Volvo XC90 3.2L, want to use Rotella T6???!!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new to my family 2008 Volvo XC90 w/ 43k miles dealer said they would use a full synthetic 5w30, I would like to use Rotella 5w50 T6, What do y'all think? I found this interesting read on...

2008 Volvo XC90 3.2 Sport 6Cyl3.2L - Preventive MaintenanceFollow .What type of motor oil is really best for this car?
I'm told by some very well educated mechanics that this vehicle is required to use an ACEA A1/B1, or WSS-M2C9130A/B approved oil when sold in Europe but that Volvo only requires ILSAC GF-4 approval in North America. They also recomend switching to dexos1 approved oil later this year instead of the new ILSAC GF-5.

And, they recomend switching to VW 504/507 approved oil (instead of VW 502) for my 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. They insist that I'm risking serious engine damage using any of the oil from my local parts store (even the full synthetic).

My local parts store says that all of this is hogwash and that I can use any oil that is API approved and the correct viscosity. But, nobody at the parts store has ever heard of the oil ratings listed in my owners manual. And they don't have any products that meet those ratings.

Who do I believe?

it's absolutely 100% true. The ACEA rating system is controlled by car manufacturers who have an intense interest in protecting their engines during the warranty period. API & ILSAC are dominated by oil companies who are motivated by a shortage of higher quality group III base stocks and a surplus of cheaper group I base stocks.

In Europe, Technicians have far more stringent education requirements and independent shops typically have direct affiliations with OEMs. So, in Europe, OEMs can spec whatever oil is best for the car and know that the typical shops and techs will understand that spec. Europe also has a very reasonable and stringent definition of the term "synthetic" when it is applied to motor oil.

In the USA, there are no such educational requirements and the oil industry has created a dependency on brand loyalty, SAE viscosity rating and the term (synthetic). In the good old USA, our definition of synthetic is so meaningless that every name brand product sold here since 1992 legally qualifies as "full synthetic". And, technicians in this country falsely assume that all SAE 5W-30 products are the same viscosity (nope - there are thick 5W-30s and thin 5W-30 that can not be safely substituted for each other).

Most of the common "full synthetic" 5W-30 oil products that you would find at your local auto parts store will fail to provide needed protection and fail to meet warranty requirements for most European cars that require a 5W-30 product. VW and BMW routinely deny warranty coverage for engine damage that is caused by use of the improper oil products. Any 5W-30 that is approved for most North American GM products is too thin for VW, BMW or Mercedes Benz. Any 5W-30 product that is approved by Mercedes, VW or BMW is too thick for North American GM products. And, the differences go far beyond viscosity.

Ignoring the differences in oil can turn on the "Check Engine" light. But, failure to turn that light on is no assurance that you have the correct oil. Likewise, using the wrong oil may not do any damage during many common city driving conditions. But, that same oil can quickly damage the engine under other driving conditions.

The wrong oil can also accelerate catalytic converter failure. And, with OEM recommended oil change intervals exceeding 15,000 miles on many models, differences in the longevity of the oil are also critical. Some motorists have had their oil or transmission fluid changed early based on recommendations from an independent shop. When the independent shop services the transmission with a "Universal fluid" or otherwise unapproved fluid, they often damage the transmission/engine and void the OEM warranty. The oil manufacturers typically claims to "guarantee" their oil/fluid but that "guarantee" almost never actually applies due to exclusions (fine print).

Any shop that fails to understand the ACEA oil rating system and ASTM testing standards is poorly equipped to protect their customers vehicles and other interests. Vehicle warranty is increasingly denied when the incorrect oil, transmission fluid, coolant and even oil filters are installed. And, these denials have been upheld by court challenges under the Magnuss & Moss act.

The GM Dexos approval is only one of many examples of the above. GM spent a full decade trying to prevent oil companies from misleading consumers by labeling substandard oil products as "GM Approved". At every corner the oil companies found new ways to legally claim that their misleading claims were technically "correct". GM finally created the dexos 1 and dexos 2 trademarks licensing requirements to control the quality of oil used in their cars and to make it easier for consumers and technicians to confirm compliance. This dexos licensing process actually reduces the cost of bringing high quality OEM compliant products to market. But, it makes it far more difficult for an oil company to falsely represent a substandard product as compliant. Any oil company that claims dexos compliance on any of their products without displaying the dexos trademark logo should not be trusted. ("dexos 1" and ILSAC compliant products are perfect for many North American and Asian designed products but are NOT appropriate for German and many other European designed products).

Doing some research... 5w-30 is the recommended viscosity. However you can use 0w-30 or 0w-40 in extreme temps, towing, and mountainous regions.

Try Mobil 1 0w-40

You need and will be best served with IMHO:
Grade - 5W30
Brand: M1 EP, PU & Edge w/Titanium and other equivalent oils.

For Severe Service: min SL approved 40wt

No one here has given a bad choice, I'd like to add Quaker State Ultimate Durability(QSUD) 5w30 to the mix.You would be hard pressed to surpass it at it's cost.

The t-6 is DPF approved which means the add pack is a bit weaker in the zddp department and in my experience is the most shear prone in the rotella line.
German castrol is great oil as is the king M1 0w-40. If dexos works for you qsud is a great oil as are all the dexos approved choices.
You have alot of options. Maybe try a few different ones,see which your engines likes the best,or which your wallet favours.

Not good with posting links on the phone but here goes.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7073092

Nope won't select the correct page, keeps going to the search page, so just type in XC90.

There are a list of all the approved viscosities at the bottom of that page.

But the better fuel economy spec is ACEA A5/B5.

A1/B1 is the fuel economy spec that can be met with semi synth oils. I have never found an A5/B5 that is less than full synth.

Castrol suggest 0w30 Edge, Mobil suggest 0w30 ESP.

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_which-oil.aspx

Is the Mobil oil checker for Europe.

Lots of approved Viscosities there.

In recent times the most common oils specced in Europe seem to be 5w30 and 0w30.

Actually not so recent, we are talking over a decade in the case of some manufacturers.

Last edited:
I am not sure why the oil checkers all give low saps rather than an A5/B5 selection.

But I suspect it is more to do with the fact the engine is not overly fussy when I comes to oil.

It says it can use -w40 oils, which I have never seen in low HTHS oils.

I don't have a UK/EU handbook to check so I am at a disadvantage. Don't think they sold many 3.2 XC90's in the UK to be honest.

Have seen a few of the top spec 4.4, a few turbos but most over here are D5's.

I have checked the Opieoils site and that specs 5w30 or 0w30 in A5/B5.

But checking on Millers oil website provides two specs.

Both 5w30, one is an A5/B5, one is C2, C3-10.

Why?

Who knows.

Could be something to do with the longer OCI common in Europe?

At least it means it is difficult to out the wrong oil in it!

If it was mine I would be looking toward a 0w30 if money was no object, or 5w30 if I wanted to change oil more often.

It would be handy if there was an easy way to find these viscosity charts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back