Wdo Aussies and Europeans run thicker oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Quote:
This is the section on a Smart synthetics web site of an Amsoil dealer that has some interesting comments on the thin oil game. I don't use Amsoil products and don't like their rather twisted use of various tests to try and show they make better oils than other companies (They don't) and their OCI related guarantees are a joke in legal terms, [...] Their 35K mile OCI idea is nuts though!

Quote:
BUT their attitude and comments about light oil and oil additive use make a lot of sense.

Kinda funny that you hate everything about Amsoil, yet the second they say anything that takes your side you're on it like white on rice. skyship, you sir, are hilarious.

I know. Funny.
Like a clown.

I believe Amsoil tests are mostly filled with lies, but if I have no other tests available (such as comparing OEM oil filters), then I'll use whatever I can find. Unfortunately Amsoil is the only test I've found on that subject.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
A retired Shell service station..... gets told he's got a large sump capacity, that it takes an expensive synthetic, and that he must go at least 15,000 km before an oil change. Of course, that certainly makes financial sense and is fine for the engine, but it's a huge change for him. The Audi dealer even told him they will NOT change the oil early - they will simply refuse the job.

Wow. Time to find a better dealer. There is no harm changing the oil frequently.

Originally Posted By: Capa
First of all, all of the million mile vehicles that most of us here have heard about and have been discussed here are from the US!!! Here is a list of some of them and, no, they didn't all run thicker oil as your very wrong and broad overgeneralization indicated:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/new...ed-cars#slide-1

I doubt any of those cars ran xW-20 given their age. (Also does going one million miles really count if the engine had to be rebuilt? My car could go a million miles too if it was rebuilt after the valve snapped..... but that's too much cost.)

Originally Posted By: skyship
This is an extract from one typical oil viscosity document:

Here are some real time, as well as laboratory tested, ultimate and unchangeable truths: The ideal oil viscosity for motor oil used in conventional piston engine operating at the "normal" engine operating temperature is equivalent to SAE 30. (In range of 9 cP to 12 cP @ 100°C);

WHICH piston engine? One from the present with roller cams? Or the 90s with flat tappet? Or the 70s before CNC machining? Which and more importantly WHEN was the engine produced? It makes a difference.

And does it only apply to gasoline, or diesel pistons too? I know I can't run SAE 30 in my diesel car or an over-the-road truck. It would die quickly.

:-|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back