Keltec P32?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I know I just said this isn't really a gun forum, but...

whistle.gif

While I love my LCR it's still a bit stout on recoil. And all of 5 rounds. Would like to add to my safe, and possible to carry; am not looking to get rid of the LCR at all. Might carry the P32, though, instead of the LCR: think trading capability for capacity. I see 10 round magazines for the P32; even if I couldn't get all 10 in it should still be 9+1, which 2x the LCR capacity.

My question, is, well, thoughts about this. I'd want to shoot this regularly. I try to shoot my LCR regularly (as with my SP101), and am not worried about wearing it out. I'm not so sure about the P32, though. The NAA in 32acp (not the 32NAA) is much heavier and has more recoil (but does have 10 round mags available), so I'm kinda ruling it out (unless I find one cheap). I think the NAA might last longer, but I've read the recoil springs are small and need frequent replacement. I already reload 38spl, so I think I could easily get set up for reloading 32acp on the cheap.

I prefer pocket pistols. My SP101 is about as large as I want, and it's too large for a pocket. A G26 (or whatever the smallest one in 9mm is) is probably still too big for the pocket carry I prefer.

I already have a Ruger MkII pistol in 22lr. Fun gun. But shooting that is in no way "practice", SA trigger and long sight radius and slight recoil vs DA trigger and short sight radius and lots of recoil.

That's awfully low on the side of stopping power. I'm not a fan if anything less than 9mm or .38spl. Is something like the Kahr PM9 an option?

Originally Posted By: supton

whistle.gif

While I love my LCR it's still a bit stout on recoil. And all of 5 rounds. Would like to add to my safe, and possible to carry; am not looking to get rid of the LCR at all. Might carry the P32, though, instead of the LCR: think trading capability for capacity. I see 10 round magazines for the P32; even if I couldn't get all 10 in it should still be 9+1, which 2x the LCR capacity.

My question, is, well, thoughts about this. I'd want to shoot this regularly. I try to shoot my LCR regularly (as with my SP101), and am not worried about wearing it out. I'm not so sure about the P32, though. The NAA in 32acp (not the 32NAA) is much heavier and has more recoil (but does have 10 round mags available), so I'm kinda ruling it out (unless I find one cheap). I think the NAA might last longer, but I've read the recoil springs are small and need frequent replacement. I already reload 38spl, so I think I could easily get set up for reloading 32acp on the cheap.

I prefer pocket pistols. My SP101 is about as large as I want, and it's too large for a pocket. A G26 (or whatever the smallest one in 9mm is) is probably still too big for the pocket carry I prefer.

I already have a Ruger MkII pistol in 22lr. Fun gun. But shooting that is in no way "practice", SA trigger and long sight radius and slight recoil vs DA trigger and short sight radius and lots of recoil.

You can actually hit something with that MkII pistol in 22lr because it is accurate. If you can hit in the head, knees, or groin, I think you will stop them.

Originally Posted By: TTK
Originally Posted By: supton

whistle.gif

You can actually hit something with that MkII pistol in 22lr because it is accurate. If you can hit in the head, knees, or groin, I think you will stop them.

But it fails as a pocket pistol...

I have a PPK in .32 that I pocket carry frequently. It is a very nice shooter. I also have a Tomcat that I pocket carry. It has more recoil than the Walther. Some people complain of slides cracking on the Beretta.

I've seen The little Kel-Tecs but never paid much attention to them.

I think I held one once; small little package. I'd probably get the 10 round magazine quickly, so as to get another finger onto the gun. I did hold a NAA Guardian years ago, heavy long trigger noted, and a heavy brick with minimal sights.

I've read of the same problem on the Tomcat, hence my avoidance thus far. They probably have it fixed; but they cost more than the Keltec. Take your pick, pay your money I guess. I wouldn't mind a Beretta 21A in 22LR at times.

Local gunstore has (or had) a used Keltec, and IIRC a couple new ones, in 32cal. Hence the thinking. I think a different store had ammo, but I'd only buy a couple of boxes and then order brass I think along with the dies.

P3AT .380 is not much more expensive than the P32.

There are still those who will sneer and say, Thet don't got 'nuff takedown power.... .380 won't even kill a squirrel.

Yeah. Whatever.

You go up to a 9 rd mag and it is arguably dollar for dollar the best small pocket pistol.

There are better .380s of course. but they are significantly more expensive.

Held the P32 today. My, it's small. Almost too small. I could see how it's easy to carry, but I question my ability to shoot it well--just not enough hand contact. Practice, I know. But I certainly would want a magazine extension, if not the 10 round magazine as a rule--barely could keep my ring finger on it, and I don't have large hands.

They had a Beretta 950 (albeit in 22short) which fits real well. Chunky block of steel. Will have to see about holding a Tomcat. More expensive, but, I'll spend more on ammo. Or I should spend more on ammo, I should say.

I might have to wait a few more years before deciding. Want more capacity but do not want more recoil. Ideally something I could shoot one-handed, if necessary.

When my mother's arthritis got so bad her 25 year old Ruger revolver got to be too much to shoot I got her a used Walther PP in 32acp. Big(about the same size as a Bersa 380)and she loves it. The weight makes the recoil almost non existent.

@ supton - I have both but favor the Tomcat for ease of loading....my wife could not (reliably) work the slide on the Keltec whereas the Beretta has a tip up barrel for loading the chamber. Both work EACH and EVERY time you puill the trigger.

Not enough stopping power? Let's see the normal bad guy wade through 5, 6, or 7 71 grain bullets. What if he's on drugs the naysayers will spout? He's going to wade through the same amount of .380's or .38's both of which have way more recoil than the .32.

I love all of my Keltecs and carry a pocket P3AT all of the time but when I need smaller (think swimsuit and etc)the P32 or Tomcat get the nod.....typically the Tomcat though, especially since I have CT.

Another option and one I bought a year or so ago is a 2" .22WRM 8-shot revolver....just a little bigger than comfortable pocket size, very easy to shoot and 8 rounds at your disposal....we keep ours as the "den" gun. Smaller is the NAA Pug, .22WRM but also single-action.

I like the tip up barrel, but I didn't have problems with the slide on either. I might just have to take the plunge, although for some reason the price on the used P32 went up $25 bucks since the last time I was there. At that price I'd just as soon get the brand new one that is like twenty bucks more.

And then wait for the durn 10 round mags to come back in stock. Sometime... In the meantime I should find one of those slip-on covers, fatten the grip a hair. I have no real qualms carrying the LCR in my pocket, so making the grip fatter would work really well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back