Help with timing belt Eclipse V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I own a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse with the 3.0L V6 engine. The car have 90,000 miles on it, and i'm pretty sure the timing belt has never been changed. I'm very worried about the timing belt because it is an interference engine (that's what i have read on the internet).
I'm going to attempt to change the timing belt myself tomorrow. I need help, i have two questions.

1) I am a student and im in a budget right now. So i'm just replacing the belt itself,the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley.
I'm going to reuse the water pump and the hydraulic tensioner (that little thing that has a pin and you have to put it in a vise to take it back to it's original position).
Is there any major problem if i reuse the hydraulic tensioner? (i can't afford a new one)

2)when aligning the timing marks with the ratchet.....I must go clockwise? does it matter if i turn the engine counter-clockwise?

thanks.

Last edited:
I *have* heard anecdotal evidence before that turning an engine over backwards is bad, mostly pertaining to various things. Some bearings don't like it, some cams are setup to only spin one way and turning it backwards can cause binding against components that aren't worn in that direction, some pumps or oil pumps won't spin happily in reverse. If you can, I'd say avoid it. If you can't? You're honestly probably fine. Most of this is likely old gearhead logic that no longer applies, if it even did in the first place. I'm sure others will have more info for you.

As for the hydraulic tensioner, that really depends if its working properly (firmly) or not. I know on my car, ones with the hydraulic tensioner have a reset procedure so it can easily be reused. Of course, a faulty tensioner that can't hold pressure is a fast way to eat a new belt, and most will tell you to replace it anyhow for peace of mind, so its a gamble.

You are in a tough spot as far as doing this job on a small budget.
Never skimp on this job with an interference engine it can come back at you very soon.

Look at Rock Auto for a kit from Aisin, you might be able to do this job a lot cheaper than you think.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You are in a tough spot as far as doing this job on a small budget.
Never skimp on this job with an interference engine it can come back at you very soon.

Look at Rock Auto for a kit from Aisin, you might be able to do this job a lot cheaper than you think.

+1 and be sure to get the latest Rock Auto discount code from the product rebate section on here. Also, do not rotate the engine backwards.

Rockauto discount code, 129301241759655, good to March 17, 2013.

Enter the code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart for a 5% discount.

Rotate engine to TDC and start from there, no need to rotate the engine either direction except for a small amount to make things align, then either way is OK. Small being a few degrees +-5.
YMMV

Rock Auto has kits w/o water pump ranging from about $40 - $87. It looks like Beck Arnley # 0291075 may be the best bargain, as it comes with the tensioner. The tensioner by itself is about $60. Rock Auto seems to have a good deal on the BA timing kit. It's considerably more expensive on Amazon and ebay.

I've never used a BA timing belt kit, but I have used a handful of BA parts and they've always been good quality.

419l1xweoDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm not familiar with this engine, so I don't know if it's a safe bet to skip changing the water pump.

I'm assuming you've seen these links:
http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-eclipse-g...os-good-go.html

http://www.club3g.com/forum/maintenance/118492-how-change-timing-belt-v6-pictures.html

http://www.wikiauto.com/Mitsubishi-Eclipse-2000-2005-Timing-Belt-Replace.ashx

I personally wouldn't get a Gates timing kit. I had a gates belt pulley fail in only a month once. From that experience and what I've seen here, their hard parts can be generic white-box Chinese parts with a Gates sticker.

The hydraulic tensioner should be OK. Good call on the pulleys with the belt.
Read all you can, and get all your tools,gaskets, sealers, cleaners,etc, in order first. And a place to lay out the parts. Taking pictures as you work can be a life saver.

If you plan on keeping the car, change out the tensioner. There have been VERY few if any hydraulic tensioners i have done that were still good at the time of service.

Last edited:
I have dealt with so many water pumps and tensioners that fail soon after t-belt replacement that I insist on doing the job with the whole set. 10,000 miles from now you will probably be replacing all those parts, and that is going to cost more than just replacing it now.

I also like the idea of using rockauto and buying an Aisin or Beck/Arnley timing set.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I personally wouldn't get a Gates timing kit. I had a gates belt pulley fail in only a month once. From that experience and what I've seen here, their hard parts can be generic white-box Chinese parts with a Gates sticker.

The last Gates kit I got was an American belt, Canadian tensioner, Japanese idler.....and Chinese water pump.
33.gif
(Chrysler A855)

I do not envy the OP for having to do a 6G72 but at least it's the SOHC 6G72. It could be worse in the DOHC Diamante or 3000GT.

I'd be afraid to not do the water pump. It runs off the back of the timing belt in between the cylinder banks. It's very little extra work to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back