pennzoil vs mobilsuper5000 vs supertech vs Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
PYB has the best add pack.

Mobil 5000 has a decent tbn and ok NOACK.

GTX is an ok oil, but seems more proan to varnish.

If your looking for a good cheap oil go with the MS5k

If you want the best dino go PYB

Through my searches on here Pennzoil and Mobil 5k are very good, so Id go with one of those. Ive personally used Mobil 5k for the last couple of changes in both of our vehicles. The Monte Carlo burned oil before with other oils, now its coming up on a change and hasn't burnt any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me,GTX. Got my Olds to almost 300,000 miles (only reason I sold it was to get the money to buy a 3000GT).

I don't have much expirence with any of the above exept castrol. I can think of many of our 100k and 200k+ mile vehicles on castol.

I used to think PYB was the end all when it came to conventional oil. Then I tried MS5K in my Acura. At $4.99 inc. filter this was the deal of the century. Runs really quiet. PYB is great too but cheapest I've seen it lately is $2.59qt.

I've tried all and personally I'd pick the Mobil 5000. PYB is right up there with it, but it's also about $2 more per jug at WM near me. I was shocked how long and how well the Mobil worked in my niece's corolla.

I dont use Pennzoil,never have,never will.

I've used Mobil 5000,good oil!

Never used Supertech oil,dont plan to ever.

Castrol,never used it,and dont plan to.

Quite the spread in variation, isn't it?

I have heart success stories with all of the above - about to try some Castrol Edge Titanium myself which I was able to buy on sale.

I have a personal preference for Pennzoil, but would be willing to bet $10 you could not tell the difference between the four oils running in four engines. All of these oils will get your engine to 150,000+ miles as long as you keep up with maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Quite the spread in variation, isn't it?

I have heart success stories with all of the above - about to try some Castrol Edge Titanium myself which I was able to buy on sale.

I have a personal preference for Pennzoil, but would be willing to bet $10 you could not tell the difference between the four oils running in four engines. All of these oils will get your engine to 150,000+ miles as long as you keep up with maintenance.

Agreed. At 5000 mile intervals(shorter or longer depending on the particular engine) I'll bet all the mentioned oil will perform great.

Personally I almost never run the same oil back to back. I like changing it up. In my mind the different add packs and chemistry keep any possible build up to a minimum and I'm constantly learning here and trying new thing.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
PYB is great too but cheapest I've seen it lately is $2.59qt.

You're complaining about paying $2.59/qt for oil? And where the heck would you find Mobil 5000 for less?!?!

I haven't used SuperTech, but ours is different than yours anyhow, and our Mobil Super is (we think) a bit different, but I have used it. So, for the three I've used, Mobil, Pennzoil, and Castrol, I've had good luck with all three conventionals, along with Quaker State, too. I'm running what I'm running simply because that was the best deal when I built up the stash.

I really think it's hard to go wrong with any of them, assuming they meet the minimum specifications for your vehicle.

The 4 mentioned at a reasonable OCI will preform 99.99999999% the same. So it really comes down to price, availability, and brand preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back