Oil Recommendation for 2010 Acura RDX 2.3L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have been off these forums for awhile now but am back as I need your suggestions & recommendations.

I have recently purchased this RDX with a 2.3L 4 Cyl Turbo with 55k KM, all previous oil changes done at the dealer with Mobil 1 & OEM filter. The manual recommends a HTO-06 Synthetic Oil in 5W30 year round. Right now my choices here are Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum & Petro Canada which are easily available. My dilemma is that I have a huge stash of "Made in Germany" GC 0W30 Green & yellow with me & would like to use up that before I start buying new oil, so will you recommend using up GC 0W30 over the recommended oil? I am not too much worried about any warranty issues using the GC as I am confident the oil is one of the best available out there.

I will be changing the oil strictly as per the OLM which is very conservative in RDX as my last 2 oil changes with recommended HTO-06 oil i only got 6000-8000 KM between oil changes, which is what most other RDX owners are getting. 1st one was done by the dealer before delivery with Mobil 1 5W30 & OEM Honda A02 filter & the 2nd was done by myself using Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 using K&N oil filter. I will be using Mobil 1 or Wix or K&N oil filter at every oil change.

On other RDX forums any oil that is not HTO-06 certified is a big No-No but from what I remember about the GC 0W30 from BITOG a few years ago when this oil was making waves in our community here is that it is a very sturdy oil & should be able to handle this application easily. What do you guys suggest? I tried searching for any UOA for RDX but could not find anything so your opinions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Your concerns are reasonable, seems like it is still under warranty. I see no problem you mixing your GC with cheapest 20 weight oil you can get your hands on via Walmart/CT/Napa/PartSource/CarQuest.

You can run GC by it self, me thinks its way too think and especially given our weather and yours is a low mileage engine too.

Or you can buy from the Toyota's Dealership their 0W20 to blend it with GC. Good luck finding Penzoil Ultra and if you like to stick to the spec oil that would be M1/PP 5W-30 and Honda/Acura Dealer provided HT0-06 oil.

My quick 2c worth.. You may opt to use your stash of GC, will it do any harm..? probably not.. but I would shy away from using it in your 4 cyl. turbo or not..
I tried it once in my 3.2TL V6 and I didn't like it.. too thick ( as per the seat of my pants dyno...)
J

Thanks for your suggestions. Please note that if I have to BUY new oil, I will most definitely buy one of the HTO-06 approved oils as it makes sense.

But my question is whether or not I can use the GC 0W30 instead of the recommended HTO-06 5W30 oil as I already have more that 125 liters in my stash just sitting there.

Yes you can, but it is way too thick. I have ran it in my Corolla and many here in various applications. I suggest that you dilute your GC with Synthetic Toyota Motor Oil 0W20, which can be had for as less as $6/L or less if you buy a 12 pack.

This blend should not be a problem in your turbo engine given that you will doing 5 to 8K km oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
PP M1 and PU in that order. GC doesn't met the specs IMO. Ed

Thanks, But PU doesn't meet the HTO-06 spec & and nether does M1EP for that matter.

As I said, if I have to purchase new oil for this vehicle, it will be only HTO-06 approved but I am looking at my available options with existing oil that I already have.

The engine is very responsive with the turbo, I guess I will just use the GC 0W30 for the next oil change & see if it gets any sluggish or stays the same & will report back.

Last edited:
Remember, HTO-06 is a high heat low deposit oil. Sluggish may not be the real problem here. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: r961161
Originally Posted By: Eddie
PP M1 and PU in that order. GC doesn't met the specs IMO. Ed

Thanks, But PU doesn't meet the HTO-06 spec & and nether does M1EP for that matter.

As I said, if I have to purchase new oil for this vehicle, it will be only HTO-06 approved but I am looking at my available options with existing oil that I already have.

The engine is very responsive with the turbo, I guess I will just use the GC 0W30 for the next oil change & see if it gets any sluggish or stays the same & will report back.

M1 5-30EP does meet HTO-06.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

On other RDX forums any oil that is not HTO-06 certified is a big No-No but from what I remember about the GC 0W30 from BITOG a few years ago when this oil was making waves in our community here is that it is a very sturdy oil & should be able to handle this application easily.

I have no doubt GC is a sturdy oil and one would think it could pass at least some of the requirements of HTO-06. The real issue is it's a 0w-30 and all the approved oils are 5w-30, if I recall correctly, plus it's a tad thicker than the normal, approved oils. I'd say GC would be a fine choice, but I would personally avoid it while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: buster
PU would be great too.

Good luck finding ultra in canada. I saw quarts at a shell station once.
Op. start off by using your GC. If the engine feels sluggish drain out a litre or 2 and use some 0w-20 to thin it out a bit. Be sure to get a uoa done of your fankenbrew to back yourself up in case of warranty issues.
GC might be a thick 30 grade but I doubt you'll notice its sluggish once its up to operating temp. At start up it might be though.
Update us once you decide on a course of action. I'm interested to hear your experience.

Thanks for all the responses. I am leaning towards using Mobil 1 5W30 for winter months & once temp warms up I will try GC 0W30 & see how the engine responds. Any comments?

Thanks for all the responses. I am leaning towards using Mobil 1 5W30 for winter months & once temp warms up I will try GC 0W30 & see how the engine responds. Any comments?
Did you try the mobil1 yet, UOA?

Well, i did used GC 0W30 for the last 2 OCI, no change in fuel economy. Still getting the same lowly 15.7mpg but i drive the engine hard with turbo spooling in very frequently. GC did quiet down the engine at startup, idle as well as at high rpm, so i guess the oil is working fine.

One thing i noticed that as soon as switching to GC the OLM did reduced the oci from 6-7k km before (on Mobil1 5W30) to 4.5k km with GC on both the last 2 OCI.
21.gif
confused2.gif

Now i have PP 5W30 in the engine as of yesterday so i will see if I notice anything good or bad.
08.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back