Any 1 million mile cars on xW-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been over ten years since the first xW-20 cars arrived in the U.S. Have any of them gone 1 million miles on that thin oil?

The highest I've seen are Honda insights on ebay with over 300,000 but I have no idea if they ran 0W-20 as per spec, or the owner ran thicker 0w-30.

This will prove nothing.

Edit: The only million mile cars I can come across were built around the 90's when 5W-20 was relatively unheard of.

The correlation you're making totally ignores the fact that most cars being fed 5W-20 or 0W-20 from factory are relatively in their infancy. 5W-30 has been around for much longer so of course you'll run into more "million mile" miracles, but it doesn't mean anything.

Edit Two: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/pictures/million-mile-club-the-worlds-longest-lived-cars

Only car less then ten years old on this list is a 2500 HD, which probably is a diesel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blackman777
It's been over ten years since the first xW-20 cars arrived in the U.S. Have any of them gone 1 million miles on that thin oil?

The highest I've seen are Honda insights on ebay with over 300,000 but I have no idea if they ran 0W-20 as per spec, or the owner ran thicker 0w-30.

Let's just say 300 posts per month. 300x12x10=36,000/10years.

I'll need to find a post by skyship, can't remember if I blocked him......

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'll need to find a post by skyship, can't remember if I blocked him......

Why would you do that? Stuff like that makes this forum hilarious.

We don't need to wait because as I mentioned earlier the Japanese engines are outlasting all others and no one specs thinner oils more consistently than they do.

I've seen a few million+ Km Town Car's for sale in the GTA, they were 2003+ models and would have spec'd 5w20.

There's a Schaeffer tear down video of a Ford 4.6 with 500,000 miles. The motor specs 5w20, not sure if they used it though. I tried contacting Schaeffer about it but didn't get a response.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I've seen a few million+ Km Town Car's for sale in the GTA, they were 2003+ models and would have spec'd 5w20.

Yep. If properly maintained a 4.6L Modular will live a very long life. Live long lives on either 20 or 30 weight oils.

230k on a 2007 honda Fit spec 5w-20..runs great and hoping for 500k at least
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: blackman777

There are a couple of Insight owners on insightcentral.net who are over 500,000 and I know that they have been using 0w-20 for the life of the car. However, that is still a long way from 1 million. Heck, I've only got 103,000 on my 2000 Insight.
smile.gif

Shoot, most 5w30's and 10w30's sheared down to a 20 weight pretty fast.

If you can find any older cars that "always" used an oil that was known to shear quickly you have your answer.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Shoot, most 5w30's and 10w30's sheared down to a 20 weight pretty fast.

If you can find any older cars that "always" used an oil that was known to shear quickly you have your answer.

Thats a ridiculous blanket statement

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would guess the car needs to be a southern car. No body or frame is going to last 1M miles up north with salt.

Only in Limo/Taxi/LEO service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back