BMW High Performance Syn 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a VOA done last week by Polaris Labs on a sample of the oil used by BMW in all their current gas models with turbo direct injection motors (including the M5 and M6). BMW recommended oci is approx 15,000 mi (motors have ecm computer algorithms plus oil life monitors) with 7 qts in the sump for most cars (not sure about M cars).

The bottle says the oil is made in the US with foreign and domestic components. It meets ACEA A3B3 and API SL/CF. I believe it is made by Castrol, BMW's lubricant partner.

Aluminum 2 ppm
Silicon 3
Sodium 6
Moly 143
Boron 60
Magnesium 12
Calcium 2157
Phosphorous 884
Zinc 1004

Vis. 100 C 11.7 Cst
Base number 8.16
Oxidation 6 abs/cm
Nitration 5 abs/cm

Couple of questions:

Why API SL? It's a currently formulated oil.

Why would oxidation and nitration show up in a VOA? I've been told that esters in the virgin oil sometimes can fool the test equipment into thinking oxidation/nitration. True?

All your comments appreciated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m6pwr

API SM and SN have imposed stricter limits on Xw-30 grades when it comes to additive levels. This oil likely has too rich of an add pack to pass API SM/SN. Similar to GC which is also API SL still.

API is irrelevant for the BMW application anyway. BMW LL-01 is a much more stringent spec.

randomhero439 said:
Since when did they use a 5w-30 in the current M models?/quote]

BMW switched from Castrol TWS 10w60 for M's with the new twin turbo v8's for the 2013 M5/M6. The M3 with the naturally aspirated v8 still uses the TWS.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: m6pwr

API SM and SN have imposed stricter limits on Xw-30 grades when it comes to additive levels. This oil likely has too rich of an add pack to pass API SM/SN. Similar to GC which is also API SL still.

API is irrelevant for the BMW application anyway. BMW LL-01 is a much more stringent spec.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize GC is API Sl also. I have a recent VOA of GC and it is very similar to the BMW oil although it doesn't have the boron and moly in the BMW oil. FWIW I found this description of what's involved in the BMW LL01 test. Pretty stringent, as you say.

This one? ~$7.50/qt? Do you have a P/N? Have you done a UOA, curious to see TBN retention, does anyone know the NOACK on this oil? I like the boron!

fluids_bmw_5w-40_lg.jpg

Any idea which method was used to discover the nitration, and oxidation? ASTM D7624?

"1.5 This test method is for petroleum and hydrocarbon-based lubricants and is not applicable for ester-based oils, including polyol esters or phosphate esters."

http://www.astm.org/Standards/D7624.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back