VW GTI 2.0T TSI Engine Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome fellow GTI owner. I just had my intake replaced under warranty at 28,000 miles. There wasn't much carbon build up on the valves. I drive 90% city also. Just buy any VW 502 oil you can find in your local retailer. Don't waste your money on the Euro made oils.

I usually do 5K OCI's. I have Havoline 5W-40 in it right now. I just bought some Mobil 1 0W-40 for $4.58 a quart. I'm due for my next OCI in 500 miles.

The Intake flapper sensor went. The Germans thought it would be a good thing to mold the sensor into the intake. You can't just replace the sensor, you have to replace the whole intake.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
GC, BC, and M1 0w-40 are full SAPS oils, so I wouldn't expect to be much difference between them in terms of add pack.

As for NOACK, since neither Castrol nor XOM publish this data, we have no way of knowing, other than they have to have NOACK of no more than 10% since that is the requirement of MB 229.5 spec which they all meet.

But if you can find an oil that meets VW 502.00 or 504.00 spec and lists NOACK significantly below 10%, that would be the ticket.

I think Amsoil Euro 5w-40 (mid SAPS version) would do well in this application, but it's not on the official VW list, of course.

M1 0w40 is 8.8%.

Thanks. Was it listed in that secret XOM presentation that leaked out? I forget...

No, IIRC somebody asked XOM and they provided it.

Thanks. I just dug up that XOM presentation and it says 9%. I guess they approximated there.

I wonder what GC's NOACK is...

Or the 8.8% is for the SM version, whilst the 9% is for SN?
21.gif

Thanks. I just dug up that XOM presentation and it says 9%. I guess they approximated there.

I wonder what GC's NOACK is...

A few years ago when I did a lot of volatility tests, M1 0W-40 consistently had lower volatility than GC. I may have posted some of the results on this forum.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Welcome fellow GTI owner. I just had my intake replaced under warranty at 28,000 miles. There wasn't much carbon build up on the valves. I drive 90% city also. Just buy any VW 502 oil you can find in your local retailer. Don't waste your money on the Euro made oils.

Thank You so Much:) I love the car thus far. I think its a great car. Really fun to drive and very practical. I have been driving Evo's for a long time, but I finally sold my Evo and wanted something more livable for DD use. Driving around in a 400whp Evo is fun, but after 5 yrs of owning my last one, I just tired of it. Not the power, of course, just not being able to haul anything, having to barrow a freinds hatchback to go to Lowes, or someone's pick up, with the GTI I still get sporty, but can haul stuff too, and that serves more useful perpose. I must admit though, I will miiss the 11 sec 1/4's though,those were fun haha. $1200 for tires every 3 months I wont miss though haha.

Jeff

Ok Guys, wow this is getting overwhelming now. I have to decide something relatively soon because I am changing the oil in the next month.

So do I stick with what VW wants which is 5w40 Syntec, Go M1 0w40, PU 5w40? I was leaning towards the PU for hopes that it will keep things cleaner with the DI motor. No where in the VW manual does it state to use a 0w40 even though I know it meets the 502.00 approval. All the manual states is a "Euro 5w30 or 5w40 that meets the vw 504.00, 503.00 or 502.00 but specifically states to use 5w30 or 5w40. So this is getting confusing
cry.gif

Based on Finglejag's experience, it sounds like any of those you mentioned will work just fine. Since they all meet the spec, get the one that's least expensive and/or easiest to find.

The dealers are now using Castrol Edge Pro 5W-40. It's fine oil, but it doesn't meet the Mercedes 229.5 spec. Mobil 1 0W-40 and Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 do. For price. I would buy Mobil 1 0W-40. You can get it for $2.00 a quart cheaper then the Pennzoil. Autozone has 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter for $33.99. They don't make a filter for our TSI. I return the filter and then the oil comes out to $4.58 a quart.

I been in the VW fan over the last 13 years. Their dealer network is their weak link. There are very few good dealers out there. The only time I bring in my car for service, is when I have a warranty issue. I do all my oil changes myself. I know what's going in my car. I know the drain bolt won't be stripped. I know the oil filter won't be tighten by a wrench, etc etc.

001-2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
The dealers are now using Castrol Edge Pro 5W-40. It's fine oil, but it doesn't meet the Mercedes 229.5 spec. Mobil 1 0W-40 and Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 do. For price. I would buy Mobil 1 0W-40. You can get it for $2.00 a quart cheaper then the Pennzoil. Autozone has 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter for $33.99. They don't make a filter for our TSI. I return the filter and then the oil comes out to $4.58 a quart.

I been in the VW fan over the last 13 years. Their dealer network is their weak link. There are very few good dealers out there. The only time I bring in my car for service, is when I have a warranty issue. I do all my oil changes myself. I know what's going in my car. I know the drain bolt won't be stripped. I know the oil filter won't be tighten by a wrench, etc etc.

001-2.jpg

Beutiful GTI is it an Autobon? Looks like it. The Oil Filter on this TSI motor is unique to me. The filter is on top. Looks easy to change. I imagine you just hand tighten it like most oil filters correct? How has the M1 been for your GTI and how many miles have you used it for?

Jeff

Based on Finglejag's experience, it sounds like any of those you mentioned will work just fine. Since they all meet the spec, get the one that's least expensive and/or easiest to find.

Thats the thing none of these oils are actually "Easy" to get. None are available at the local WalMart, and Autozone, or O'Riley has M1 0w40 and the Syntec 5w40 but want $10 a quart for them. I can get the PU 5w40 shipped to the house for $51 so to me its a wash. Is there a better of the 3? But this would be subjective to engine type and drivers style I am sure...

Jeff

I need to do a poll on this, haha. Money being no object which would you buy? PU or M1 or the Syntec? I mean sure I would like to save a few bucks, but changing the oil every 6 months or 5K miles even a $10 difference spread over 6 months?? I can afford that.

Jeff

Sounds like you really don't want to buy the M1, even when it's cheaper. So, between the Syntec and the PU, I'd go with PU because it meets more stringent specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back