Interesting developement for Toyota's 03-05 1ZZ-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Daughter wants to take her car to collage next year but, Dad is worrried that daughter won't keep an eye on the oil level.
shocked.gif

LOL, this how I my interest in piston soaks got started.
IMHO, skip MMO soaks, and use stronger solvents. I had some good results with B12 and Kreen. Unfortunately, no permanent fix yet.

Rebuilding the engine would be ideal of course.

Originally Posted By: The_Jake
Char Baby said:
My buddy is still looking for a cure as the compression is fine on all cylinders, the coolant level is OK and the PCV is good too!

Any recomemdations?

Skip that it is piston rings, seals and there is a TSB for engines with less than 60,000 miles,

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Jake
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Engine already has >100K miles

So how is that piston soak going.....
13.gif

laugh.gif
It's not!

I actually read that TSB, nothing to it, very easy to do

Steps

1) Remove the engine
2) Remove the head
3) Replace the pistons
4) Reassembly is the reverse

I am not kidding; the TSB was almost like that! Go check it out yourself if you don't believe me.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I actually read that TSB, nothing to it, very easy to do

Steps

1) Remove the engine
2) Remove the head
3) Replace the pistons
4) Reassembly is the reverse

I am not kidding; the TSB was almost like that! Go check it out yourself if you don't believe me.

crackmeup2.gif

In that aspect landing on the moon was easy as well.
1. Build a rocket.
2. Train astronauts.
3. Launch the rocket.
4. Land on the moon.

Child's play
lol.gif

I was not kidding; here it is verbatim from that TSB

Repair Procedure
Replace the piston and piston ring set.
1. Remove the engine assembly and place on an engine stand.
2. Remove the cylinder head assembly.
3. Remove the pistons from the connecting rods.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I was not kidding; here it is verbatim from that TSB

Repair Procedure
Replace the piston and piston ring set.
1. Remove the engine assembly and place on an engine stand.
2. Remove the cylinder head assembly.
3. Remove the pistons from the connecting rods.

confused2.gif
Which TSB? The TSB Jake posted goes on for 24 pages with links to more information in the electronic service info for steps like removing the engine, cylinder head etc.

Hey Guys,

I just found this when reading up on "Freindly_Jacek's" post about the Prius piston issues and Kreen/B12 on this other thread:
"Toyota Hot Piston" issue by Friendly Jacek

and I was curious about the problem you guys were having as it seems similar to other TSB's for the Caddy North Star and the GM Piston and Ring Cleaner used for some GM piston ring problems like the Saturn which are all solved by drilling holes into the piston oil ring land from what I remember reading as the solution.

Since the Toyota TSB mentions a piston skirt temp problem, has anyone thought of a way to address that heat problem?

Here's just a few ideas if it is maybe also a localized problem of overheating the oil film in that area and my thoughts would be to try to lower those temps with an oil cooler, and run Evan's Coolant which is a very different technology that has been proven to lower hot spots and focalized boiling within the water channel s in heads to prevent detonation.

Just a thought!

Maybe some gourmet or boutique $$$$$ synthetic oils that are out there to control friction and/or prevent the oil from vaporizing or whatever.

There is also a combustion improver that has been out for years and has lost its luster but apparantly, the technology is fairly credible since it is really touted for industrial uses. Remember the RXP Gas Kicker Fuel Additive? It was marketed as a way to improve combustion gases to beat smog tests, but also decarbonized combustion chambers in the process...... Their scientific paper discusses their theory of Radiant Containment. They have a few different older websites that I thought discussed the theory in more detail and how I think it lowered piston crown temps. Here it is:
RXP Scientific Explanation

There is also another industrial fuel additive that is supposed to stabilize combustion chamber temps by its affect on the physical properties of the fuel droplet size called "VISCON" where I had posted some info on the site, and there are some old post going back 6+ years that discussed it when it was available to consumers. They have only just begun to start up their consumer marketing program again, but mainly geared to quantities to treat large quantities of Big Rigs tanks and was available at a few different truck stops in California to the trucking industry.

Not sure if any of these suggestions can combat the Toyota Piston Temp problem, but maybe something could work without taking the motor apart.....

It makes me wonder why Toyota wants to have more oil in the crankcase....maybe that would drop oil temps and/or prevent dilution of the additive package if the oil was run low.

Hope this helps and maybe others can come up with other ideas to lower piston skirt temps. to see if that resolves your problems.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back