Leaky downspout elbows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had new downspouts an gutters installed and I can't seem to find any metal downspout elbows that don't leak, nor can the guy who installed them. They leak on the backside of the elbow, apparently from pinhole leaks from the bending process I assume. He's giving up as he's spent a ton of money powder coating new sets of them, only to have them still leak, so I'm dead in the water. It wouldn't be a big deal except how the downspouts are attached to the house because of the brick work; the leaks will certainly erode the brick. Anyone had this problem before? I'm thinking of taking them all off and using a heavy duty rubberized undercoating spray from 3M to seal them. Reviews on Flex Seal and other rubberized spray sealants are mixed but I found a few reviews of the 3M stuff that said it works awesome.

Last edited:
Never seen that before. My downspouts have folds in the inside of the elbow in the bending process. No leaks. 20 years on the house. Can you post pictures?

Hello, Then go with that. As I read your post I thought of smearing the elbows with "G.E. silicone rubber". That stuff has never let me down. Kira

Originally Posted By: Danno
Never seen that before. My downspouts have folds in the inside of the elbow in the bending process.

The leaks on mine are actually on the other side - the smooth side.

Search "gutter seam sealer" - Use this when I attach endcaps or couplings. Elbows should be attached with pop rivits to avoid drip noise.
gs-121.jpg

Last edited:
My elbows are attached with sheet metal screws. Comes in handy in late fall removing all those maple leaf seed whirly birds clogging the down pipes at the elbows.

What ARCOgraphite posted. I used something like that to seal the inside of a leaky joint, might have even been the same stuff. I just know it came in a caulk tube and was identified as a gutter sealant. Works great.

Originally Posted By: Danno
My elbows are attached with sheet metal screws. Comes in handy in late fall removing all those maple leaf seed whirly birds clogging the down pipes at the elbows.
Some of mine are attached with sheet metal screws too. I had to take the bottom elbow off to stop the bang bang bang drip noise where the water drips off the upper spout attachment screw then the water ball falls 20 feet and hits the bottom elbow turnout. bang bang BANG! Keeps me awake! Pet peve! ARGHHH! yIKES uGHHH!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Search "gutter seam sealer" - Use this when I attach endcaps or couplings. Elbows should be attached with pop rivits to avoid drip noise.
gs-121.jpg

Exactly. You can get smaller tubes from HD and lowes.

Id just apply inside the elbows with a popsicle stick and it should cover and make a more tortuous path to leak.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Some of mine are attached with sheet metal screws too. I had to take the bottom elbow off to stop the bang bang bang drip noise where the water drips off the upper spout attachment screw then the water ball falls 20 feet and hits the bottom elbow turnout. bang bang BANG! Keeps me awake! Pet peve! ARGHHH! yIKES uGHHH!

lol - I have to agree that it is like "Chinese water torture" as you are always waiting for the next drip.

drew,
the downspot elbow is now leaking, you have stuff blocking the elbow and water is backing up. take it apart and clean it. or use a drain snake from the top or bottom.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
drew,
the downspot elbow is now leaking, you have stuff blocking the elbow and water is backing up. take it apart and clean it. or use a drain snake from the top or bottom.

There is no blockage; the downspouts are brand new; it's not leaking from the joints, it's leaking through pinholes in the metal I think.

I thought the bending was a crimping and bending process. Where did the pin holes come from? Take one off and at night put a flash light in it and have a look. Unless there are metal points in a jig or bending machine to hold it in place.

My house has no gutters except for 6 feet over the front porch. Its common here because of ice in the winter ripping the gutters off.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I had new downspouts an gutters installed and I can't seem to find any metal downspout elbows that don't leak, nor can the guy who installed them. They leak on the backside of the elbow, apparently from pinhole leaks from the bending process I assume. He's giving up as he's spent a ton of money powder coating new sets of them, only to have them still leak, so I'm dead in the water. It wouldn't be a big deal except how the downspouts are attached to the house because of the brick work; the leaks will certainly erode the brick. Anyone had this problem before? I'm thinking of taking them all off and using a heavy duty rubberized undercoating spray from 3M to seal them. Reviews on Flex Seal and other rubberized spray sealants are mixed but I found a few reviews of the 3M stuff that said it works awesome.

Not exactly sure of the skill level of the installer but I've been involved in construction for almost 30 yrs. I am not an eavestrough/gutter guy but have worked with them. I have never heard of an issue such as this. I have worked with guys with brakes that bend sheet metal any which way but loose. Never a problem and I live in Canada where freezing/thawing occurs every year. I'd be investigating this further and demanding a refund.

Dont they make elbows out of PVC ? I use 4 " schedule 80 for leads away from the foundation. That aluminum must be mighty thin to have pinholes in it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I thought the bending was a crimping and bending process. Where did the pin holes come from? Take one off and at night put a flash light in it and have a look. Unless there are metal points in a jig or bending machine to hold it in place.

I have no clue where the holes came from; I assumed from the bending process. I like your light idea. I'm going to try that.

It would help if you had a picture of them (side view). Your downspout may be to long or to short... where it meets the elbow. Mine leaked there until I shortened the downspout about 4 inches.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
It would help if you had a picture of them (side view). Your downspout may be to long or to short... where it meets the elbow. Mine leaked there until I shortened the downspout about 4 inches.

From splashback inside the downspout getting between the joints? That actually could be the problem, now that I think about it. maybe I'll take a pic tomorrow. The brickwork on my house makes the downspouts kind of weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back