Another nutcase with a gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not the guns, its todays society, tv shows, movies and video games. They all glorify voilence for young people and it has been going on for years. When I was in highschool there were pickups in the student parking lot with rifles in gun racks and people never got shot.

When can we ban whackos and crazies? It absolutely IS the guns, as a means of letting off a LARGE number of effects in a nearly omnidirectional pattern in a way that no other weapon short of a bomb can.

Guns absoluely are part of the problem, because when a whacko can fire off 30 rounds in any direction they want, engaging a target at nearly any distance they want, that is a killing machine that is unmatched by anything, again, short of a bomb.

But the problem is that it is the user's intent. The gun doesnt walk in any more than the big mac climbs in your mouth causing you to be obese. It is in the heart and mind of the user. This one wasnt firing off 20+ rounds into kids, it took very few. So again, the whackos and crazies.

So again, when can we ban whackos and crazies? Because otherwise I fear they will revert to bombs and poison gas and other horrible things.

From the article:

"Many people here own guns and hunt and are steadfast in their belief that guns are not the problem, mental health is."

DING DING DING we have a winner.

Gun violence will end when mental problems stop being considered normal or "not a big deal". A guy who is known by neighbors as "not trusting the Government" and who builds a bunker in his yard is not mentally stable in my opinion.

In before this rapidly degenerates into a feud between people with political agendas looking to shovel them in overtop mental health issues...

Originally Posted By: Donald
What will it take to reduce gun violence?

http://nyti.ms/WCpNwX

1. The media to stop making wackos internationally famous in 1 minute.
2. Mental health professionals be legally responsible for allowing violent bent wackos to roam freely. (Va. Tech)
3. Hollywood makes a commitment to stop selling violence to kids.
4. Vetrans Administration gets the funds wasted on gun control to aid troubled combat vets suffering from PTSD.
5. Politicians stop using every tragedy to push their personal agenda. (R.Emanuel-never waste a crisis)
6. Strict enforcement of the gun laws on the books now.

Last edited:
The three states with the strictest gun laws also have the highest gun murder rates. Coincidence?

Originally Posted By: Donald
What will it take to reduce gun violence?

Executing or locking the gun using nutcases up for life. I prefer the former.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: whip
The three states with the strictest gun laws also have the highest gun murder rates. Coincidence?

Depends. Do they also have the greatest number of inner city inhabitants that are into gang drug and other cultural scenarios that drive gun violence?

The basic approach appears to be if any reasonable measure suggested can't stop every instance of gun violence, it shouldn't be considered at all.

A person I know has a domestic violence conviction (not a felony), yet still has an aresenal of firearms.

Last edited:

are you sure it's not the other way 'round?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Depends. Do they also have the greatest number of inner city inhabitants that are into gang drug and other cultural scenarios that drive gun violence?

Depends are adult diapers...

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
The basic approach appears to be if any reasonable measure suggested can't stop every instance of gun violence, it shouldn't be considered at all.

A person I know has a domestic violence conviction (not a felony), yet still has an aresenal of firearms.

Then he is a felon for his violation of the Lautenberg amendment.

Perhaps if we enforced existing legislation...

And if you know this...why is he still in possession of them?

Last edited:

Yes, the laws came too late...obviously. I hate when people misuse information like this.

Culture dictates a lot of violent crimes. Inner city/poor person culture is going to be more violent than in the suburbs. That is where a majority of the violent crimes come from. It is poor parenting amongst other things that causes a lot of these situations. If you can't afford kids, don't have them, but nobody has the balls to say it.

So with these crimes rocking middle class areas involving school shootings and the like...the situation is different. Depression is complicated...some people have chemical imbalances and aren't normal from birth. Others have traumatic experiences. Bullying has been an issue for years and years, but nothing was really done about it. The lack of response to such an important issue is maddening. We put so much pressure on kids to be 'cool' and popular, that when they aren't, they can be put in a really dark place. Nobody wants to be an outcast. So they resort to massive shootings as a way to be famous for something. And that's really all it is...then, when it's in the news, we talk about it and put their name all over the place...so other depressed teenagers can see it. So what happens next? They want the same attention. There's a good chance if they can't get guns legally, they'll learn how to make explosives or just find another way to obtain weapons. Either way, this particular problem has nothing to do with the guns. We're avoiding dealing with the real issue. Guns, however, have no place in our hands. Why? Because we, as a people, can't be trusted with cars, let alone guns. We drink, then hit people with our cars. Sure, not all of us, but enough of us. So you want to trust others who drink or use drugs to have weapons which can easily take someone's life? I don't see why. If you want to protect your home, get a shotgun or a dog. Assault rifles? Pistols? I'm sorry, but I think guns are cool and all like a lot of folks, but there's no reason we should legally sell any weapon that isn't single shot. No reason. Want to hunt? Use a bow and arrow. There's no skill in pointing and clicking. If you want to protect yourself, why do you need more than a single fire weapon? Make a single fire pistol. Holds one bullet.

FWIW, countries with the strictest gun laws are indeed the safest from gun related crime. A lot of it just comes down to culture, though. Japan has a combination of being socially responsible culurally and having strict laws. I would say both are important.

Its larger than guns...

when you have people pushing other people into the NYC subway
http://abcnews.go.com/US/man-killed-pushed-front-nyc-subway/story?id=18080217

killing them with hammers
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/20354782/tampa-man-killed-in-hammer-attack-in-seffner

stabbing with a broken golf club (while playing golf)
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/02/06/3715873/man-nearly-killed-in-brawl-at.html

using Fertilizer and a rental truck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing

or stabbings of 22 children in China
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/19/china-stabbing-spree-video_n_2331659.html

Whats my point?
Don't blame an object or tool...if somebody wants to kill they will.

My Grandfather was murdered in the house where I'm typing this right now. Please don't say I'm insensitive to some of the tragic things that happen with guns, believe me, I feel the pain. Every day when I walk from the kitchen to the garage I step where his body was.

It wasn't the gun that killed him...it was the person that pulled the trigger.

The idea behind better gun laws is to not make it easier for those who wish to kill. It makes sense and is the easiest partial fix in the complicated situation of people committing crimes from rage.

Can you name a valid reason why assault rifles should be legal? I love when the argument of arming ourselves against government takeover comes up...yeah...because our AR15s are going to stop nerve gas and nukes. The world has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back