know.... We don't get enough interesting little vehicles here. When a Kei car or a little truck gets imported, they want a fortune for the darned things.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Art_Vandelay - It can only really be determined by a trended UOA programme.

However, going by the Euro Manufacturer's OCI experience over the last couple of decades I would suggest around 50% for modern synthetic and semi-synthetic lubricants

That said, todays API and ACEA rated mineral lubricants are great performers when used according to their specification and in their intended application

Modern mineral is remarkably good. No doubt. We're very lucky, here in the U.S., with regard to pricing. It only costs another $15 a year (15,000 miles) to run synthetic over dino. So how can we not love it?

We all know that at -0* Synthetic is the way to go, I just wish there was some real data that could be used as a comparison between Synthetic and Conventional at say 20-40*. I think having that information could answer just how much (if any) benefit there is for the general public.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Besides saving money and knowing the job was done right,I find working on my car to be therapeutic in a sense. I enjoy getting outside and working on my car. Whenever I change the oil,I look over everything,clean the undercarriage,and just enjoy taking care of my car the best I can.

+ 1000000000000

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Why the gas numbers being put in?

You know the reason, Bill.
wink.gif
An extra $10 for synthetic over conventional isn't a big deal compared to $1000 a year in gas, right?

(shrug). Right! Why should I get in a tizzy spending $8 extra for Mobil 1 versus Mobil 5000, when I'm already burning almost $1000 out of the fuel tank? It seems silly for just one percent savings. The way that *I* save costs is by not blowing it on ~80 a month cable or ~50 a month cellphone.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Originally Posted By: Garak
Why the gas numbers being put in?

You know the reason, Bill.
wink.gif
An extra $10 for synthetic over conventional isn't a big deal compared to $1000 a year in gas, right?

(shrug). Right! Why should I get in a tizzy spending $8 extra for Mobil 1 versus Mobil 5000, when I'm already burning almost $1000 out of the fuel tank? It seems silly for just one percent savings. The way that *I* save costs is by not blowing it on ~80 a month cable or ~50 a month cellphone.

(I know I said was done but to answer such dumb statements I can not pass up)
smirk.gif

Amazing how you have to justify wasting $$ that will do NO good in the end run.

So instead of sticking on point you have to bring in gas and cable bills/cell phones...

Good job!
06.gif

There used to be a lot of uoas of oils like trop artic and formula shell with 7k+.
Old school BITOGERs know how to get their money's worth!

Didn't GM used to have their OLM's set to get their money's worth until they stretched a bunch of timing chains? Would that sort of damage show up in a UOA?

Originally Posted By: gregoron
Why am I not using synthetic when I know it's spec's for my car and it's better than dino?

1. My VW has a no fuss engine that could run on olive oil,
2. It burns a little bit of oil, but the dino I'm using now seems to have solved that,
3. Why pay extra when I'm getting enough already.

I'm contradicting myself as I just purchased 6 qts of synthetic oil for my next oil change. Why? The price is cheap ($32) and I would like to stick to two DIY OCI's every year if I'm now averaging 16k miles per year due a recent job promotion.

Why should I get in a tizzy spending $8 extra for Mobil 1 versus Mobil 5000, when I'm already burning almost $1000 out of the fuel tank? It seems silly for just one percent savings. The way that *I* save costs is by not blowing it on ~80 a month cable or ~50 a month cellphone.
(I know I said was done but to answer such dumb statements I can not pass up)
smirk.gif
Amazing how you have to justify wasting $$ that will do NO good in the end run.

I think natural/dino oils are junk past 3000 miles (they breakdown and coat the engine with sludge), so I don't consider the extra money on synthoil a waste or "no good".

And yes the other expenses are relevant. If you're spending $10,000 on rent and cable TV and cellphone and gasoline burning in the engine, who gives a flying sht about $10 for synthoil? Not me. Benjamin Franklin had a saying about being penny wise & dollar foolsih. You're all upset about wasting $10 on synthoil and labeling me as "dumb", but then blow thousands on other junk (dumb)

"I think natural/dino oils are junk past 3000 miles (they breakdown and coat the engine with sludge), so I don't consider the extra money on synthoil a waste or "no good"."

I disagree with this provocative statement. I have yet to see sludge in my engine with 4 - 5k OCI on good quality dino. There is a place for synthetic, but it's not due to "junk" dino oil sludging engines at 3,000 OCI. I'd suggest doing more reading here at BITOG than posting.

I think natural/dino oils are junk past 3000 miles (they breakdown and coat the engine with sludge), so I don't consider the extra money on synthoil a waste or "no good".

Just flatly not true at all. Someone needs to do some research. You just can't get away with these completely unsupported statements around here.

Congratulations you have dethroned Kelsoe and you are now the king
33.gif

I just don`t see how a grp III can be better than a dino when it is a dino. Pao or ester,that`s when I can see where it may matter if a synth is truly needed.

I guess my 350 engine in my 91' chevy truck is full of sludge using QS for like 40k in it eh? Conventional oils in THIS DAY AND AGE can go to 4-5k, then UOA it to see how things are.

Synthetic is best used under extreme service conditions (e.g. towing), or long OCIs of 10k miles or more. Locations of extreme heat (Arizona) and extreme cold (Northwest Territory, Canada) may also see benefits from synthetic over dino.

Anything short of that - dino will perform just fine.

End thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back